Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA) - Redhat

This is a discussion on Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA) - Redhat ; Hi, I am looking for a reliable SATA raid controller (preferably natively supported in RH5. I only need raid-1. I looked at LSI SAS3041X-R, but their support could not tell me if RH5 had native drivers for it and said ...

  1. Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    Hi,

    I am looking for a reliable SATA raid controller (preferably <$250) that is
    natively supported in RH5. I only need raid-1.

    I looked at LSI SAS3041X-R, but their support could not tell me if RH5 had
    native drivers for it and said they only support it with their drivers. The
    problem with this is that I need to be able to run up2date, including kernel
    updates, without having issues like LSI's driver not supporting the latest
    up2date kernel or build the kernel from source, etc.

    Is there anyone using LSIs SAS/SATA raid controllers in RH 5 servers that
    could tell me if there are native drivers for LSI, and if they work well?

    If not, any other recommendations on reliable raid controllers that are
    natively supported (I know Adaptec used to be, but have not checked them
    lately)?

    Thanks,
    JB

  2. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    Jim wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for a reliable SATA raid controller (preferably <$250) that is
    > natively supported in RH5. I only need raid-1.
    >
    > I looked at LSI SAS3041X-R, but their support could not tell me if RH5 had
    > native drivers for it and said they only support it with their drivers. The
    > problem with this is that I need to be able to run up2date, including kernel
    > updates, without having issues like LSI's driver not supporting the latest
    > up2date kernel or build the kernel from source, etc.
    >
    > Is there anyone using LSIs SAS/SATA raid controllers in RH 5 servers that
    > could tell me if there are native drivers for LSI, and if they work well?
    >
    > If not, any other recommendations on reliable raid controllers that are
    > natively supported (I know Adaptec used to be, but have not checked them
    > lately)?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > JB

    Hey,

    I have a 3ware card:

    04:00.0 RAID bus controller: 3ware Inc 9650SE SATA-II RAID (rev 01)

    Worked out of the box first time, no issues. I am on Fedora 9 though -
    but you can check the 3ware website for which kernel, which driver is in
    (mine is an 8 port card - there are 4 port and up). Not sure if it will
    meet your price target though - I paid CDN $500 for "the kit" (cables
    etc..) on the 8 port.

    I really like the card - easy to use, and has been very stable.

    JR.

    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

  3. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    Jim wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for a reliable SATA raid controller (preferably <$250) that is
    > natively supported in RH5. I only need raid-1.
    >
    > I looked at LSI SAS3041X-R, but their support could not tell me if RH5 had
    > native drivers for it and said they only support it with their drivers. The
    > problem with this is that I need to be able to run up2date, including kernel
    > updates, without having issues like LSI's driver not supporting the latest
    > up2date kernel or build the kernel from source, etc.
    >
    > Is there anyone using LSIs SAS/SATA raid controllers in RH 5 servers that
    > could tell me if there are native drivers for LSI, and if they work well?
    >
    > If not, any other recommendations on reliable raid controllers that are
    > natively supported (I know Adaptec used to be, but have not checked them
    > lately)?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > JB

    Hey,

    I have a 3ware card:

    04:00.0 RAID bus controller: 3ware Inc 9650SE SATA-II RAID (rev 01)

    Worked out of the box first time, no issues. I am on Fedora 9 though -
    but you can check the 3ware website for which kernel, which driver is in
    (mine is an 8 port card - there are 4 port and up). Not sure if it will
    meet your price target though - I paid CDN $500 for "the kit" (cables
    etc..) on the 8 port.

    I really like the card - easy to use, and has been very stable.

    JR.

    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

  4. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    Jim wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for a reliable SATA raid controller (preferably <$250) that is
    > natively supported in RH5. I only need raid-1.
    >
    > I looked at LSI SAS3041X-R, but their support could not tell me if RH5 had
    > native drivers for it and said they only support it with their drivers. The
    > problem with this is that I need to be able to run up2date, including kernel
    > updates, without having issues like LSI's driver not supporting the latest
    > up2date kernel or build the kernel from source, etc.
    >
    > Is there anyone using LSIs SAS/SATA raid controllers in RH 5 servers that
    > could tell me if there are native drivers for LSI, and if they work well?
    >
    > If not, any other recommendations on reliable raid controllers that are
    > natively supported (I know Adaptec used to be, but have not checked them
    > lately)?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > JB

    Hey,

    I have a 3ware card:

    04:00.0 RAID bus controller: 3ware Inc 9650SE SATA-II RAID (rev 01)

    Worked out of the box first time, no issues. I am on Fedora 9 though -
    but you can check the 3ware website for which kernel, which driver is in
    (mine is an 8 port card - there are 4 port and up). Not sure if it will
    meet your price target though - I paid CDN $500 for "the kit" (cables
    etc..) on the 8 port.

