Why /etc is different among distros? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Why /etc is different among distros? - Redhat ; I undertand why solaris has different files in /etc compared to Linux but why /etc is different among linux distros?...

  1. Why /etc is different among distros?

    I undertand why solaris has different files in /etc compared to Linux
    but why /etc is different among linux distros?

  2. Re: Why /etc is different among distros?

    Artificer schreef:
    > I undertand why solaris has different files in /etc compared to Linux
    > but why /etc is different among linux distros?

    Do you understand why /etc is differn for Solaris?
    explain to me, please.

    This might answer your question.

    To me it is just asking an explaination for the tower of Babel.

  3. Re: Why /etc is different among distros?

    On Sep 3, 12:46*am, Jan Gerrit Kootstra
    wrote:
    > Artificer schreef:> I undertand why solaris has different files in /etc compared to Linux
    > > but why /etc is different among linux distros?

    > Do you understand why /etc is differn for Solaris?
    > explain to me, please.
    >
    > This might answer your question.
    >
    > To me it is just asking an explaination for the tower of Babel.

    What I mean is that is obvious that if you want to use solaris you
    should study solaris, if you want to use freeBSD you study freeBSD,
    but if you want to use Linux you should be able to study Linux however
    each distro is sometimes like a whole diferent UNIX flavor. I was
    expecting each distro to be diferent to each other just in terms of
    the packages instaled and how they were configured. But it was weird
    to me to find out that also system configuration files were different.

  4. Re: Why /etc is different among distros?

    Artificer schreef:
    > On Sep 3, 12:46 am, Jan Gerrit Kootstra
    > wrote:
    >> Artificer schreef:> I undertand why solaris has different files in /etc compared to Linux
    >>> but why /etc is different among linux distros?

    >> Do you understand why /etc is differn for Solaris?
    >> explain to me, please.
    >>
    >> This might answer your question.
    >>
    >> To me it is just asking an explaination for the tower of Babel.

    > What I mean is that is obvious that if you want to use solaris you
    > should study solaris, if you want to use freeBSD you study freeBSD,
    > but if you want to use Linux you should be able to study Linux however
    > each distro is sometimes like a whole diferent UNIX flavor. I was
    > expecting each distro to be diferent to each other just in terms of
    > the packages instaled and how they were configured. But it was weird
    > to me to find out that also system configuration files were different.

    Artificer,

    In fact GNU/Linux distribution differ in the same way as Unix flavors
    differ (AIX versus Solaris versus HP-UX), this the freedom given by ANSI
    in the POSIX definitions.

    Yes, I agree that it makes it hard to study GNU/Linux. That is why LPI
    courses differ from Red Hat and Novell/SuSe courses.

    LPI cannot go into detail about a system-config-* gui or Yast.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  5. Re: Why /etc is different among distros?

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup linux.redhat, in article
    <38b80e98-465f-4d55-bb2c-4bab8e333fda@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,
    Artificer wrote:

    >Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:

    >> Artificer schreef:

    >>> I undertand why solaris has different files in /etc compared to
    >>> Linux but why /etc is different among linux distros?

    >> Do you understand why /etc is differn for Solaris?
    >> explain to me, please.

    Different "standards".

    Standards are wonderful thing;
    everyone should have one of his very own

    >> This might answer your question.

    Possibly

    >> To me it is just asking an explaination for the tower of Babel.

    But that was a government project...

    >What I mean is that is obvious that if you want to use solaris you
    >should study solaris, if you want to use freeBSD you study freeBSD,
    >but if you want to use Linux you should be able to study Linux
    >however each distro is sometimes like a whole diferent UNIX flavor.

    Yet "knowing" one _well_ (whether it be a registered UNIX, or one of
    the three hundred plus Linux, or one of the *BSDs) will let you solve
    what is going on with the rest.

    >I was expecting each distro to be diferent to each other just in
    >terms of the packages installed and how they were configured. But it
    >was weird to me to find out that also system configuration files were
    >different.

    As you are only referring to the "stuff" that is located "there", a
    reasonable starting place is the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard which
    you can find at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/. A bit more of an
    explanation is available in the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy guide from
    the LDP at http://tldp.org/guides.html. The FHS is actually a part of
    the Linux Standard Base, (http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/) and that
    document refers to POSIX, but that's getting a bit over the mark.

    BRIEFLY, the FHS specifies one required and three optional directories
    in /etc/, and specifies 31 optional files in /etc/. But that's it.
    You might be horrified to know that /etc/passwd is an _optional_ file.

    BOTTOM LINE: if it ain't specified/required, we'll do it "our" way,
    because we know that our way is best... just ask us. ;-)

    Old guy

  6. Re: Why /etc is different among distros?

    Artificer wrote:
    > I undertand why solaris has different files in /etc compared to Linux
    > but why /etc is different among linux distros?

    I have never looked at Solaris. But as there is no standard as to what does
    go into /etc finding different things is to be expected. And as Solaris is not
    linux it see no reason to expect they will ever agree.

    --
    Israel: The land of religious fanatics with their
    finger on the nuclear trigger.

  7. Re: Why /etc is different among distros?

    Artificer wrote:
    > I undertand why solaris has different files in /etc compared to Linux
    > but why /etc is different among linux distros?

    Why are there many types of breakfast cereal? Tastes vary, unfortunately in
    confusing ways at times. And different Linux distros and authors trained in
    different environments: /etc used to be a mini-location for restoration
    binaries, used to bootstrap the operating system enough to generate the real
    /usr and /home from tape. Since then, the UNIX File System Hierarchy came out
    and has been followed by most distros, unless they use Dan Bernstein's
    software which completely ignores everybody else's standards.

+ Reply to Thread