Purchasing Linux Tech Support - Redhat

This is a discussion on Purchasing Linux Tech Support - Redhat ; I have about 80 PC's running Fedora Core and am considering purchasing Tech Support. (No servers, just PC's) Any thoughts/suggestions/etc.? -Richard Vaughn...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    I have about 80 PC's running Fedora Core and am considering purchasing
    Tech Support.
    (No servers, just PC's)

    Any thoughts/suggestions/etc.?

    -Richard Vaughn

  2. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > I have about 80 PC's running Fedora Core and am considering purchasing
    > Tech Support.
    > (No servers, just PC's)
    >
    > Any thoughts/suggestions/etc.?
    >
    > -Richard Vaughn

    Personally, I can't say if it's worth it to you, but I've not installed
    Fedora on any systems I control for a very long time and instead chose
    CentOS. Anyway, that seems like a lot of PCs to have installed an OS
    that you have the same issues with across them. I'd recommend
    installing it on one, getting it to work how you need and then setting
    up another. Once you get it down without issues, install it on the
    rest.

  3. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    On 2008-10-06, Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > I have about 80 PC's running Fedora Core and am considering purchasing
    > Tech Support.
    > (No servers, just PC's)
    >
    > Any thoughts/suggestions/etc.?

    What is the reason for buying tech support?

    Is what you run, really Fedora Core or just Fedora? What version?

    The beauty of Linux is that you can do systems administration of very
    large numbers of PCs with scripts, so that you do not have to walk
    from PC to PC doing the same thing over and over.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    On 2008-10-06, Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > I have about 80 PC's running Fedora Core and am considering purchasing
    > Tech Support.
    > (No servers, just PC's)
    >
    > Any thoughts/suggestions/etc.?

    What is the reason for buying tech support?

    Is what you run, really Fedora Core or just Fedora? What version?

    The beauty of Linux is that you can do systems administration of very
    large numbers of PCs with scripts, so that you do not have to walk
    from PC to PC doing the same thing over and over.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    Ignoramus8122 writes:

    > Is what you run, really Fedora Core or just Fedora? What version?

    And Fedora is not the easiest distro to use......

  6. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    Ignoramus8122 writes:

    > Is what you run, really Fedora Core or just Fedora? What version?

    And Fedora is not the easiest distro to use......

  7. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    On 2008-10-06, Maxwell Lol wrote:
    > Ignoramus8122 writes:
    >
    >> Is what you run, really Fedora Core or just Fedora? What version?

    > And Fedora is not the easiest distro to use......

    I used redhat/fedora for years. I switched to Ubuntu, for servers and
    desktops, and I want to say that Ubuntu is a lot better managed.

    I manage numerous servers with total ease, with scripts that do my
    work.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  8. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    On 2008-10-06, Maxwell Lol wrote:
    > Ignoramus8122 writes:
    >
    >> Is what you run, really Fedora Core or just Fedora? What version?

    > And Fedora is not the easiest distro to use......

    I used redhat/fedora for years. I switched to Ubuntu, for servers and
    desktops, and I want to say that Ubuntu is a lot better managed.

    I manage numerous servers with total ease, with scripts that do my
    work.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  9. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 17:32:39 -0700, Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > I have about 80 PC's running Fedora Core and am considering purchasing
    > Tech Support.
    > (No servers, just PC's)
    >
    > Any thoughts/suggestions/etc.?
    >
    > -Richard Vaughn

    Fedora is the wrong distro for that many PCs, you should be using
    CentOS5. Fedora changes much to rapidly and has much to short a support
    cycle for a system with that many PCs. If you use CentOS you won't have
    to do 80 installs a year like you do with Fedora, you'll be able to
    install it once on each system and then keep it for the life of the
    machine. You will also have to do .1% as many updates. CentOS has a few
    megabytes of updates a month, Fedora has hundreds of megabytes a week.
    Finally a CentOS update won't break anything, you can't say that about
    Fedora. For example a couple of months ago an update to X broke tcsh
    which made Fedora useless of about a week until there was a fix. If you
    switch to CentOS you won't need support, on the other hand supporting
    Fedora for 80 systems would be a full time job.

  10. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 17:32:39 -0700, Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > I have about 80 PC's running Fedora Core and am considering purchasing
    > Tech Support.
    > (No servers, just PC's)
    >
    > Any thoughts/suggestions/etc.?
    >
    > -Richard Vaughn

    Fedora is the wrong distro for that many PCs, you should be using
    CentOS5. Fedora changes much to rapidly and has much to short a support
    cycle for a system with that many PCs. If you use CentOS you won't have
    to do 80 installs a year like you do with Fedora, you'll be able to
    install it once on each system and then keep it for the life of the
    machine. You will also have to do .1% as many updates. CentOS has a few
    megabytes of updates a month, Fedora has hundreds of megabytes a week.
    Finally a CentOS update won't break anything, you can't say that about
    Fedora. For example a couple of months ago an update to X broke tcsh
    which made Fedora useless of about a week until there was a fix. If you
    switch to CentOS you won't need support, on the other hand supporting
    Fedora for 80 systems would be a full time job.

