newbie question: how to get more than one user to be in the GROUP for directory ownership? - Redhat

This is a discussion on newbie question: how to get more than one user to be in the GROUP for directory ownership? - Redhat ; I need "apache" and my username to share access to a directory because my php script creates directories within a directory. For example the directory /home/html/mysite/files, I want apache to be able to create directories and file and I need ...

  1. newbie question: how to get more than one user to be in the GROUP for directory ownership?

    I need "apache" and my username to share access to a directory because my
    php script creates directories within a directory.

    For example the directory /home/html/mysite/files, I want apache to be able
    to create directories and file and I need to see those files and directories
    when I use WinSCP using my username to login.

    Currently, I did this and it allows the script to write directories:
    chown username:apache files

    I use WinSCP (which logs in using username) to check out what's inside those
    directories and it errors out, permission denied.

    Any ideas are much appreciated!

  2. Re: newbie question: how to get more than one user to be in theGROUP for directory ownership?

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:41:52 -0400, TriAdmin wrote:

    > I need "apache" and my username to share access to a directory because
    > my php script creates directories within a directory.
    >
    > For example the directory /home/html/mysite/files, I want apache to be
    > able to create directories and file and I need to see those files and
    > directories when I use WinSCP using my username to login.
    >
    > Currently, I did this and it allows the script to write directories:
    > chown username:apache files
    >
    > I use WinSCP (which logs in using username) to check out what's inside
    > those directories and it errors out, permission denied.
    >
    > Any ideas are much appreciated!

    If you are going to have the group as apache anyway, then just you could
    just add your username to that group:

    usermod -aG apache username

    - NL

+ Reply to Thread