Kmail broken after Fedora upgrade - Redhat

This is a discussion on Kmail broken after Fedora upgrade - Redhat ; Hi All, Anyone else having problems with kmail on Fedora 9? Since the last update, mine hangs everytime it starts to collect mail (I don't get as far as being prompted for the kwallet password). Anybody got any suggestions on ...

  1. Kmail broken after Fedora upgrade

    Hi All,

    Anyone else having problems with kmail on Fedora 9? Since the last
    update, mine hangs everytime it starts to collect mail (I don't get as
    far as being prompted for the kwallet password).

    Anybody got any suggestions on how to fix?

    C.

  2. Re: Kmail broken after Fedora upgrade

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:30:01 -0700, C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/)
    wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Anyone else having problems with kmail on Fedora 9? Since the last
    > update, mine hangs everytime it starts to collect mail (I don't get as
    > far as being prompted for the kwallet password).

    No, but Opera 9.52 isn't happy with the BBC site (Gnome, not KDE) though
    Firefox 3 seems happy apart from being crashed by some BBC video footage.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK

  3. Re: Kmail broken after Fedora upgrade

    On 22 août, 13:04, Martin Gregorie
    wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:30:01 -0700, C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/)
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi All,

    > > Anyone else having problems with kmail on Fedora 9? Since the last
    > > update, mine hangs everytime it starts to collect mail (I don't get as
    > > far as being prompted for the kwallet password).

    > No, but Opera 9.52 isn't happy with the BBC site (Gnome, not KDE) though
    > Firefox 3 seems happy apart from being crashed by some BBC video footage.
    >
    > --
    > martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
    > gregorie. | Essex, UK
    > org * * * |

    I think everybody has problems with FC9, it's plain bull****..
    Zoot

  4. Re: Kmail broken after Fedora upgrade

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:31:40 -0700 (PDT), zoot wrote:

    >I think everybody has problems with FC9, it's plain bull****..
    >Zoot

    Fedora 9 been working fine for me, although I don't do anything too exciting.

    The one thing it doesn't seem to do is sync to the time server on booting but
    that appears to be a common failing.

  5. Re: Kmail broken after Fedora upgrade

    zoot wrote:
    > On 22 août, 13:04, Martin Gregorie
    > wrote:
    >> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:30:01 -0700, C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/)
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>> Anyone else having problems with kmail on Fedora 9? Since the last
    >>> update, mine hangs everytime it starts to collect mail (I don't get as
    >>> far as being prompted for the kwallet password).

    >> No, but Opera 9.52 isn't happy with the BBC site (Gnome, not KDE) though
    >> Firefox 3 seems happy apart from being crashed by some BBC video footage.

    > I think everybody has problems with FC9, it's plain bull****..

    That's definitely not true. F9 is the best so far, in my opinion. I've
    been using it since the day it was released and i've had no trouble with
    it at all - apart from a bug somewhere between the kernel and
    NetworkManager related to the specific wireless NIC in this particular
    laptop, and not Fedora specific anyway.

    --
    http://SnapAndScribble.com

  6. Re: Kmail broken after Fedora upgrade

    Andy Cap wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:31:40 -0700 (PDT), zoot wrote:
    >
    >> I think everybody has problems with FC9, it's plain bull****..
    >> Zoot

    > Fedora 9 been working fine for me, although I don't do anything too exciting.
    >
    > The one thing it doesn't seem to do is sync to the time server on booting but
    > that appears to be a common failing.

    There's an interesting set of timing dependencies with NTP tools, and the
    availability of the NTP servers. I find it helpful to use Nagios to monitor my
    systems for NTP status. Even if you don't feel like running Nagios, installing
    it from the EPEL repository and running '/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_ntp -H
    localhost' occasionally can be very informative.

  7. Re: Kmail broken after Fedora upgrade

    On 26 Aug, 11:08, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Andy Cap wrote:
    > > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:31:40 -0700 (PDT), zoot wrote:

    > >> I think everybody has problems with FC9, it's plain bull****..
    > >> Zoot

    > > Fedora 9 been working fine for me, although I don't do anything too exciting.

    > > The one thing it doesn't seem to do is sync to the time server on booting but
    > > that appears to be a common failing.

    > There's an interesting set of timing dependencies with NTP tools, and the
    > availability of the NTP servers. I find it helpful to use Nagios to monitor my
    > systems for NTP status. Even if you don't feel like running Nagios, installing
    > it from the EPEL repository and running '/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_ntp -H
    > localhost' occasionally can be very informative.

    Mysteriously it has suddenly started working again (without me
    changing anything - just a couple of reboots - and the first reboot
    didn't resolve it). Which suggests there may be timing issues.

    I'd recently switched to using Fedora after a long spell with SuSE
    which was becoming too bloated (IMHO) and needed a bleeding edge
    kernel (2.6.25) to run on my new hardware (previous gave various
    problems with ACPI and USB). On reflection I don't really think that
    the KDE4 system supplied was production quality.

    Think I may reinstall something else on my desktop soon. Unfortunately
    its been over a year since the last PCLinuxOS release which is
    currently doing sterling service in my laptop,

    C.

  8. Re: Kmail broken after Fedora upgrade

    On 29 août, 14:37, "C." wrote:
    > On 26 Aug, 11:08, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >

    > > Andy Cap wrote:

    > > > Fedora 9 been working fine for me, although I don't do anything too exciting.

    > > > The one thing it doesn't seem to do is sync to the time server on booting but
    > > > that appears to be a common failing.

    > > There's an interesting set of timing dependencies with NTP tools, and the
    > > availability of the NTP servers. I find it helpful to use Nagios to monitor my
    > > systems for NTP status. Even if you don't feel like running Nagios, installing
    > > it from the EPEL repository and running '/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_ntp -H
    > > localhost' occasionally can be very informative.

    > Mysteriously it has suddenly started working again (without me
    > changing anything - just a couple of reboots - and the first reboot
    > didn't resolve it). Which suggests there may be timing issues.
    >
    > I'd recently switched to using Fedora after a long spell with SuSE
    > which was becoming too bloated (IMHO) and needed a bleeding edge
    > kernel (2.6.25) to run on my new hardware (previous gave various
    > problems with ACPI and USB). On reflection I don't really think that
    > the KDE4 system supplied was production quality.
    >
    > Think I may reinstall something else on my desktop soon. Unfortunately
    > its been over a year since the last PCLinuxOS release which is
    > currently doing sterling service in my laptop,
    >
    > C.

    You have been luky with FC9, mine hang every now and then (KDE ? ), it
    changes /etc/fstab to hold FS id rather than device, many thing did
    work after the upgrade and most my screen is blinking even after all
    the changes I did, it woked fine with FC7..
    Firefox was a Beta version, so Is KDE..
    And more generaly, there is a new version of Fedora every 6 month,
    that too often to have a stabilised version, even the documentation
    stay far behind and as I already said, I want to USE my computer
    rather to waste time fixing it.
    I will be moving my home server to Debian? and portable PC to xandros
    wich by the way immediatly found my wireless card wicth Fedora never
    did.
    CU
    Zoot

+ Reply to Thread