Fedora 9 frustrations - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora 9 frustrations - Redhat ; Now that 700 meg of updates are available, I decided to try Fedora 9 again. The last time was a complete disaster. This time it's maybe a bit better, but there are still many frustrations. Has anyone figured out how ...

  1. Fedora 9 frustrations

    Now that 700 meg of updates are available, I decided to try Fedora 9 again.
    The last time was a complete disaster. This time it's maybe a bit better,
    but there are still many frustrations. Has anyone figured out how to deal
    with these issues?

    1) I cannot set it to no wallpaper. WTF?!?!?! I don't want a wallpaper!
    It just clutters up the screen.

    2) When I try to run the utility for Add/Remove Software, it gives me a
    message "Package Installer is running as a privileged user." All I can do
    is hit Close, which makes it go away. This message also appears every time
    I login as root.

    3) I don't have a Bluetooth interface on this computer. Why, when I try to
    remove Bluetooth, does it also want to remove kdepim? I do not understand
    the relation between the two.

    4) I do not have a modem and do not need ppp. When I try to remove it, it
    wants to remove network manager and kdepim, among many others. What is the
    relationship here? I don't get it.

    5) What's with the widget thing in the upper right corner? It's annoying.
    How do I make it go away?

    6) I cannot find a way to make the clock on the panel display seconds or
    display in a smaller font. Different typefaces I found, but not smaller
    size.

    7) I don't want Evolution anywhere near this machine. I don't use it and
    don't want it. So when I tried to remove evolution-data-server, yum wants
    to remove 19 other packages for dependencies some of which are critical to
    the system. WTF? I don't understand the relationship and I don't want a
    running service that I will never use.

    8) I do not have and will never own an ATI video card. I tried to remove
    radeontool, but it wanted to remove 127 other packages too! WTF??? Why
    does basically all of X depend on radeontool?

    9) Samba, fer cryin out loud! I tried to remove it and it tried to take all
    of KDE too! WFT?!?!?! I do not and never will own a Windows server. I
    have zero use for Samba. Why am I forced to take it?

    10) I tried to switch to a KDE Classic theme. The settings Manager
    application stopped working. It won't close, it won't resize, and it won't

    11) The switchdesktop utility is gone. How do I configure it so it always
    logs in to a KDE session?

    I'll probably find more, but this will do for starters.

    --
    Bill Gee

    There are no 'X' chars in my email address.

  2. Re: Fedora 9 frustrations

    Bill Gee wrote:
    > Now that 700 meg of updates are available, I decided to try Fedora 9 again.
    > The last time was a complete disaster. This time it's maybe a bit better,
    > but there are still many frustrations. Has anyone figured out how to deal
    > with these issues?
    >
    > 1) I cannot set it to no wallpaper. WTF?!?!?! I don't want a wallpaper!
    > It just clutters up the screen.
    >
    > 2) When I try to run the utility for Add/Remove Software, it gives me a
    > message "Package Installer is running as a privileged user." All I can do
    > is hit Close, which makes it go away. This message also appears every time
    > I login as root.
    >
    > 3) I don't have a Bluetooth interface on this computer. Why, when I try to
    > remove Bluetooth, does it also want to remove kdepim? I do not understand
    > the relation between the two.

    Welcome to dependency hell. The kdepim may have libraries that are from
    various bluetooth interfaces. Factoring out binary and library dependencies
    from an installable package is a painful, and thankless job, and you've just
    run headlong into it.

    Most of the rest of your note is this sort of problem. Stop trying to
    overstrip your system, I suggest: many components require libraries at compile
    time to have all features, and propagate those dependencies to the binaries.
    That's probably the big source of your dependency hell issues.

+ Reply to Thread