  11. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    General Schvantzkopf schreef:
    > On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 17:32:39 -0700, Richard Vaughn wrote:
    >
    >> I have about 80 PC's running Fedora Core and am considering purchasing
    >> Tech Support.
    >> (No servers, just PC's)
    >>
    >> Any thoughts/suggestions/etc.?
    >>
    >> -Richard Vaughn

    > Fedora is the wrong distro for that many PCs, you should be using
    > CentOS5. Fedora changes much to rapidly and has much to short a support
    > cycle for a system with that many PCs. If you use CentOS you won't have
    > to do 80 installs a year like you do with Fedora, you'll be able to
    > install it once on each system and then keep it for the life of the
    > machine. You will also have to do .1% as many updates. CentOS has a few
    > megabytes of updates a month, Fedora has hundreds of megabytes a week.
    > Finally a CentOS update won't break anything, you can't say that about
    > Fedora. For example a couple of months ago an update to X broke tcsh
    > which made Fedora useless of about a week until there was a fix. If you
    > switch to CentOS you won't need support, on the other hand supporting
    > Fedora for 80 systems would be a full time job.

    Richard,

    One could also use one of the RedHat Desktop variants, support included
    for one year. Subscriptions are based on per PC or per 50 PC's.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit

  12. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    General Schvantzkopf schreef:
    > On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 17:32:39 -0700, Richard Vaughn wrote:
    >
    >> I have about 80 PC's running Fedora Core and am considering purchasing
    >> Tech Support.
    >> (No servers, just PC's)
    >>
    >> Any thoughts/suggestions/etc.?
    >>
    >> -Richard Vaughn

    > Fedora is the wrong distro for that many PCs, you should be using
    > CentOS5. Fedora changes much to rapidly and has much to short a support
    > cycle for a system with that many PCs. If you use CentOS you won't have
    > to do 80 installs a year like you do with Fedora, you'll be able to
    > install it once on each system and then keep it for the life of the
    > machine. You will also have to do .1% as many updates. CentOS has a few
    > megabytes of updates a month, Fedora has hundreds of megabytes a week.
    > Finally a CentOS update won't break anything, you can't say that about
    > Fedora. For example a couple of months ago an update to X broke tcsh
    > which made Fedora useless of about a week until there was a fix. If you
    > switch to CentOS you won't need support, on the other hand supporting
    > Fedora for 80 systems would be a full time job.

    Richard,

    One could also use one of the RedHat Desktop variants, support included
    for one year. Subscriptions are based on per PC or per 50 PC's.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit

  13. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > I have about 80 PC's running Fedora Core and am considering purchasing
    > Tech Support.
    > (No servers, just PC's)

    > Any thoughts/suggestions/etc.?

    What questions do you want answered? What do you expect tech support to do
    for you? They might be willing to price digging into 80 comps but I doubt that
    comes with the basic contract.

    --
    I have a Covenant with God, exposing Abraham's most successful scan.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 4064

  14. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > I have about 80 PC's running Fedora Core and am considering purchasing
    > Tech Support.
    > (No servers, just PC's)

    > Any thoughts/suggestions/etc.?

    What questions do you want answered? What do you expect tech support to do
    for you? They might be willing to price digging into 80 comps but I doubt that
    comes with the basic contract.

    --
    I have a Covenant with God, exposing Abraham's most successful scan.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 4064
    http://www.giwersworld.org/disinfo/occupied-2.phtml a6

  15. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    On 6 Oct, 08:16, Matt Giwer wrote:
    > Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > > I have about 80 PC's running Fedora Core and am considering purchasing
    > > Tech Support.
    > > (No servers, just PC's)
    > > Any thoughts/suggestions/etc.?

    > What questions do you want answered? What do you expect tech support to do
    > for you? They might be willing to price digging into 80 comps but I doubt that
    > comes with the basic contract.

    Why buy support from RedHat?

    The original question is very badly framed - as Matt points out, what
    are you expecting in terms of support?

    For an installation on this scale, a lot of your needs may be met by a
    local IT consultancy firm whom will also be able to provide things
    which you won't get from RedHat (like onsite technical support when
    you're on holiday, Business Continuity planing etc).

