Red Hat 7.2 newbie - Redhat

This is a discussion on Red Hat 7.2 newbie - Redhat ; I just installed rh7.2 on an old machine... I am just learning different variants of linux, and have spent some time with ubuntu... I am trying to determine the local network address, and I used to use cat /etc/network/interfaces or ...

  1. Red Hat 7.2 newbie

    I just installed rh7.2 on an old machine...

    I am just learning different variants of linux, and have spent some time
    with ubuntu...

    I am trying to determine the local network address, and I used to use

    cat /etc/network/interfaces

    or

    ifconfig -a

    But they dont work on RH 7.2... why is that? what do I need at the
    commandline?

  2. Re: Red Hat 7.2 newbie

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:59:41 -0600, zoomiest wrote:

    > I just installed rh7.2 on an old machine...
    >
    > I am just learning different variants of linux, and have spent some time
    > with ubuntu...
    >
    > I am trying to determine the local network address, and I used to use
    >
    > cat /etc/network/interfaces
    >
    > or
    >
    > ifconfig -a
    >
    > But they dont work on RH 7.2... why is that? what do I need at the
    > commandline?

    What you need is a modern distro. If you want to use a Redhat distro use
    either Fedora 9 or CentOS5.2. Fedora is the most up to date distro but it
    breaks occasionally because it's basically beta software. CentOS is a
    clone of RHEL so it never breaks but it's also older than Fedora, but
    still much more recent then RH 7.2. RH 7.2 hasn't been supported for years
    and you aren't going to be able to get any help for it here because nobody
    remembers anything about it.

  3. Re: Red Hat 7.2 newbie

    zoomiest wrote:
    > I just installed rh7.2 on an old machine...
    >
    > I am just learning different variants of linux, and have spent some time
    > with ubuntu...
    >
    > I am trying to determine the local network address, and I used to use
    >
    > cat /etc/network/interfaces
    >
    > or
    >
    > ifconfig -a
    >
    > But they dont work on RH 7.2... why is that? what do I need at the
    > commandline?

    So you'd like to learn to cook, and thought you'd chip flint knives to strip
    the bison?

    Let me give you a hint. Update to something still supported. I believe you
    want /sbin/ifconfig -a. RedHat does not include the sbin directories in user
    logins, by default.

  4. Re: Red Hat 7.2 newbie

    In news:UOmdnXl1N5MmVWXVnZ2dnUVZ_oTinZ2d@comcast.com,
    General Schvantzkopf typed:

    >> I just installed rh7.2 on an old machine...

    >> I am trying to determine the local network address, and I used to use
    >> cat /etc/network/interfaces
    >> or
    >> ifconfig -a
    >>
    >> But they dont work on RH 7.2... why is that? what do I need at the
    >> commandline?

    > What you need is a modern distro. If you want to use a Redhat distro
    > use either Fedora 9 or CentOS5.2.

    When you get more experience under your belt you'll find that those distros
    are incredibly "top-heavy" for old hardware.

    > RH 7.2 hasn't been supported for years and you aren't going to
    > be able to get any help for it here because nobody remembers
    > anything about it.

    Oh, horse apples ... just because you don't know enough about Linux to
    advise the OP that he wants "/sbin/ifconfig -a" because /sbin isn't in his
    $PATH, or that "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*[0-9]" is the file
    location(s) the OP is seeking, don't pretend to speak for others who are
    both more experienced and more knowledgeable than yourself about such a
    trivial issue. You don't even know enough to realize that those
    commands/locations haven't changed on CentOS 5.2 for that matter.

    Don't feel the need to shoot your mouth off every time someone asks a simple
    question about an old distro, especially when you don't know the simple and
    still current answer.

  5. Re: Red Hat 7.2 newbie

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:06:55 -0700, b.jeswine wrote:

    > In news:UOmdnXl1N5MmVWXVnZ2dnUVZ_oTinZ2d@comcast.com, General
    > Schvantzkopf typed:
    >
    >>> I just installed rh7.2 on an old machine...

    >>> I am trying to determine the local network address, and I used to use
    >>> cat /etc/network/interfaces
    >>> or
    >>> ifconfig -a
    >>>
    >>> But they dont work on RH 7.2... why is that? what do I need at the
    >>> commandline?

    >> What you need is a modern distro. If you want to use a Redhat distro
    >> use either Fedora 9 or CentOS5.2.

    > When you get more experience under your belt you'll find that those
    > distros are incredibly "top-heavy" for old hardware.

    >> RH 7.2 hasn't been supported for years and you aren't going to be able
    >> to get any help for it here because nobody remembers anything about it.

    > Oh, horse apples ... just because you don't know enough about Linux to
    > advise the OP that he wants "/sbin/ifconfig -a" because /sbin isn't in
    > his $PATH, or that "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*[0-9]" is the
    > file location(s) the OP is seeking, don't pretend to speak for others
    > who are both more experienced and more knowledgeable than yourself about
    > such a trivial issue. You don't even know enough to realize that those
    > commands/locations haven't changed on CentOS 5.2 for that matter.
    >
    > Don't feel the need to shoot your mouth off every time someone asks a
    > simple question about an old distro, especially when you don't know the
    > simple and still current answer.

