best way to upgrade - Redhat

This is a discussion on best way to upgrade - Redhat ; I have a Red Hat 8 system that is used for a host of thinks, PDC for Windows NT boxes, proxy server via Squid; what I would like to know, what is the best way to upgrade this to say ...

  1. best way to upgrade

    I have a Red Hat 8 system that is used for a host of thinks, PDC for Windows
    NT boxes, proxy server via Squid; what I would like to know, what is the
    best way to upgrade this to say Fedora 9?
    Thanks
    doverbey@optonline.net

  2. Re: best way to upgrade

    On 09/10/2008 02:42 PM, Overbey sent:
    > I have a Red Hat 8 system that is used for a host of thinks, PDC for Windows
    > NT boxes, proxy server via Squid; what I would like to know, what is the
    > best way to upgrade this to say Fedora 9?
    > Thanks
    > doverbey@optonline.net

    Hello:

    If indeed you are referring to RH 8 Psyche, from 2002, congratulations
    for making it this long! However, if you're referring to Fedora 8 (F8)
    Werewolf, that's different. If the hardware goes back to 2002, upgrading
    with the old system ill advised.

    Obtaining a separate adequate system that is up to the task, and load it
    with your new OS is going to present the least amount of heartaches for
    you.

    However, have you given much thought to running CentOS 5.2? That might
    be the best direction for stability and support.

    Best wishes to you.

    --
    1PW

    @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

  3. Re: best way to upgrade

    Yes, I have thought about CentOS - was trying to save some configurations
    with the upgrade.
    Thanks for the suggestion
    doverbey@optonline.net

    "1PW" wrote in message
    news:v_WdnViWRvRGPVXVnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > On 09/10/2008 02:42 PM, Overbey sent:
    >> I have a Red Hat 8 system that is used for a host of thinks, PDC for
    >> Windows
    >> NT boxes, proxy server via Squid; what I would like to know, what is the
    >> best way to upgrade this to say Fedora 9?
    >> Thanks
    >> doverbey@optonline.net
    >>

    > Hello:
    >
    > If indeed you are referring to RH 8 Psyche, from 2002, congratulations
    > for making it this long! However, if you're referring to Fedora 8 (F8)
    > Werewolf, that's different. If the hardware goes back to 2002, upgrading
    > with the old system ill advised.
    >
    > Obtaining a separate adequate system that is up to the task, and load it
    > with your new OS is going to present the least amount of heartaches for
    > you.
    >
    > However, have you given much thought to running CentOS 5.2? That might
    > be the best direction for stability and support.
    >
    > Best wishes to you.
    >
    > --
    > 1PW
    >
    > @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]