    I really like the card - easy to use, and has been very stable.

    JR.

    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

  5. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    >> Is there anyone using LSIs SAS/SATA raid controllers in RH 5 servers that
    >> could tell me if there are native drivers for LSI, and if they work well?
    >>
    >> If not, any other recommendations on reliable raid controllers that are
    >> natively supported (I know Adaptec used to be, but have not checked them
    >> lately)?
    >>

    > 04:00.0 RAID bus controller: 3ware Inc 9650SE SATA-II RAID (rev 01)
    >
    > Worked out of the box first time, no issues. I am on Fedora 9 though -
    > but you can check the 3ware website for which kernel, which driver is in
    > (mine is an 8 port card - there are 4 port and up). Not sure if it will
    > meet your price target though - I paid CDN $500 for "the kit" (cables
    > etc..) on the 8 port.
    >
    > I really like the card - easy to use, and has been very stable.

    Thanks - I'll check out 3Ware. Hopefully they have a cheaper model.

    More feedback / recommendations still welcome!

    Thanks,
    JB

  6. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    >> Is there anyone using LSIs SAS/SATA raid controllers in RH 5 servers that
    >> could tell me if there are native drivers for LSI, and if they work well?
    >>
    >> If not, any other recommendations on reliable raid controllers that are
    >> natively supported (I know Adaptec used to be, but have not checked them
    >> lately)?
    >>

    > 04:00.0 RAID bus controller: 3ware Inc 9650SE SATA-II RAID (rev 01)
    >
    > Worked out of the box first time, no issues. I am on Fedora 9 though -
    > but you can check the 3ware website for which kernel, which driver is in
    > (mine is an 8 port card - there are 4 port and up). Not sure if it will
    > meet your price target though - I paid CDN $500 for "the kit" (cables
    > etc..) on the 8 port.
    >
    > I really like the card - easy to use, and has been very stable.

    Thanks - I'll check out 3Ware. Hopefully they have a cheaper model.

    More feedback / recommendations still welcome!

    Thanks,
    JB

  7. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    >> Is there anyone using LSIs SAS/SATA raid controllers in RH 5 servers that
    >> could tell me if there are native drivers for LSI, and if they work well?
    >>
    >> If not, any other recommendations on reliable raid controllers that are
    >> natively supported (I know Adaptec used to be, but have not checked them
    >> lately)?
    >>

    > 04:00.0 RAID bus controller: 3ware Inc 9650SE SATA-II RAID (rev 01)
    >
    > Worked out of the box first time, no issues. I am on Fedora 9 though -
    > but you can check the 3ware website for which kernel, which driver is in
    > (mine is an 8 port card - there are 4 port and up). Not sure if it will
    > meet your price target though - I paid CDN $500 for "the kit" (cables
    > etc..) on the 8 port.
    >
    > I really like the card - easy to use, and has been very stable.

    Thanks - I'll check out 3Ware. Hopefully they have a cheaper model.

    More feedback / recommendations still welcome!

    Thanks,
    JB

  8. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    Ok, I did some research and found what appears to be a good, inexpensive
    SAS/SATA raid controller which is natively supported in RH 5.x (actually all
    linux kernels 2.4 and above): Adaptec 2405 (and probably most of their
    higher-end cards as well). Just in case someone else has the same
    question...

    JB

    "Jim" wrote in message
    >>> Is there anyone using LSIs SAS/SATA raid controllers in RH 5 servers
    >>> that
    >>> could tell me if there are native drivers for LSI, and if they work
    >>> well?
    >>>
    >>> If not, any other recommendations on reliable raid controllers that are
    >>> natively supported (I know Adaptec used to be, but have not checked them
    >>> lately)?
    >>>

    >> 04:00.0 RAID bus controller: 3ware Inc 9650SE SATA-II RAID (rev 01)
    >>
    >> Worked out of the box first time, no issues. I am on Fedora 9 though -
    >> but you can check the 3ware website for which kernel, which driver is in
    >> (mine is an 8 port card - there are 4 port and up). Not sure if it will
    >> meet your price target though - I paid CDN $500 for "the kit" (cables
    >> etc..) on the 8 port.
    >>
    >> I really like the card - easy to use, and has been very stable.

