AUFS or UNIONFS on Fedora? - Redhat

This is a discussion on AUFS or UNIONFS on Fedora? - Redhat ; Does anyone know how to install and set either of these up under Fedora 8? Ordinarily I have no problem figuring this stuff out but I can't seem to be able to find either of these in any of the ...

  1. AUFS or UNIONFS on Fedora?

    Does anyone know how to install and set either of these up under Fedora 8?
    Ordinarily I have no problem figuring this stuff out but I can't seem to be able
    to find either of these in any of the repos. Assuming that there just are NOT
    any RPM's out there, where exactly do you find the sources for the compile? If
    you do compile from source will I need to re-compile every time there is a
    kernel update?

    I have found loads of articles about AUFS and Unionfs by searching Google, but
    all of them start off with the assumption that these things are already
    available on your machine? What I need is a howto on getting it installed in
    the first place!

    Miguel

  2. Re: AUFS or UNIONFS on Fedora?

    Miguel wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to install and set either of these up under Fedora 8?
    > Ordinarily I have no problem figuring this stuff out but I can't seem to be able
    > to find either of these in any of the repos. Assuming that there just are NOT
    > any RPM's out there, where exactly do you find the sources for the compile? If
    > you do compile from source will I need to re-compile every time there is a
    > kernel update?
    >
    > I have found loads of articles about AUFS and Unionfs by searching Google, but
    > all of them start off with the assumption that these things are already
    > available on your machine? What I need is a howto on getting it installed in
    > the first place!
    >
    > Miguel

    Hey,

    Never done or used either, but this seems to have a pretty good
    'step-by-step' for AUFS - http://aufs.sourceforge.net/. I did not see
    any RPM's for it, but doesn't mean there aren't any.

    UnionFS appears to be included in Andrew Mortons -mm tree as of Jan
    9/2007 as seen here: http://www.filesystems.org/project-unionfs.html so
    check what version kernel you are using maybe it already is included -
    or you have to recompile with it enabled.

    Good luck!

    JR.

    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

  3. Re: AUFS or UNIONFS on Fedora?

    Miguel wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to install and set either of these up under Fedora 8?
    > Ordinarily I have no problem figuring this stuff out but I can't seem to be able
    > to find either of these in any of the repos. Assuming that there just are NOT
    > any RPM's out there, where exactly do you find the sources for the compile? If
    > you do compile from source will I need to re-compile every time there is a
    > kernel update?
    >
    > I have found loads of articles about AUFS and Unionfs by searching Google, but
    > all of them start off with the assumption that these things are already
    > available on your machine? What I need is a howto on getting it installed in
    > the first place!
    >
    > Miguel

    Hey,

    Never done or used either, but this seems to have a pretty good
    'step-by-step' for AUFS - http://aufs.sourceforge.net/. I did not see
    any RPM's for it, but doesn't mean there aren't any.

    UnionFS appears to be included in Andrew Mortons -mm tree as of Jan
    9/2007 as seen here: http://www.filesystems.org/project-unionfs.html so
    check what version kernel you are using maybe it already is included -
    or you have to recompile with it enabled.

    Good luck!

    JR.

    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

+ Reply to Thread