Problems with Fedora Core 9 ??? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Problems with Fedora Core 9 ??? - Redhat ; Anyone having trouble w/ Fedora Core 9? I've installed it on about 20 PC's and it's been nothing but trouble. Strange stuff, like: * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/sshd a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly missing * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/network a/d ...

  1. Problems with Fedora Core 9 ???

    Anyone having trouble w/ Fedora Core 9?

    I've installed it on about 20 PC's and it's been nothing but trouble.
    Strange stuff, like:
    * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/sshd a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly
    missing
    * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/network a/d /etc/rc?.d
    suddenly missing
    * CUPS service suddenly not running
    * Missing gtk library (had to re-install gtk2-devel)
    * Machines mysteriously hanging

    Is FC9 a flawed distro?

    -Richard Vaughn

  2. Re: Problems with Fedora Core 9 ???

    On Oct 5, 5:27 pm, Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > Anyone having trouble w/ Fedora Core 9?
    >
    > I've installed it on about 20 PC's and it's been nothing but trouble.
    > Strange stuff, like:
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/sshd a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly
    > missing
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/network a/d /etc/rc?.d
    > suddenly missing
    > * CUPS service suddenly not running
    > * Missing gtk library (had to re-install gtk2-devel)
    > * Machines mysteriously hanging
    >
    > Is FC9 a flawed distro?

    Nope.

    Those are odd symptoms; did you verify the downloaded ISOs before
    burning the DVD (or CDs)? See:

    Note, also, there have been numerous [kernel] updates since
    Fedora 9's release, the most recent was Sept. 20, 2008 per:

    # uname -a
    Linux antares 2.6.26.5-45.fc9.i686 #1 SMP Sat Sep 20 03:45:00 EDT
    2008 ...

  3. Re: Problems with Fedora Core 9 ???

    On Oct 5, 5:27 pm, Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > Anyone having trouble w/ Fedora Core 9?
    >
    > I've installed it on about 20 PC's and it's been nothing but trouble.
    > Strange stuff, like:
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/sshd a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly
    > missing
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/network a/d /etc/rc?.d
    > suddenly missing
    > * CUPS service suddenly not running
    > * Missing gtk library (had to re-install gtk2-devel)
    > * Machines mysteriously hanging
    >
    > Is FC9 a flawed distro?

    Nope.

    Those are odd symptoms; did you verify the downloaded ISOs before
    burning the DVD (or CDs)? See:

    Note, also, there have been numerous [kernel] updates since
    Fedora 9's release, the most recent was Sept. 20, 2008 per:

    # uname -a
    Linux antares 2.6.26.5-45.fc9.i686 #1 SMP Sat Sep 20 03:45:00 EDT
    2008 ...

  4. Re: Problems with Fedora Core 9 ???

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 17:27:09 -0700, Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > Anyone having trouble w/ Fedora Core 9?
    >
    > I've installed it on about 20 PC's and it's been nothing but trouble.
    > Strange stuff, like:
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/sshd a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly
    > missing
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/network a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly
    > missing
    > * CUPS service suddenly not running
    > * Missing gtk library (had to re-install gtk2-devel) * Machines
    > mysteriously hanging
    >
    > Is FC9 a flawed distro?
    >
    > -Richard Vaughn

    I have it on several systems, no problems at all.

  5. Re: Problems with Fedora Core 9 ???

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 17:27:09 -0700, Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > Anyone having trouble w/ Fedora Core 9?
    >
    > I've installed it on about 20 PC's and it's been nothing but trouble.
    > Strange stuff, like:
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/sshd a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly
    > missing
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/network a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly
    > missing
    > * CUPS service suddenly not running
    > * Missing gtk library (had to re-install gtk2-devel) * Machines
    > mysteriously hanging
    >
    > Is FC9 a flawed distro?
    >
    > -Richard Vaughn

    I have it on several systems, no problems at all.

  6. Re: Problems with Fedora Core 9 ???

    Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > Anyone having trouble w/ Fedora Core 9?

    > I've installed it on about 20 PC's and it's been nothing but trouble.
    > Strange stuff, like:
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/sshd a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly
    > missing
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/network a/d /etc/rc?.d
    > suddenly missing
    > * CUPS service suddenly not running
    > * Missing gtk library (had to re-install gtk2-devel)
    > * Machines mysteriously hanging

    > Is FC9 a flawed distro?

    I have installed it on three computers and no such problems nor have I heard
    of any like that.

    It is difficult to see how 20 different computers can have such a variety of
    problems.

    May I suggest you verify your installation disks? That is, run the test you
    are offered when the disc is first loaded.

    --
    The Hebrew translation of the Old Testament appears in history
    centuries after the original Septuagint appears.

  7. Re: Problems with Fedora Core 9 ???

    Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > Anyone having trouble w/ Fedora Core 9?

