Redhat RHEL 4.2 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Redhat RHEL 4.2 - Redhat ; Hi I friend is requesting assistance on a Redhat issue they are having. Unfortunately my experience is with Solaris, not linux, so hopefully someon here can help. Summary: We are trying to field a new application on RHEL 4.2 On ...

  1. Redhat RHEL 4.2

    Hi

    I friend is requesting assistance on a Redhat issue they are having.
    Unfortunately my experience is with Solaris, not linux, so hopefully someon
    here can help.

    We are trying to field a new application on RHEL 4.2

    On top of 4.2 resides a government-authored, custom application.

    Unfortunately, is seems the only machines we can purchase today have issues
    with SATA hard drive and chipset incompatibility.

    So far we have had the most success with a Dell D430 Latitude Laptop

    The issues we experienced on it is with the external Combo drive CD/DVD RW
    (D/Bay Model PD01S) will not write to CD-R, CD-RW or DVD-R, error on the
    lines of this is not a recordable device.

    The KDE icon shows it as a CD-ROM (we have an older desktop machine that
    shows the one it has installed as a CD-Recorder)

    Both of these had a clean install (Wipe Hard drive and install RHEL 4.2 then
    the application.)

    We were hoping you'd be able to locate a driver or advise how we might be
    able to make the drive operate on this particular system.

    Another approach might be to have you or one of your Red Hat savvy personnel
    research a PC (Laptop/and or desktops) that may work with 4.2. It would need
    to be a system that will be around for a while that will meet the rigors of
    government approval (i.e. certification criteria).

    Questions:

    1. Is it possible to get updated drivers for 4.2 to recognize the
    CD-Recorder?

    2. What are the system requirements for Redhat 4.2?

    Thanks in advance for any input you can provide

    Jay

  2. Re: Redhat RHEL 4.2

    Jay Grant wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I friend is requesting assistance on a Redhat issue they are having.
    > Unfortunately my experience is with Solaris, not linux, so hopefully someon
    > here can help.

    > We are trying to field a new application on RHEL 4.2
    >
    > On top of 4.2 resides a government-authored, custom application.
    >

    > Unfortunately, is seems the only machines we can purchase today have issues
    > with SATA hard drive and chipset incompatibility.
    >

    > So far we have had the most success with a Dell D430 Latitude Laptop
    >
    > The issues we experienced on it is with the external Combo drive CD/DVD RW
    > (D/Bay Model PD01S) will not write to CD-R, CD-RW or DVD-R, error on the
    > lines of this is not a recordable device.
    >

    > The KDE icon shows it as a CD-ROM (we have an older desktop machine that
    > shows the one it has installed as a CD-Recorder)
    >

    > Both of these had a clean install (Wipe Hard drive and install RHEL 4.2 then
    > the application.)
    >

    > We were hoping you'd be able to locate a driver or advise how we might be
    > able to make the drive operate on this particular system.
    >

    > Another approach might be to have you or one of your Red Hat savvy personnel
    > research a PC (Laptop/and or desktops) that may work with 4.2. It would need
    > to be a system that will be around for a while that will meet the rigors of
    > government approval (i.e. certification criteria).
    >

    > Questions:
    >

    > 1. Is it possible to get updated drivers for 4.2 to recognize the
    > CD-Recorder?

    Possibly. What are you using to write the CD's? I recommend xkcd as a friendly
    and useful application. And ist that external device a USB device, or what?

    Thinkpads also have a good reputation with Linux, and slightly old Dell's work
    well.

    > 2. What are the system requirements for Redhat 4.2?

    Depends on what you're using it for. I'd recommend a minimum of 20 gig drive,
    1 Gig RAM, and 1 GHz CPU. Anything over that should be purchaed to ease big
    applications, such as OpenOffice or your fancy government approved application.

    > Thanks in advance for any input you can provide
    >

    > Jay

  3. Re: Redhat RHEL 4.2

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 05:38:13 -0600, Jay Grant wrote:

    > The issues we experienced on it is with the external Combo drive CD/DVD
    > RW (D/Bay Model PD01S) will not write to CD-R, CD-RW or DVD-R, error on
    > the lines of this is not a recordable device.

    Get yourself a live CD of a different distro, and see if that recognizes
    the drive. (Ubuntu, Knoppix, Fedora, DSL [based on Knoppix, BTW] or
    Puppy are good possibilities here.) If it does, there's a problem with
    RedHat; if not, it may be a problem with the laptop in question.

    --
    Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
    http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info

  4. Re: Redhat RHEL 4.2

    > Possibly. What are you using to write the CD's? I recommend xkcd as a
    > friendly and useful application. And ist that external device a USB
    > device, or what?

    Yes, they are using an external USB CD-recorder. Ideally they would use a
    desktop with an internal, but they ran into compatibility issues with the
    new systems they have tried so far.

    > Depends on what you're using it for. I'd recommend a minimum of 20 gig
    > drive, 1 Gig RAM, and 1 GHz CPU. Anything over that should be purchaed to
    > ease big applications, such as OpenOffice or your fancy government
    > approved application.

    Besides being incompatable with SATA drives, is there anything else they
    should stay away from?

    Jay

  5. Re: Redhat RHEL 4.2

    Jay Grant wrote:
    >> Possibly. What are you using to write the CD's? I recommend xkcd as a
    >> friendly and useful application. And ist that external device a USB
    >> device, or what?

    > Yes, they are using an external USB CD-recorder. Ideally they would use a
    > desktop with an internal, but they ran into compatibility issues with the
    > new systems they have tried so far.
    >
    >> Depends on what you're using it for. I'd recommend a minimum of 20 gig
    >> drive, 1 Gig RAM, and 1 GHz CPU. Anything over that should be purchaed to
    >> ease big applications, such as OpenOffice or your fancy government
    >> approved application.

    > Besides being incompatable with SATA drives, is there anything else they
    > should stay away from?
    >
    > Jay

    It's usually not 'SATA drives' that are the problem. It's the amazing pieces
    of crap SATA controllers being used by some laptop vendors. In particular,
    Promise controllers are notorious for, shall we say, 'poor ability to answer
    their helpdesk telephone' and 'answering the Linux helpdesk question with a
    guideline to restart your Windows box' and 'poor compliance with published
    specifications'. This translates to 'Promise basically lies about Linux
    support', and 'it takes a year or so to work out what Promise broke this time
    and get it into the Linux kernel'.

    So running RHEL 4.2, which is roughly 3 years out of date with leading
    software and funky drivers like graphics tablets, laptop video chipsets,
    laptop power management, etc., is begging for pain. You may get some benefit
    from simply running 'up2date' and getting updated to the latest Linux kernels:
    that effectively updates you to 4.7.

+ Reply to Thread