Fedora Core 2 for Pentium 4 (64-bit) - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora Core 2 for Pentium 4 (64-bit) - Redhat ; Hi, Is it possible to install Fedora Core 2 on x86_64 (Pentium4 - 64- bit) ? Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru...

  1. Fedora Core 2 for Pentium 4 (64-bit)

    Hi,

    Is it possible to install Fedora Core 2 on x86_64 (Pentium4 - 64-
    bit) ?

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

  2. Re: Fedora Core 2 for Pentium 4 (64-bit)

    On Sep 24, 1:30*am, karthikbalaguru
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it possible to install Fedora Core 2 on x86_64 (Pentium4 - 64-
    > bit) ?

    I got the below info from the link http://www.fedorafaq.org/
    Q: Can Fedora run on a 64-bit (AMD-64 or Intel-64) computer?
    A: Yes, it can! A 64-bit version of Fedora is currently available to
    download. It works very well.
    note - You can also run the normal 32-bit version of Fedora on
    your 64-bit computer, although that's rarely required nowadays.

    Pls find the ibelow info w.r.t FC2 in the link http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc2/
    Q: Does Fedora run on the AMD64 (Opteron) platform?
    A: Yes, it does! An AMD64 version of Fedora Core 2 is currently
    available.

    But, i do not find any info w.r.t Intel-64 (Pentium4 - 64-bit)
    Can Fedora Core 2 run on Intel-64 (Pentium 4) ?
    Any ideas ? Has anyone tried the above combinartion
    or any links confirming the status of Fedora Core 2 on
    Intel-64(Pentium 4).

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

  3. Re: Fedora Core 2 for Pentium 4 (64-bit)

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:30:18 -0700, karthikbalaguru wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it possible to install Fedora Core 2 on x86_64 (Pentium4 - 64- bit) ?
    >
    > Thx in advans,
    > Karthik Balaguru

    You don't want to use Fedora Core 2 for anything, it's been unsupported
    for several years. The current version of Fedora is Fedora 9, that's what
    you should use.

    The last P4s did support 64 bits so they can run 64 bit Fedora, however
    they were really 32 bit processors with the 64 bit instructions added as
    an afterthought. If you have less than 4G of RAM I'd stick to 32 bit
    Fedora 9 on that machine. The Core2 is a different story, it was designed
    as a 64 bit processor so there is no performance penalty for running it in
    64 bit mode, if you have a Core2 you might want to use 64 bit Fedora even
    if you less than 4G although the case for using 64 bit Linux on a machine
    with less than 4G is marginal.

  4. Re: Fedora Core 2 for Pentium 4 (64-bit)

    karthikbalaguru wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it possible to install Fedora Core 2 on x86_64 (Pentium4 - 64-
    > bit) ?
    >
    > Thx in advans,
    > Karthik Balaguru

    Only if you can find it. The Fedoralegacy project is dead, it's not getting
    updates, and few repositories carry it anymore.

    Why not jump to Fedora 9, or at least Fedora 7, which is still supported?

  5. Re: Fedora Core 2 for Pentium 4 (64-bit)

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it possible to install Fedora Core 2 on x86_64 (Pentium4 - 64-
    > bit) ?
    >
    > Thx in advans,
    > Karthik Balaguru

    Hi

    Yes it is possible to Install Fedora Core 2 on 86_64 (Pentium4 - 64 -
    bit )

+ Reply to Thread