    > I've installed it on about 20 PC's and it's been nothing but trouble.
    > Strange stuff, like:
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/sshd a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly
    > missing
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/network a/d /etc/rc?.d
    > suddenly missing
    > * CUPS service suddenly not running
    > * Missing gtk library (had to re-install gtk2-devel)
    > * Machines mysteriously hanging

    > Is FC9 a flawed distro?

    I have installed it on three computers and no such problems nor have I heard
    of any like that.

    It is difficult to see how 20 different computers can have such a variety of
    problems.

    May I suggest you verify your installation disks? That is, run the test you
    are offered when the disc is first loaded.

    --
    The Hebrew translation of the Old Testament appears in history
    centuries after the original Septuagint appears.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 4053
    http://www.giwersworld.org/israel/bombings.phtml a5

  8. Re: Problems with Fedora Core 9 ???

    Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > Anyone having trouble w/ Fedora Core 9?
    >
    > I've installed it on about 20 PC's and it's been nothing but trouble.
    > Strange stuff, like:
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/sshd a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly
    > missing
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/network a/d /etc/rc?.d
    > suddenly missing

    Somebody had a bright idea and proven, known and well documented SYSV init
    process was replaced by an undocumented moving target called "upstart". You
    can see the results. This, at least for me, would be a reason to switch
    distros. OpenSuSE does not use Upstart that but there is significantly less
    software for OpenSuSE then for Fedora. In that regard, Fedora is a flawed
    distro. In my opinion, switching from F9 and RH to something else is just a
    matter of time. F9 is an unmitigated disaster.

    > * CUPS service suddenly not running

    Had no such problems.

    > * Missing gtk library (had to re-install gtk2-devel)

    Had no such problems.

    > * Machines mysteriously hanging

    Had no such problems.

    > Is FC9 a flawed distro?

    I believe so. Unfortunately Linux, as an operating system, is not of the
    highest quality. It's much harder to administer, tune and diagnose then any
    of the commercial Unix flavors. Linux still cannot answer a question
    like "which process is doing the most of writing to /dev/sdc7?". One cannot
    limit the size of I/O cache and control paging parameters. So
    called "swappiness" is a disgusting concoction, when compared to HP-UX,
    Solaris or even BSD 4.4. SCSI drivers are just an emulation, which results
    in many more interrupts then is the case with Solaris, HP-UX or AIX.
    Interrupts are expensive costly in terms of performance.
    Linux as an OS is rather weak and its only advantage over other versions of
    Unix is its price. Fedora is a flawed distribution of a flawed OS.

    --
    http://mgogala.freehostia.com

  9. Re: Problems with Fedora Core 9 ???

    Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > Anyone having trouble w/ Fedora Core 9?
    >
    > I've installed it on about 20 PC's and it's been nothing but trouble.
    > Strange stuff, like:
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/sshd a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly
    > missing
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/network a/d /etc/rc?.d
    > suddenly missing

    Somebody had a bright idea and proven, known and well documented SYSV init
    process was replaced by an undocumented moving target called "upstart". You
    can see the results. This, at least for me, would be a reason to switch
    distros. OpenSuSE does not use Upstart that but there is significantly less
    software for OpenSuSE then for Fedora. In that regard, Fedora is a flawed
    distro. In my opinion, switching from F9 and RH to something else is just a
    matter of time. F9 is an unmitigated disaster.

    > * CUPS service suddenly not running

    Had no such problems.

    > * Missing gtk library (had to re-install gtk2-devel)

    Had no such problems.

    > * Machines mysteriously hanging

    Had no such problems.

    > Is FC9 a flawed distro?

    I believe so. Unfortunately Linux, as an operating system, is not of the
    highest quality. It's much harder to administer, tune and diagnose then any
    of the commercial Unix flavors. Linux still cannot answer a question
    like "which process is doing the most of writing to /dev/sdc7?". One cannot
    limit the size of I/O cache and control paging parameters. So
    called "swappiness" is a disgusting concoction, when compared to HP-UX,
    Solaris or even BSD 4.4. SCSI drivers are just an emulation, which results
    in many more interrupts then is the case with Solaris, HP-UX or AIX.
    Interrupts are expensive costly in terms of performance.
    Linux as an OS is rather weak and its only advantage over other versions of
    Unix is its price. Fedora is a flawed distribution of a flawed OS.

    --
    http://mgogala.freehostia.com

  10. Re: Problems with Fedora Core 9 ???

    On 6 Oct, 01:27, Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > Anyone having trouble w/ Fedora Core 9?
    >
    > I've installed it on about 20 PC's and it's been nothing but trouble.
    > Strange stuff, like:
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/sshd a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly
    > missing
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/network a/d /etc/rc?.d
    > suddenly missing
    > * CUPS service suddenly not running
    > * Missing gtk library (had to re-install gtk2-devel)
    > * Machines mysteriously hanging
    >
    > Is FC9 a flawed distro?
    >
    > -Richard Vaughn

    I've had it running on my home PC since just after it was released
    (I'd just bought a new PC and it was the only mainstream distro with a
    recent enough kernel to talk happily to my mobo).