    Your advice is irresponsible, nobody should be running a distro that
    hasn't had a security patch in 5 years. There are plenty of supported
    distros that can run on old hardware. I have Fedora 8 running on an old
    500MHz 384M PIII laptop and CentOS5.2 running on a 5000MHz 500M PIII
    desktop and they work just fine. If you want something lighter in the RH
    line then use CentOS3 or even CentOS2, they both use 2.4.xx kernels like
    RH7.2 did but they are still supported. If you wanted something modern and
    light you could use Xbuntu, if your hardware is complete crap you could
    run DSL or Puppy which can run with almost no resources but unlike RH7.2
    are using modern supported components.

  6. Re: Red Hat 7.2 newbie

    b.jeswine wrote:
    > In news:UOmdnXl1N5MmVWXVnZ2dnUVZ_oTinZ2d@comcast.com,
    > General Schvantzkopf typed:

    >> RH 7.2 hasn't been supported for years and you aren't going to
    >> be able to get any help for it here because nobody remembers
    >> anything about it.

    > Oh, horse apples ... just because you don't know enough about Linux to
    > advise the OP that he wants "/sbin/ifconfig -a" because /sbin isn't in his
    > $PATH, or that "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*[0-9]" is the file
    > location(s) the OP is seeking, don't pretend to speak for others who are
    > both more experienced and more knowledgeable than yourself about such a
    > trivial issue. You don't even know enough to realize that those
    > commands/locations haven't changed on CentOS 5.2 for that matter.

    Amen. I just spent time decommissioning a 7.2 system, and my RedHat experience
    goes back to the *original* RedHat 4.2, not this upstart RHEL 4.2.

    > Don't feel the need to shoot your mouth off every time someone asks a simple
    > question about an old distro, especially when you don't know the simple and
    > still current answer.

  7. Re: Red Hat 7.2 newbie

    In article ,
    General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:59:41 -0600, zoomiest wrote:
    >
    >> I just installed rh7.2 on an old machine...
    >>
    >> I am just learning different variants of linux, and have spent some time
    >> with ubuntu...
    >>
    >> I am trying to determine the local network address, and I used to use
    >>
    >> cat /etc/network/interfaces
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> ifconfig -a

    ifconfig is in /sbin, make sure that's in your path. Personally,
    I like to use the setup program (/usr/sbin) to do the network
    setup. I know that causes snickering. It will work with no
    GUI running as well.

    The other reply is correct, you can probably get away with a much newer
    distro, but i liked 7.2 and still use it on a circa-2000 machine. In
    fact, I have Fedora 9 on one partition on the same machine and it works
    fine, but I have an application that only works on something older.

    >> But they dont work on RH 7.2... why is that? what do I need at the
    >> commandline?

    >What you need is a modern distro. If you want to use a Redhat distro use
    >either Fedora 9 or CentOS5.2. Fedora is the most up to date distro but it
    >breaks occasionally because it's basically beta software. CentOS is a
    >clone of RHEL so it never breaks but it's also older than Fedora, but
    >still much more recent then RH 7.2. RH 7.2 hasn't been supported for years
    >and you aren't going to be able to get any help for it here because nobody
    >remembers anything about it.

  8. Re: Red Hat 7.2 newbie

    General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:06:55 -0700, b.jeswine wrote:
    >

    >>In news:UOmdnXl1N5MmVWXVnZ2dnUVZ_oTinZ2d@comcast.com, General
    >>Schvantzkopf typed:

    >>>What you need is a modern distro. If you want to use a Redhat distro
    >>>use either Fedora 9 or CentOS5.2.

    >>When you get more experience under your belt you'll find that those
    >>distros are incredibly "top-heavy" for old hardware.

    >>>RH 7.2 hasn't been supported for years and you aren't going to be able
    >>>to get any help for it here because nobody remembers anything about it.

    >>Oh, horse apples ... just because you don't know enough about Linux to
    >>advise the OP that he wants "/sbin/ifconfig -a" because /sbin isn't in
    >>his $PATH, or that "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*[0-9]" is the
    >>file location(s) the OP is seeking, don't pretend to speak for others
    >>who are both more experienced and more knowledgeable than yourself about
    >>such a trivial issue. You don't even know enough to realize that those
    >>commands/locations haven't changed on CentOS 5.2 for that matter.
    >>
    >>Don't feel the need to shoot your mouth off every time someone asks a
    >>simple question about an old distro, especially when you don't know the
    >>simple and still current answer.

    > Your advice is irresponsible, nobody should be running a distro that
    > hasn't had a security patch in 5 years. There are plenty of supported
    > distros that can run on old hardware. I have Fedora 8 running on an old
    > 500MHz 384M PIII laptop and CentOS5.2 running on a 5000MHz 500M PIII
    > desktop and they work just fine. If you want something lighter in the RH
    > line then use CentOS3 or even CentOS2, they both use 2.4.xx kernels like
    > RH7.2 did but they are still supported. If you wanted something modern and
    > light you could use Xbuntu, if your hardware is complete crap you could
    > run DSL or Puppy which can run with almost no resources but unlike RH7.2
    > are using modern supported components.

    I still use Red Hat 7.3 on an old Duron 700MHz with 512M RAM and it's
    perfectly good. You just DON'T need a newer, BLOATED distro.

+ Reply to Thread