Tell yum that a package is installed - Redhat

This is a discussion on Tell yum that a package is installed - Redhat ; I just built and installed iptables from source, and now I want to use yum to install some other packages that depend on iptables. But yum doesn't recognize that iptables is already installed, and it's wants to install over it. ...

  1. Tell yum that a package is installed

    I just built and installed iptables from source, and now I want to use
    yum to install some other packages that depend on iptables. But yum
    doesn't recognize that iptables is already installed, and it's wants
    to install over it. Is there a way I can force yum to know it's
    already there?

    Thanks,
    -Brian

  2. Re: Tell yum that a package is installed

    mearns.b@gmail.com wrote:
    > I just built and installed iptables from source, and now I want to use
    > yum to install some other packages that depend on iptables. But yum
    > doesn't recognize that iptables is already installed, and it's wants
    > to install over it. Is there a way I can force yum to know it's
    > already there?

    1. Build iptables into an rpm and install the rpm (recommended)
    2. Use rpm to install your other package and force nodeps

    Ignoring dependencies is exactly contrary to the philosophy of yum, so
    there's nothing you can do with yum that will change that, unless you
    hack yum itself or, maybe, write a plugin.

  3. Re: Tell yum that a package is installed

    Thanks, Allen. I'll look into your suggestion; I've be wanting to
    learn how to create an rpm anyway.

    -Brian

  4. Re: Tell yum that a package is installed

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 05:28:59 -0700, mearns.b typed this message:

    > Thanks, Allen. I'll look into your suggestion; I've be wanting to learn
    > how to create an rpm anyway.
    >
    > -Brian

    I think there is an option -t for tolerate command line errors, and a
    yum plugin yum-skip-broken for a yum --skip-broken install

    Worse case rpm --nodeps -Uhv

+ Reply to Thread