Fedora & RHEL Questions - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora & RHEL Questions - Redhat ; I have some fedora questions but given the relation it has with RHEL I guess I can get a better response here. 1.For a small business server and workstations should I use Fedora or CentOS? 2.If have a fedora 8 ...

  1. Fedora & RHEL Questions

    I have some fedora questions but given the relation it has with RHEL I
    guess I can get a better response here.

    1.For a small business server and workstations should I use Fedora or
    CentOS?
    2.If have a fedora 8 (for example) in order to upgrade to fedora 9 I
    just have to yum all the packages that I am using or do I have to do
    some “especial” upgrade process?
    3.Is RHEL that much better that Fedora or is just a matter of support?
    4.If I need to install RHEL 5 Desktop on 100 PCs of my company do I
    have to buy 100 support subscriptions?

  2. Re: Fedora & RHEL Questions

    Artificer wrote:
    > I have some fedora questions but given the relation it has with RHEL I
    > guess I can get a better response here.
    >
    > 1.For a small business server and workstations should I use Fedora or
    > CentOS?

    Depends. Fedora for modern components, such as PHP or OpenSSH. CentOS for
    'server class stability'. RHEL if you want someone to call on the phone and
    make them fix it.

    > 2.If have a fedora 8 (for example) in order to upgrade to fedora 9 I
    > just have to yum all the packages that I am using or do I have to do
    > some “especial” upgrade process?

    In theory, yes. In practice, use the update CD's or network tools, because
    there are often RPM dependency boobytraps that the update CD knows about and
    this straight yum process does not.

    > 3.Is RHEL that much better that Fedora or is just a matter of support?
    > 4.If I need to install RHEL 5 Desktop on 100 PCs of my company do I
    > have to buy 100 support subscriptions?

    Support, and *stability*. Fedora 9 is bleeding edge, and much more likely to
    introduce component updates that will mess up commercial grade software. I
    certainly wouldn't try to run Oracle on it, unless I wanted to be an Oracle
    debugger part-time.

+ Reply to Thread