How to set 1280 800 (widescreen) resolution in RHE Linux 4? - Redhat

This is a discussion on How to set 1280 800 (widescreen) resolution in RHE Linux 4? - Redhat ; The problem is simple. I have installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 in VMWare Workstation(though I suppose that shouldn't matter, but am not sure) and I want to set its resolution to 1280 x 800, (which is my widescreen laptop ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How to set 1280 800 (widescreen) resolution in RHE Linux 4?

  1. How to set 1280 800 (widescreen) resolution in RHE Linux 4?

    The problem is simple. I have installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 in
    VMWare Workstation(though I suppose that shouldn't matter, but am not
    sure) and I want to set its resolution to 1280 x 800, (which is my
    widescreen laptop resolution). But I couldn't find any solution to
    this. All the monitors which I selected in the Applications-->System
    Settings-->Display, had either 800x600, 1024x768, or 1280 x 960 but
    didn't have a 1280x800 resolution. I tried a few things found on the
    internet like modifying the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and replacing all
    the occurrences of 1024x768 by 1280x800, but with no success... it
    doesn't show up in the list when I select from the Display.

    Any ideas? I know it can be done.
    Thanks !

  2. Re: How to set 1280 800 (widescreen) resolution in RHE Linux 4?

    Pi wrote:
    > The problem is simple. I have installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 in
    > VMWare Workstation(though I suppose that shouldn't matter, but am not
    > sure) and I want to set its resolution to 1280 x 800, (which is my
    > widescreen laptop resolution). But I couldn't find any solution to
    > this. All the monitors which I selected in the Applications-->System
    > Settings-->Display, had either 800x600, 1024x768, or 1280 x 960 but
    > didn't have a 1280x800 resolution. I tried a few things found on the
    > internet like modifying the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and replacing all
    > the occurrences of 1024x768 by 1280x800, but with no success... it
    > doesn't show up in the list when I select from the Display.
    >
    > Any ideas? I know it can be done.
    > Thanks !


    The display inside VMware is basically VNC, so that presents some interesting
    limitations. But is there any reason you're using RHEL 4 instead of RHEL 5 or
    CentOS 5? And why do you want 1200x800?

  3. Re: How to set 1280 800 (widescreen) resolution in RHE Linux 4?

    The only reason I'm using RHEL 4 instead of 5 is that it's free
    license is available from our school and for 5 I'll have to pay. I
    have to do Systems programming in Linux and therefore don't currently
    trust other uncommon implementations of Linux(There are a lot of
    minute differences in the system calls provided in different
    implementations). The reason I want 1280x800(not 1200x800) is that
    this is the full screen resolution in my laptop (widescreen : 15.4
    inches) and without this, when I select 1024x768 it covers only a
    fraction of screen which limits my mouse movement to that fraction. So
    the reason is just my discomfort.

    Thanks,
    Piyush


    On Oct 12, 2:27*am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Pi wrote:
    > > The problem is simple. I have installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 in
    > > VMWare Workstation(though I suppose that shouldn't matter, but am not
    > > sure) and I want to set its resolution to 1280 x 800, (which is my
    > > widescreen laptop resolution). But I couldn't find any solution to
    > > this. All the monitors which I selected in the Applications-->System
    > > Settings-->Display, had either 800x600, 1024x768, or 1280 x 960 but
    > > didn't have a 1280x800 resolution. I tried a few things found on the
    > > internet like modifying the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and replacing all
    > > the occurrences of 1024x768 by 1280x800, but with no success... it
    > > doesn't show up in the list when I select from the Display.

    >
    > > Any ideas? I know it can be done.
    > > Thanks !

    >
    > The display inside VMware is basically VNC, so that presents some interesting
    > limitations. But is there any reason you're using RHEL 4 instead of RHEL 5 or
    > CentOS 5? And why do you want 1200x800?



  4. Re: How to set 1280 800 (widescreen) resolution in RHE Linux 4?

    Pi wrote:
    > The only reason I'm using RHEL 4 instead of 5 is that it's free
    > license is available from our school and for 5 I'll have to pay. I
    > have to do Systems programming in Linux and therefore don't currently
    > trust other uncommon implementations of Linux(There are a lot of
    > minute differences in the system calls provided in different
    > implementations). The reason I want 1280x800(not 1200x800) is that
    > this is the full screen resolution in my laptop (widescreen : 15.4
    > inches) and without this, when I select 1024x768 it covers only a
    > fraction of screen which limits my mouse movement to that fraction. So
    > the reason is just my discomfort.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Piyush


    Is this for Windows virtualization? Can you use CentOS 5, or try editing
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf to select the 1280x800?

  5. Re: How to set 1280 800 (widescreen) resolution in RHE Linux 4?

    It's not for Virtualization, it's just writing some multithreaded
    linux services, shared memory, synchornization constructs etc... it's
    I'm afraid I won't be able to use CentOS 5 because after development
    if anything doesn't work in the systems the prof. is going to test on,
    it'll go waste. It has happened in past also.

    Regarding the xorg.conf file, I had already tried replacing (or added)
    all the occurrences of 1024x768 with 1280x800, but nothing happened
    even after restarting.


