User Management in RHEL - Redhat

This is a discussion on User Management in RHEL - Redhat ; We would like to provide User Management to our System Security Department. The requirement is :- Each SSD user will have authority to add/delete/modify users User profiles created in one server needs to be copied to other servers. Standby, DR ...

  1. User Management in RHEL

    We would like to provide User Management to our System Security
    Department. The requirement is :-

    Each SSD user will have authority to add/delete/modify users

    User profiles created in one server needs to be copied to other
    servers. Standby, DR )

    We do not want to give the Linux GUI. Instead we would like to give a
    script to manage the users.

    Please advise if it is possible to give users to manage user creations
    and where can I get hold of scripts.

    Our Linux environment is below :-

    Linux onldb1 2.6.18-53.el5PAE #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:48:18 EDT 2007 i686
    i686 i386 GNU/Linux

    Thanks

    Dhaya

  2. Re: User Management in RHEL

    sdhaya wrote:
    > We would like to provide User Management to our System Security
    > Department. The requirement is :-
    >
    > Each SSD user will have authority to add/delete/modify users
    >
    > User profiles created in one server needs to be copied to other
    > servers. Standby, DR )

    As a networked service? Or a deployed set of files? If as a centralized
    network service, you can use NIS, or Kerberos+LDAP.

    > We do not want to give the Linux GUI. Instead we would like to give a
    > script to manage the users.

    Define 'manage the users'. Add and remove one from a central server? Welcome
    to 'useradd', 'usermod', 'passwd', and other scripts to run on the server.
    Read the manual pages for them.

    > Please advise if it is possible to give users to manage user creations
    > and where can I get hold of scripts.

    See above. They're commands, not scripts: if you want to wrap scripts around
    them, you need to more precisely define what you mean.

    > Our Linux environment is below :-
    >
    > Linux onldb1 2.6.18-53.el5PAE #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:48:18 EDT 2007 i686
    > i686 i386 GNU/Linux

    That's not an environment, that's an indicator of a RHEL 5 or CentOS 5 kernel.

    If you want your centralized account management to be distributed to remote
    workstations automatically for local use, you've got a separate problem. Those
    can be difficult to synchronize, since system accounts may have different
    uid's on different servers, and locally added accounts may conflict as well.
    In such a case, I'd recommend setting up NIS on each server privately with its
    own NIS domain locally run, publishing and managing a distinct set of
    passwd/group/etc. files on a central server, and propagating those with rsync
    to the other servers.

    > Thanks
    >
    > Dhaya

+ Reply to Thread