how to get more than one user to be in the GROUP for directory ownership? - Redhat

This is a discussion on how to get more than one user to be in the GROUP for directory ownership? - Redhat ; I need "apache" and my username to share access to a directory because my php script creates directories within a directory. For example the directory /home/html/mysite/files, I want apache to be able to create directories and file and I need ...

  1. how to get more than one user to be in the GROUP for directory ownership?

    I need "apache" and my username to share access to a directory because my
    php script creates directories within a directory.

    For example the directory /home/html/mysite/files, I want apache to be able
    to create directories and file and I need to see those files and directories
    when I use WinSCP using my username to login.

    Currently, I did this and it allows the script to write directories:
    chown username:apache files

    I use WinSCP (which logs in using username) to check out what's inside those
    directories and it errors out, permission denied.

    Any ideas are much appreciated!

  2. Re: how to get more than one user to be in the GROUP for directory ownership?

    In news:uyjrk.13642$rD2.12294@bignews4.bellsouth.net,
    TriAdmin typed:

    > I need "apache" and my username to share access to a directory
    > because my php script creates directories within a directory.

    > Any ideas are much appreciated!

    One normally uses a web browser to connect to the Apache server, and
    traverses the directory structure according to the permissions enabled in
    the Apache configuration. If you feel the need to add your username to
    /etc/group as a member of "apache" then you might wish to seriously
    reconsider your security ideals -- the php scripts should create the correct
    directory and file permissions.

+ Reply to Thread