    > Thanks - I'll check out 3Ware. Hopefully they have a cheaper model.
    >
    > More feedback / recommendations still welcome!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > JB

  9. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    "Jim" wrote in message
    >>> Is there anyone using LSIs SAS/SATA raid controllers in RH 5 servers
    >>> that
    >>> could tell me if there are native drivers for LSI, and if they work
    >>> well?
    >>>
    >>> If not, any other recommendations on reliable raid controllers that are
    >>> natively supported (I know Adaptec used to be, but have not checked them
    >>> lately)?
    >>>

    >> 04:00.0 RAID bus controller: 3ware Inc 9650SE SATA-II RAID (rev 01)
    >>
    >> Worked out of the box first time, no issues. I am on Fedora 9 though -
    >> but you can check the 3ware website for which kernel, which driver is in
    >> (mine is an 8 port card - there are 4 port and up). Not sure if it will
    >> meet your price target though - I paid CDN $500 for "the kit" (cables
    >> etc..) on the 8 port.
    >>
    >> I really like the card - easy to use, and has been very stable.

    > Thanks - I'll check out 3Ware. Hopefully they have a cheaper model.
    >
    > More feedback / recommendations still welcome!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > JB

  10. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    "Jim" wrote in message
    >>> Is there anyone using LSIs SAS/SATA raid controllers in RH 5 servers
    >>> that
    >>> could tell me if there are native drivers for LSI, and if they work
    >>> well?
    >>>
    >>> If not, any other recommendations on reliable raid controllers that are
    >>> natively supported (I know Adaptec used to be, but have not checked them
    >>> lately)?
    >>>

    >> 04:00.0 RAID bus controller: 3ware Inc 9650SE SATA-II RAID (rev 01)
    >>
    >> Worked out of the box first time, no issues. I am on Fedora 9 though -
    >> but you can check the 3ware website for which kernel, which driver is in
    >> (mine is an 8 port card - there are 4 port and up). Not sure if it will
    >> meet your price target though - I paid CDN $500 for "the kit" (cables
    >> etc..) on the 8 port.
    >>
    >> I really like the card - easy to use, and has been very stable.

    > Thanks - I'll check out 3Ware. Hopefully they have a cheaper model.
    >
    > More feedback / recommendations still welcome!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > JB

  11. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    Jim wrote:
    > Ok, I did some research and found what appears to be a good, inexpensive
    > SAS/SATA raid controller which is natively supported in RH 5.x (actually all
    > linux kernels 2.4 and above): Adaptec 2405 (and probably most of their
    > higher-end cards as well). Just in case someone else has the same
    > question...
    >
    > JB
    >
    > "Jim" wrote in message

    >>> 04:00.0 RAID bus controller: 3ware Inc 9650SE SATA-II RAID (rev 01)
    >>>
    >>> Worked out of the box first time, no issues. I am on Fedora 9 though -
    >>> but you can check the 3ware website for which kernel, which driver is in
    >>> (mine is an 8 port card - there are 4 port and up). Not sure if it will
    >>> meet your price target though - I paid CDN $500 for "the kit" (cables
    >>> etc..) on the 8 port.
    >>>
    >>> I really like the card - easy to use, and has been very stable.

    >> Thanks - I'll check out 3Ware. Hopefully they have a cheaper model.
    >>
    >> More feedback / recommendations still welcome!
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> JB

    My guy recommended against them - stating the Adaptecs were unreliable.
    I of course can not confirm this first hand - but trust my 'guy' - they
    do lot's of Linux stuff and certainly know their hardware... Research
    will tell you what you need to know! I went to the 3ware based on their
    recommendations, and am happy with it - this is all I can add to this!

    JR.