    C.

  16. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    On 6 Oct, 08:16, Matt Giwer wrote:
    > Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > > I have about 80 PC's running Fedora Core and am considering purchasing
    > > Tech Support.
    > > (No servers, just PC's)
    > > Any thoughts/suggestions/etc.?

    > What questions do you want answered? What do you expect tech support to do
    > for you? They might be willing to price digging into 80 comps but I doubt that
    > comes with the basic contract.

    Why buy support from RedHat?

    The original question is very badly framed - as Matt points out, what
    are you expecting in terms of support?

    For an installation on this scale, a lot of your needs may be met by a
    local IT consultancy firm whom will also be able to provide things
    which you won't get from RedHat (like onsite technical support when
    you're on holiday, Business Continuity planing etc).

    C.

  17. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > I have about 80 PC's running Fedora Core and am considering purchasing
    > Tech Support.
    > (No servers, just PC's)
    >
    > Any thoughts/suggestions/etc.?

    Running Red Hat just the $100 per year per server would add
    up quickly with that number. You'll clearly want to support a
    few and do something else with most.

    Back years ago I had a similar flock of SGI Irix boxes. What I
    did was build a cloning process. I defined a few master
    configurations then built clones from the masters. In my case
    they were basic Unigraphics CAD stations (about a hundred),
    larger NASTRAN simulation stations (about a dozen), larger
    Unigraphics stations for the assembly work (about a dozen)
    and a small number of unique hosts like file server,
    NIS/DNS/rdist/rsync/etc hosts, DNS deligated cache only
    server. I had masters for the 3 types that had lots of repeats
    and cloned from them.

    If I were to do the same now with Linux boxes I'd purchase
    support for each of the clone masters and use kiskstart to
    clone them, plus purchase support for each of the unique ones.

    The more turn-key your boxes the fewer you need to purchase
    support for. Turn key end user systems rule in large environments.

  18. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > I have about 80 PC's running Fedora Core and am considering purchasing
    > Tech Support.
    > (No servers, just PC's)
    >
    > Any thoughts/suggestions/etc.?

    Running Red Hat just the $100 per year per server would add
    up quickly with that number. You'll clearly want to support a
    few and do something else with most.

    Back years ago I had a similar flock of SGI Irix boxes. What I
    did was build a cloning process. I defined a few master
    configurations then built clones from the masters. In my case
    they were basic Unigraphics CAD stations (about a hundred),
    larger NASTRAN simulation stations (about a dozen), larger
    Unigraphics stations for the assembly work (about a dozen)
    and a small number of unique hosts like file server,
    NIS/DNS/rdist/rsync/etc hosts, DNS deligated cache only
    server. I had masters for the 3 types that had lots of repeats
    and cloned from them.

    If I were to do the same now with Linux boxes I'd purchase
    support for each of the clone masters and use kiskstart to
    clone them, plus purchase support for each of the unique ones.

    The more turn-key your boxes the fewer you need to purchase
    support for. Turn key end user systems rule in large environments.

  19. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support

    Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > I have about 80 PC's running Fedora Core and am considering purchasing
    > Tech Support.
    > (No servers, just PC's)
    >
    > Any thoughts/suggestions/etc.?

    Support can mean many things.

    Fedora is a non-business oriented solution. So, if
    you are really basing your business on Fedora, I would
    probably switch to something like RHEL or SLES. You
    may prefer RHEL because it will be a bit more Fedora like.

    BUT... if these are desktops, you can be assured that
    on modern (born yesterday) desktops/laptops, that you're
    best bet is to run a "community" (non-business) distribution
    like Fedora.

    So... if support means patches.... then go RHEL or SLES
    on the servers side. If you have a lot of desktops and
    STILL want stability and patches... there's pretty much
    only one choice, SLED.

    If you need that up-to-date very latest and greatest because
    you use a lot of very, very new hardware, you're forced
    to use a community distribution (well... pretty much anyhow).
    You could make a good case that for >80% of the "new" issues
    that SLED could be sufficiently tweaked, but eventually you
    stumble into "unsupported" land if you go that route anyway.

    If support means somebody to come and troubleshoot your
    issues (like a functional Linux Geek Squad), then you're
    best bet is probably hiring short term consultants or
    perhaps contractors (for a longer running support need).

    If this IS truly your business, AND you already have
    a Systems Administrator, then you could invest in
    training to make the individual handle Linux issues
    as well. IMHO, having somebody there reliably is the
    best option. So hire or train would be my preferred
    solution for regular ongoing support of a business.

    So... what does support really mean to you? That is
    the ultimate question...

  20. Re: Purchasing Linux Tech Support