create a file outside the users home directory when creating a newuser - Redhat

This is a discussion on create a file outside the users home directory when creating a newuser - Redhat ; if I add a new user how would I go about automatically create a file for the user inside /var/mail with appropriate ownerships and rights?...

  1. create a file outside the users home directory when creating a newuser

    if I add a new user how would I go about automatically create a file
    for the user inside /var/mail with appropriate ownerships and rights?

  2. Re: create a file outside the users home directory when creating anewuser

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:25:23 -0700, canajien@gmail.com wrote:

    > if I add a new user how would I go about automatically create a file for
    > the user inside /var/mail with appropriate ownerships and rights?

    Why do you feel this is necessary? The user's mailbox file will be
    automatically created by the mail system if it doesn't exist when they
    receive their first email. Unless you are trying to accomplish something
    unusual with the permissions this is a non-issue.

    - NL

  3. Re: create a file outside the users home directory when creating anewuser

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:25:23 -0700, canajien@gmail.com wrote:

    > if I add a new user how would I go about automatically create a file for
    > the user inside /var/mail with appropriate ownerships and rights?

    Why do you feel this is necessary? The user's mailbox file will be
    automatically created by the mail system if it doesn't exist when they
    receive their first email. Unless you are trying to accomplish something
    unusual with the permissions this is a non-issue.

    - NL

  4. Re: create a file outside the users home directory when creating anew user

    On Sep 3, 11:30*pm, Netlurker wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:25:23 -0700, canaj...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > if I add a new user how would I go about automatically create a file for
    > > the user inside /var/mail with appropriate ownerships and rights?

    > Why do you feel this is necessary? *The user's mailbox file will be
    > automatically created by the mail system if it doesn't exist when they
    > receive their first email. *Unless you are trying to accomplish something
    > unusual with the permissions this is a non-issue.
    >
    > - NL

    the users mail file isn't being created automatically

+ Reply to Thread