    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

  12. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    Jim wrote:
    > Ok, I did some research and found what appears to be a good, inexpensive
    > SAS/SATA raid controller which is natively supported in RH 5.x (actually all
    > linux kernels 2.4 and above): Adaptec 2405 (and probably most of their
    > higher-end cards as well). Just in case someone else has the same
    > question...
    >
    > JB
    >
    > "Jim" wrote in message

    >>> 04:00.0 RAID bus controller: 3ware Inc 9650SE SATA-II RAID (rev 01)
    >>>
    >>> Worked out of the box first time, no issues. I am on Fedora 9 though -
    >>> but you can check the 3ware website for which kernel, which driver is in
    >>> (mine is an 8 port card - there are 4 port and up). Not sure if it will
    >>> meet your price target though - I paid CDN $500 for "the kit" (cables
    >>> etc..) on the 8 port.
    >>>
    >>> I really like the card - easy to use, and has been very stable.

    >> Thanks - I'll check out 3Ware. Hopefully they have a cheaper model.
    >>
    >> More feedback / recommendations still welcome!
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> JB

    My guy recommended against them - stating the Adaptecs were unreliable.
    I of course can not confirm this first hand - but trust my 'guy' - they
    do lot's of Linux stuff and certainly know their hardware... Research
    will tell you what you need to know! I went to the 3ware based on their
    recommendations, and am happy with it - this is all I can add to this!

    JR.

    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

  13. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    Jim wrote:
    > Ok, I did some research and found what appears to be a good, inexpensive
    > SAS/SATA raid controller which is natively supported in RH 5.x (actually all
    > linux kernels 2.4 and above): Adaptec 2405 (and probably most of their
    > higher-end cards as well). Just in case someone else has the same
    > question...
    >
    > JB
    >
    > "Jim" wrote in message

    >>> 04:00.0 RAID bus controller: 3ware Inc 9650SE SATA-II RAID (rev 01)
    >>>
    >>> Worked out of the box first time, no issues. I am on Fedora 9 though -
    >>> but you can check the 3ware website for which kernel, which driver is in
    >>> (mine is an 8 port card - there are 4 port and up). Not sure if it will
    >>> meet your price target though - I paid CDN $500 for "the kit" (cables
    >>> etc..) on the 8 port.
    >>>
    >>> I really like the card - easy to use, and has been very stable.

    >> Thanks - I'll check out 3Ware. Hopefully they have a cheaper model.
    >>
    >> More feedback / recommendations still welcome!
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> JB

    My guy recommended against them - stating the Adaptecs were unreliable.
    I of course can not confirm this first hand - but trust my 'guy' - they
    do lot's of Linux stuff and certainly know their hardware... Research
    will tell you what you need to know! I went to the 3ware based on their
    recommendations, and am happy with it - this is all I can add to this!

    JR.

    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

  14. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    Johnny Rebel wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >> Ok, I did some research and found what appears to be a good, inexpensive
    >> SAS/SATA raid controller which is natively supported in RH 5.x (actually all
    >> linux kernels 2.4 and above): Adaptec 2405 (and probably most of their
    >> higher-end cards as well). Just in case someone else has the same
    >> question...
    >>
    >> JB
    >>
    >> "Jim" wrote in message

    >>> Thanks - I'll check out 3Ware. Hopefully they have a cheaper model.
    >>>
    >>> More feedback / recommendations still welcome!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> JB
    >>>

    > My guy recommended against them - stating the Adaptecs were unreliable.
    > I of course can not confirm this first hand - but trust my 'guy' - they
    > do lot's of Linux stuff and certainly know their hardware... Research
    > will tell you what you need to know! I went to the 3ware based on their
    > recommendations, and am happy with it - this is all I can add to this!

    I've had very good success with Adaptecs, and high end installed render
    clusters with various Adaptec RAID controllers. The drivers are always there,
    they listen to support calls (unlike Promise), and they're a good
    price/performance balance.

  15. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    Johnny Rebel wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >> Ok, I did some research and found what appears to be a good, inexpensive
    >> SAS/SATA raid controller which is natively supported in RH 5.x (actually all
    >> linux kernels 2.4 and above): Adaptec 2405 (and probably most of their
    >> higher-end cards as well). Just in case someone else has the same
    >> question...
    >>
    >> JB
    >>
    >> "Jim" wrote in message

    >>> Thanks - I'll check out 3Ware. Hopefully they have a cheaper model.
    >>>
    >>> More feedback / recommendations still welcome!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> JB
    >>>

    > My guy recommended against them - stating the Adaptecs were unreliable.
    > I of course can not confirm this first hand - but trust my 'guy' - they
    > do lot's of Linux stuff and certainly know their hardware... Research
    > will tell you what you need to know! I went to the 3ware based on their
    > recommendations, and am happy with it - this is all I can add to this!

