Fedora 9 all updates installed as a plain vanilla workstation. I set up only
one user account on first boot. This installation was on 9/25 this year, a
couple weeks ago.

So I try to log in using the Gnome login and it does not recognize my user
password. So I log in as root, use passwd to set my user password, logout and
back in as user. Works fine until next system boot when it starts over.

I have not heard of this before and obviously I have never been a system
admin. The installation is new so no time limits have expired.

Is there something obvious I am missing?

--
Abraham was such a great con artist he sold his wife to kings many times
over and convinced the world god gave him Palestine.