Disable usb drives (thumb drives) in Linux - Redhat

This is a discussion on Disable usb drives (thumb drives) in Linux - Redhat ; I have captive users under RHEL 4.3 (some 4.6) and need to find a good way to lockout usage of USB drives. I've seen some discussions in the past but no definitive answers. It seems that you can prevent booting ...

  1. Disable usb drives (thumb drives) in Linux

    I have captive users under RHEL 4.3 (some 4.6) and need to find a good
    way to lockout usage of USB drives. I've seen some discussions in the
    past but no definitive answers. It seems that you can prevent booting
    off one with the machines bios. I've seen comments that you can use
    the gui interface and under removable meia disable this. That may be a
    gnome function, but we are not using gnome. We are not currently using
    selinux, but might turn it on if thats the best way to disable the usb
    drives. I also hear that you can use modprobe -r usb_storage and then
    blacklist usb_storage? Can anyone give me a definitive way and enough
    information for a novie system admin (thats me) to disable these usb
    drives?

    As always, any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

    Ken

  2. Re: Disable usb drives (thumb drives) in Linux

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:05:35 -0400, Ken Cobb wrote:

    > I have captive users under RHEL 4.3 (some 4.6) and need to find a good
    > way to lockout usage of USB drives. I also hear that you can use

    modprobe -r usb_storage and then
    > blacklist usb_storage? Can anyone give me a definitive way and enough
    > information for a novie system admin (thats me) to disable these usb
    > drives?
    >
    > As always, any help at all will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Ken

    You should be able to open your /etc/modprobe.conf file and turn of auto

    alias usb_storage off

    Either reboot or modprobe -r usb_storage

    Hope that works out for you.

+ Reply to Thread