RH 9 not starting, what can I do? - Redhat

This is a discussion on RH 9 not starting, what can I do? - Redhat ; I have RH9 loaded on a box with two disks, what I think is happening is it can't read one disk while it is booting and I get an endless cycle of error messages while its trying to boot. I ...

  1. RH 9 not starting, what can I do?

    I have RH9 loaded on a box with two disks, what I think is happening is
    it can't read one disk while it is booting and I get an endless cycle of
    error messages while its trying to boot. I can get to the grub menu ok,
    but immediatly after I get a slew of errors such as "EXT3-fs error
    (device ide0(3,2)): ext3_get_inode_loc:unable to read inode block" and
    then another slew of "INIT: Id "1" respawning to fast: disabled for 5
    minutes"

    Is there a way to fix this, the command line from grub is limited, and
    I'm not sure what to do from there in any case. Not sure if I can find
    the install cd, but can I somehow start this system without it so I can
    see what the problem is?

    thanks in advance..

  2. Re: RH 9 not starting, what can I do?

    GS wrote:
    > I have RH9 loaded on a box with two disks, what I think is happening is
    > it can't read one disk while it is booting and I get an endless cycle of
    > error messages while its trying to boot. I can get to the grub menu ok,
    > but immediatly after I get a slew of errors such as "EXT3-fs error
    > (device ide0(3,2)): ext3_get_inode_loc:unable to read inode block" and
    > then another slew of "INIT: Id "1" respawning to fast: disabled for 5
    > minutes"
    >
    > Is there a way to fix this, the command line from grub is limited, and
    > I'm not sure what to do from there in any case. Not sure if I can find
    > the install cd, but can I somehow start this system without it so I can
    > see what the problem is?

    RH9 or F9? RH9 is old, but you may still be able to find the CD images
    somewhere online, although you can use a Knoppix CD and probably any
    later Fedora media to boot to CD for limited maintenance.

    A place to start is just boot to a CD without mounting the HD file
    systems and run fsck on all the file systems. If something on them is
    just too trashed, you may not be able to boot to them, but do the fsck
    and see what you find out.

  3. Re: RH 9 not starting, what can I do?

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 12:55:09 -0500, Allen Kistler typed this message:

    > GS wrote:
    >> I have RH9 loaded on a box with two disks, what I think is happening is
    >> it can't read one disk while it is booting and I get an endless cycle
    >> of error messages while its trying to boot. I can get to the grub menu
    >> ok, but immediatly after I get a slew of errors such as "EXT3-fs error
    >> (device ide0(3,2)): ext3_get_inode_loc:unable to read inode block" and
    >> then another slew of "INIT: Id "1" respawning to fast: disabled for 5
    >> minutes"
    >>
    >> Is there a way to fix this, the command line from grub is limited, and
    >> I'm not sure what to do from there in any case. Not sure if I can find
    >> the install cd, but can I somehow start this system without it so I can
    >> see what the problem is?

    > RH9 or F9? RH9 is old, but you may still be able to find the CD images
    > somewhere online, although you can use a Knoppix CD and probably any
    > later Fedora media to boot to CD for limited maintenance.
    >
    > A place to start is just boot to a CD without mounting the HD file
    > systems and run fsck on all the file systems. If something on them is
    > just too trashed, you may not be able to boot to them, but do the fsck
    > and see what you find out.

    Yes I agree the best place to start is to use the 1st RH9 install CD and
    boot rescue mode. Once booted the / partition is mounted at use fsck on
    the disk partitions.

    OTOH, I think you should check your psu. I've had that error before but
    I can't remember the exact fix. However, fsck on the partitions is
    mandatory.

  4. Re: RH 9 not starting, what can I do?

    On 09/09/2008 10:37 AM, GS sent:
    > I have RH9 loaded on a box with two disks, what I think is happening is
    > it can't read one disk while it is booting and I get an endless cycle of
    > error messages while its trying to boot. I can get to the grub menu ok,
    > but immediatly after I get a slew of errors such as "EXT3-fs error
    > (device ide0(3,2)): ext3_get_inode_loc:unable to read inode block" and
    > then another slew of "INIT: Id "1" respawning to fast: disabled for 5
    > minutes"
    >
    > Is there a way to fix this, the command line from grub is limited, and
    > I'm not sure what to do from there in any case. Not sure if I can find
    > the install cd, but can I somehow start this system without it so I can
    > see what the problem is?
    >

    > thanks in advance..

    Hello GS:

    The good advice of others not withstanding, Shrike's (RH9) three ISO
    images *are* still available:

    I would also council trying to salvage something positive out of your
    misfortune by suggesting a quantum leap to Fedora 9. Perhaps a place
    could be reserved on an IDE bus for your RH9 hard disk drives. Either
    dd_rescue or ddrescue might be able to retrieve things you wish to save.

    The very best luck to you.

    --
    1PW

    @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]