    For 3 weeks kmail hung every time it tried to download mail -
    meanwhile I was hunting around for patches and clues to what was
    happening - then it started working again without any intervention.
    Which seems remarkably odd.

    As you may already have surmised, I'm using KDE rather than Gnome.
    This was also the first mainstream release of KDE4 - and the GUI has a
    LOT of rough edges.

    Leaving aside your problems, and the odd behaviour of kmail (for which
    I have no explanation therefore can't really blame Fedora) I'd say
    that it feels more like a beta release than a full production release.

    C.

  11. Re: Problems with Fedora Core 9 ???

    On 6 Oct, 01:27, Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > Anyone having trouble w/ Fedora Core 9?
    >
    > I've installed it on about 20 PC's and it's been nothing but trouble.
    > Strange stuff, like:
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/sshd a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly
    > missing
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/network a/d /etc/rc?.d
    > suddenly missing
    > * CUPS service suddenly not running
    > * Missing gtk library (had to re-install gtk2-devel)
    > * Machines mysteriously hanging
    >
    > Is FC9 a flawed distro?
    >
    > -Richard Vaughn

    I've had it running on my home PC since just after it was released
    (I'd just bought a new PC and it was the only mainstream distro with a
    recent enough kernel to talk happily to my mobo).

    For 3 weeks kmail hung every time it tried to download mail -
    meanwhile I was hunting around for patches and clues to what was
    happening - then it started working again without any intervention.
    Which seems remarkably odd.

    As you may already have surmised, I'm using KDE rather than Gnome.
    This was also the first mainstream release of KDE4 - and the GUI has a
    LOT of rough edges.

    Leaving aside your problems, and the odd behaviour of kmail (for which
    I have no explanation therefore can't really blame Fedora) I'd say
    that it feels more like a beta release than a full production release.

    C.

  12. Re: Problems with Fedora Core 9 ???

    On 2008-10-06, Robert Heller wrote:
    > At Sun, 5 Oct 2008 17:27:09 -0700 (PDT) Richard Vaughn wrote:
    >

    >> Anyone having trouble w/ Fedora Core 9?
    >>
    >> I've installed it on about 20 PC's and it's been nothing but trouble.
    >> Strange stuff, like:
    >> * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/sshd a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly
    >> missing
    >> * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/network a/d /etc/rc?.d
    >> suddenly missing
    >> * CUPS service suddenly not running
    >> * Missing gtk library (had to re-install gtk2-devel)
    >> * Machines mysteriously hanging
    >>
    >> Is FC9 a flawed distro?

    > Fedora Core (any version) is an *experimental / beta test* system.
    > Yes, it is likely to have 'flaws'. It is NOT recomended for production
    > environments. If you want a reliable distro for a production
    > environment you either want RHEL ($$$) or one of the (free) GPL clones
    > of RHEL: CentOS or WBEL or Pink Tie.

    You can also use Ubuntu. "Machines mysteriously hanging" encompasses a
    wide range of issues, but everything else from the above list does not
    happen on ubuntu. I run appx. 40 computers with ubuntu and have not
    seen many simple things screwed up.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  13. Re: Problems with Fedora Core 9 ???

    On 2008-10-06, Robert Heller wrote:
    > At Sun, 5 Oct 2008 17:27:09 -0700 (PDT) Richard Vaughn wrote:
    >

    >> Anyone having trouble w/ Fedora Core 9?
    >>
    >> I've installed it on about 20 PC's and it's been nothing but trouble.
    >> Strange stuff, like:
    >> * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/sshd a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly
    >> missing
    >> * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/network a/d /etc/rc?.d
    >> suddenly missing
    >> * CUPS service suddenly not running
    >> * Missing gtk library (had to re-install gtk2-devel)
    >> * Machines mysteriously hanging
    >>
    >> Is FC9 a flawed distro?

    > Fedora Core (any version) is an *experimental / beta test* system.
    > Yes, it is likely to have 'flaws'. It is NOT recomended for production
    > environments. If you want a reliable distro for a production
    > environment you either want RHEL ($$$) or one of the (free) GPL clones
    > of RHEL: CentOS or WBEL or Pink Tie.

    You can also use Ubuntu. "Machines mysteriously hanging" encompasses a
    wide range of issues, but everything else from the above list does not
    happen on ubuntu. I run appx. 40 computers with ubuntu and have not
    seen many simple things screwed up.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

+ Reply to Thread