    I've had very good success with Adaptecs, and high end installed render
    clusters with various Adaptec RAID controllers. The drivers are always there,
    they listen to support calls (unlike Promise), and they're a good
    price/performance balance.

  16. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    Johnny Rebel wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >> Ok, I did some research and found what appears to be a good, inexpensive
    >> SAS/SATA raid controller which is natively supported in RH 5.x (actually all
    >> linux kernels 2.4 and above): Adaptec 2405 (and probably most of their
    >> higher-end cards as well). Just in case someone else has the same
    >> question...
    >>
    >> JB
    >>
    >> "Jim" wrote in message

    >>> Thanks - I'll check out 3Ware. Hopefully they have a cheaper model.
    >>>
    >>> More feedback / recommendations still welcome!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> JB
    >>>

    > My guy recommended against them - stating the Adaptecs were unreliable.
    > I of course can not confirm this first hand - but trust my 'guy' - they
    > do lot's of Linux stuff and certainly know their hardware... Research
    > will tell you what you need to know! I went to the 3ware based on their
    > recommendations, and am happy with it - this is all I can add to this!

    I've had very good success with Adaptecs, and high end installed render
    clusters with various Adaptec RAID controllers. The drivers are always there,
    they listen to support calls (unlike Promise), and they're a good
    price/performance balance.

  17. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Johnny Rebel wrote:
    >> Jim wrote:
    >>> Ok, I did some research and found what appears to be a good,
    >>> inexpensive SAS/SATA raid controller which is natively supported in
    >>> RH 5.x (actually all linux kernels 2.4 and above): Adaptec 2405 (and
    >>> probably most of their higher-end cards as well). Just in case
    >>> someone else has the same question...
    >>>
    >>> JB
    >>>
    >>> "Jim" wrote in message

    >> My guy recommended against them - stating the Adaptecs were unreliable.
    >> I of course can not confirm this first hand - but trust my 'guy' - they
    >> do lot's of Linux stuff and certainly know their hardware... Research
    >> will tell you what you need to know! I went to the 3ware based on their
    >> recommendations, and am happy with it - this is all I can add to this!

    > I've had very good success with Adaptecs, and high end installed render
    > clusters with various Adaptec RAID controllers. The drivers are always
    > there, they listen to support calls (unlike Promise), and they're a good
    > price/performance balance.

    Good to hear! I do know their older scsi cards were one of the tops - I
    still use them. I have not heard much on the SATA RAID cards from them,
    except what I was told.... I have not had great experiences with the
    Promise cards... Only tried one (and its two successor replacements)
    and won't buy them again.

    JR.
    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

  18. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Johnny Rebel wrote:
    >> Jim wrote:
    >>> Ok, I did some research and found what appears to be a good,
    >>> inexpensive SAS/SATA raid controller which is natively supported in
    >>> RH 5.x (actually all linux kernels 2.4 and above): Adaptec 2405 (and
    >>> probably most of their higher-end cards as well). Just in case
    >>> someone else has the same question...
    >>>
    >>> JB
    >>>
    >>> "Jim" wrote in message

    >> My guy recommended against them - stating the Adaptecs were unreliable.
    >> I of course can not confirm this first hand - but trust my 'guy' - they
    >> do lot's of Linux stuff and certainly know their hardware... Research
    >> will tell you what you need to know! I went to the 3ware based on their
    >> recommendations, and am happy with it - this is all I can add to this!

    > I've had very good success with Adaptecs, and high end installed render
    > clusters with various Adaptec RAID controllers. The drivers are always
    > there, they listen to support calls (unlike Promise), and they're a good
    > price/performance balance.

    Good to hear! I do know their older scsi cards were one of the tops - I
    still use them. I have not heard much on the SATA RAID cards from them,
    except what I was told.... I have not had great experiences with the
    Promise cards... Only tried one (and its two successor replacements)
    and won't buy them again.

    JR.
    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

  19. Re: Advice on well supported Raid controller (SATA)

+ Reply to Thread