kickstart for bare metal restore - Redhat

This is a discussion on kickstart for bare metal restore - Redhat ; Is it possible to use kickstart to do bare metal restores of system images of red hat servers that are stored on one server? I was able to do this in Solaris with jumpstart and flar archive. I just wondered ...

  1. kickstart for bare metal restore

    Is it possible to use kickstart to do bare metal restores of system
    images of red hat servers that are stored on one server? I was able
    to do this in Solaris with jumpstart and flar archive. I just
    wondered if anyone had modified kickstart somehow to restore redhat
    dump images via the network. Just looking for a decent way to do bmr
    for red hat linux servers.

  2. Re: kickstart for bare metal restore

    rstorch1@netzero.net wrote:
    > Is it possible to use kickstart to do bare metal restores of system
    > images of red hat servers that are stored on one server? I was able
    > to do this in Solaris with jumpstart and flar archive. I just
    > wondered if anyone had modified kickstart somehow to restore redhat
    > dump images via the network. Just looking for a decent way to do bmr
    > for red hat linux servers.

    *DUMP*, no. Dump is a bad idea on a modern Linux system, especially done live,
    since so much of what will wind up on disk can be kept paged out in RAM or
    swap and may not be on disk yet.

    tar is usually used, and yes, you can build a tarball, use the kickstart 'pre'
    scripts to partition a drive, use the 'pre' scripts to lay the tarball on top,
    use 'pre' scripts set a new /etc/mtab, /etc/fstab, and run a 'grub-install'
    to set up the bootloader, use a 'pre' script to set the network configuration,
    etc. I've done 13,000 in one month that way, and managed Beowulf clusters this
    way with PXE for auto-installation. It's pretty easy.

+ Reply to Thread