    On Oct 12, 6:12*am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Pi wrote:
    > > The only reason I'm using RHEL 4 instead of 5 is that it's free
    > > license is available from our school and for 5 I'll have to pay. I
    > > have to do Systems programming in Linux and therefore don't currently
    > > trust other uncommon implementations of Linux(There are a lot of
    > > minute differences in the system calls provided in different
    > > implementations). The reason I want 1280x800(not 1200x800) is that
    > > this is the full screen resolution in my laptop (widescreen : 15.4
    > > inches) and without this, when I select 1024x768 it covers only a
    > > fraction of screen which limits my mouse movement to that fraction. So
    > > the reason is just my discomfort.

    >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Piyush

    >
    > Is this for Windows virtualization? Can you use CentOS 5, or try editing
    > /etc/X11/xorg.conf to select the 1280x800?



  6. Re: How to set 1280 800 (widescreen) resolution in RHE Linux 4?

    Pi wrote:
    > It's not for Virtualization, it's just writing some multithreaded
    > linux services, shared memory, synchornization constructs etc... it's
    > I'm afraid I won't be able to use CentOS 5 because after development
    > if anything doesn't work in the systems the prof. is going to test on,
    > it'll go waste. It has happened in past also.
    >
    > Regarding the xorg.conf file, I had already tried replacing (or added)
    > all the occurrences of 1024x768 with 1280x800, but nothing happened
    > even after restarting.
    >
    >
    > On Oct 12, 6:12 am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> Pi wrote:
    >>> The only reason I'm using RHEL 4 instead of 5 is that it's free
    >>> license is available from our school and for 5 I'll have to pay. I
    >>> have to do Systems programming in Linux and therefore don't currently
    >>> trust other uncommon implementations of Linux(There are a lot of
    >>> minute differences in the system calls provided in different
    >>> implementations). The reason I want 1280x800(not 1200x800) is that
    >>> this is the full screen resolution in my laptop (widescreen : 15.4
    >>> inches) and without this, when I select 1024x768 it covers only a
    >>> fraction of screen which limits my mouse movement to that fraction. So
    >>> the reason is just my discomfort.
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Piyush

    >> Is this for Windows virtualization? Can you use CentOS 5, or try editing
    >> /etc/X11/xorg.conf to select the 1280x800?

    >


    Then don't use VMware. That's just begging for pain.

    I'm not sure where you'll need to tweak things beyond that, but you've also
    entered the realm of laptop video drivers. Getting to 1280 or above depends on
    the available video memory and your video drivers. What video chipset do you
    have? NVidia? If so, you may need the proprietary NVidia drivers to get best
    performance from them.

  7. Re: How to set 1280 800 (widescreen) resolution in RHE Linux 4?

    Alright, I found it out. I was just replacing or adding all the
    entries of 1024x768 with 1280x800 .. but I also needed to this :

    Replace "HorizSync 31.5 - 48.5" by HorizSync 30.0 - 82.0
    make maxlimit of VertRefresh to 90.0
    comment the option dpms line by adding a #
    #Option DPMS
    Add this line just after this:
    ModeLine 12808003 80.58 1280 1344 1480 1680 800 801 804 827 -HSync -
    VSync

    Some of the changes done might be irrelevant, but this worked for me
    so I'm writing here.

    Thanks Nico for your efforts,
    Piyush


    On Oct 12, 7:48*am, Pi wrote:
    > It's not for Virtualization, it's just writing some multithreaded
    > linux services, shared memory, synchornization constructs etc... it's
    > I'm afraid I won't be able to use CentOS 5 because after development
    > if anything doesn't work in the systems the prof. is going to test on,
    > it'll go waste. It has happened in past also.
    >
    > Regarding the xorg.conf file, I had already tried replacing (or added)
    > all the occurrences of 1024x768 with 1280x800, but nothing happened
    > even after restarting.
    >
    > On Oct 12, 6:12*am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >
    > > Pi wrote:
    > > > The only reason I'm using RHEL 4 instead of 5 is that it's free
    > > > license is available from our school and for 5 I'll have to pay. I
    > > > have to do Systems programming in Linux and therefore don't currently
    > > > trust other uncommon implementations of Linux(There are a lot of
    > > > minute differences in the system calls provided in different
    > > > implementations). The reason I want 1280x800(not 1200x800) is that
    > > > this is the full screen resolution in my laptop (widescreen : 15.4
    > > > inches) and without this, when I select 1024x768 it covers only a
    > > > fraction of screen which limits my mouse movement to that fraction. So
    > > > the reason is just my discomfort.

    >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Piyush

    >
    > > Is this for Windows virtualization? Can you use CentOS 5, or try editing
    > > /etc/X11/xorg.conf to select the 1280x800?



  8. Re: How to set 1280 800 (widescreen) resolution in RHE Linux 4?

    Pi wrote:
    > Alright, I found it out. I was just replacing or adding all the
    > entries of 1024x768 with 1280x800 .. but I also needed to this :
    >
    > Replace "HorizSync 31.5 - 48.5" by HorizSync 30.0 - 82.0
    > make maxlimit of VertRefresh to 90.0
    > comment the option dpms line by adding a #
    > #Option DPMS
    > Add this line just after this:
    > ModeLine 12808003 80.58 1280 1344 1480 1680 800 801 804 827 -HSync -
    > VSync
    >
    > Some of the changes done might be irrelevant, but this worked for me
    > so I'm writing here.
    >
    > Thanks Nico for your efforts,
    > Piyush


    No problem, especially since I was wrong. I'm glad you found the necessary
    synchronization rate for your laptop.

    In fact, doesn't your laptop have a hardcoded refresh rate of 60 cycles? Most
    if not all laptops do.

+ Reply to Thread