shadow account - Redhat

This is a discussion on shadow account - Redhat ; This question isn't specific to redhat so forgive me, but: I'm attempting to backup some linux servers by using rsync to copy the directories I want to a central server that gets backed up. I was told by someone to ...

  1. shadow account

    This question isn't specific to redhat so forgive me, but:

    I'm attempting to backup some linux servers by using rsync to copy the
    directories I want to a central server that gets backed up. I was told
    by someone to "use a shadow account....so you don't have to worry
    about the permissions"

    I have no idea what that means.

  2. Re: shadow account

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 13:01:13 -0700, Scooter wrote:

    > This question isn't specific to redhat so forgive me, but:
    >
    > I'm attempting to backup some linux servers by using rsync to copy the
    > directories I want to a central server that gets backed up. I was told
    > by someone to "use a shadow account....so you don't have to worry about
    > the permissions"
    >
    > I have no idea what that means.

    I'm not sure what he means either. There is a /etc/shadow file that stores
    passwords for all accounts on the system, but is not an actual account.
    You may want to ask him to clarify.

    Anyways, if you are going to be using rsync and are concerned about the
    permissions, make sure you use the -aH options which will preserve all
    permissions, timestamps, etc. I tend to always use -avHu when I use rsync.

  3. Re: shadow account

    I think his comment wasnt' so much in maintaining the permissions, but
    more of bypassing them (but in my scenario I am maintaining them). I'm
    actually running a backup using the procedures outlined in an article
    http://ttsiodras.googlepages.com/backup.html.
    It describes doing a remote backup using rsync to a samba mount. The
    way its done is actually pretty cool
    Since the ultimate goal is to do a full server backup I need a non
    root account that has read access to everything.

    While I'm still attempting to track down my ever elusive colleague who
    mentioned the "shadow account", if anyone has any more suggestions I'm
    open to them

    On Aug 15, 1:29*am, sh8kin7 wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 13:01:13 -0700, Scooter wrote:
    > > This question isn't specific to redhat so forgive me, but:

    > > I'm attempting to backup some linux servers by using rsync to copy the
    > > directories I want to a central server that gets backed up. I was told
    > > by someone to "use a shadow account....so you don't have to worry about
    > > the permissions"

    > > I have no idea what that means.

    > I'm not sure what he means either. There is a /etc/shadow file that stores
    > passwords for all accounts on the system, but is not an actual account.
    > You may want to ask him to clarify.
    >
    > Anyways, if you are going to be using rsync and are concerned about the
    > permissions, make sure you use the -aH options which will preserve all
    > permissions, timestamps, etc. I tend to always use -avHu when I use rsync..

+ Reply to Thread