Red Hat 5 and Realtek RTL8101 fast ethernet card. - Redhat

This is a discussion on Red Hat 5 and Realtek RTL8101 fast ethernet card. - Redhat ; I recently did an install of Redhat 5 on my Toshiba Satellite A135- S4677 laptop. Unfortunately my Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC is not recognized. I am unable to configure the network interface. Could anybody point me in ...

  1. Red Hat 5 and Realtek RTL8101 fast ethernet card.

    I recently did an install of Redhat 5 on my Toshiba Satellite A135-
    S4677 laptop. Unfortunately my Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast
    Ethernet NIC is not recognized. I am unable to configure the network
    interface. Could anybody point me in the right direction to fix this
    issue. I've had no luck as of yet. Thanks!

  2. Re: Red Hat 5 and Realtek RTL8101 fast ethernet card.

    steveb wrote:
    > I recently did an install of Redhat 5 on my Toshiba Satellite A135-
    > S4677 laptop. Unfortunately my Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast
    > Ethernet NIC is not recognized. I am unable to configure the network
    > interface. Could anybody point me in the right direction to fix this
    > issue. I've had no luck as of yet. Thanks!

    I'm *amazed* if you installed RedHat 5, it's so out of date I can't even find
    my old media for it. I assume you mean RHEL 5, either 5.0, 5.1, or 5.2?

    In any case, if you can use another network device temporarily such as a
    USB/Ethernet device, you can try to run all the updates and see if the kernel
    updates help you. That automatically brings you up to RHEL 5.2, which despite
    confusing labeling, is in fact a slightly different release than 5.0. Or,
    since laptop support is dependent on leading edge kernels and components, you
    could try installing with Fedora and see how far you get.

  3. Re: Red Hat 5 and Realtek RTL8101 fast ethernet card.

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:41:17 -0700, steveb wrote:

    > I recently did an install of Redhat 5 on my Toshiba Satellite A135-
    > S4677 laptop. Unfortunately my Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast
    > Ethernet NIC is not recognized. I am unable to configure the network
    > interface. Could anybody point me in the right direction to fix this
    > issue. I've had no luck as of yet. Thanks!

    I assume you mean RHEL 5. RHEL is a lousy choice for a desktop type
    system, it's aimed at servers. The major flaw is Redhat's kernel policy.
    They use antique kernels that start life a year out of date when the
    distro is new and then stay frozen in time. As a result if you have
    desktop hardware that came out after the release of the kernel in RHEL it
    won't be supported. I think they backport drivers for server hardware but
    they don't bother to do it for desktop hardware. If you want to run RHEL
    on your laptop you will have to build your own kernel. I have 2.6.24.7
    running on my CentOS5.2 Core2 box.

    The other drawback of RHEL/CentOS as a desktop/laptop system is that it
    only has a subset of the available Linux apps, basically the things that
    you need for a server but not the things that are nice to have on a
    desktop. Also it has antique wireless tools and an antique version of
    Gnome.

    Fedora is a much better choice for your laptop. Fedora 9 is completely up
    to date and it has everything that's available in the Linux universe.
    Fedora has compatibility libraries which give it fairly good compatibility
    with RHEL and if that's not good enough you can use VMware to run RHEL/
    CentOS on top of Fedora.

  4. Re: Red Hat 5 and Realtek RTL8101 fast ethernet card.

    General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:41:17 -0700, steveb wrote:
    >
    >> I recently did an install of Redhat 5 on my Toshiba Satellite A135-
    >> S4677 laptop. Unfortunately my Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast
    >> Ethernet NIC is not recognized. I am unable to configure the network
    >> interface. Could anybody point me in the right direction to fix this
    >> issue. I've had no luck as of yet. Thanks!

    > I assume you mean RHEL 5. RHEL is a lousy choice for a desktop type
    > system, it's aimed at servers. The major flaw is Redhat's kernel policy.
    > They use antique kernels that start life a year out of date when the
    > distro is new and then stay frozen in time. As a result if you have
    > desktop hardware that came out after the release of the kernel in RHEL it
    > won't be supported. I think they backport drivers for server hardware but
    > they don't bother to do it for desktop hardware. If you want to run RHEL
    > on your laptop you will have to build your own kernel. I have 2.6.24.7
    > running on my CentOS5.2 Core2 box.
    >
    > The other drawback of RHEL/CentOS as a desktop/laptop system is that it
    > only has a subset of the available Linux apps, basically the things that
    > you need for a server but not the things that are nice to have on a
    > desktop. Also it has antique wireless tools and an antique version of
    > Gnome.
    >
    > Fedora is a much better choice for your laptop. Fedora 9 is completely up
    > to date and it has everything that's available in the Linux universe.
    > Fedora has compatibility libraries which give it fairly good compatibility
    > with RHEL and if that's not good enough you can use VMware to run RHEL/
    > CentOS on top of Fedora.

    This is not necessarily good. If you use your laptop for software demos, or
    consider it for untra-reliable business demos, Fedora can be a software
    integration adventure. That's why it's developer class software, not 'always
    works for the sales guys' software.

    Laptops, with their unpredictable chipsets and tendencies of manufacturers to
    shave a few pennies here and there with odd components, are one of the most
    difficult markets for server-class software support.

  5. Re: Red Hat 5 and Realtek RTL8101 fast ethernet card.

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 19:13:24 +0100, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >> On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:41:17 -0700, steveb wrote:
    >>
    >>> I recently did an install of Redhat 5 on my Toshiba Satellite A135-
    >>> S4677 laptop. Unfortunately my Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast
    >>> Ethernet NIC is not recognized. I am unable to configure the network
    >>> interface. Could anybody point me in the right direction to fix this
    >>> issue. I've had no luck as of yet. Thanks!

    >> I assume you mean RHEL 5. RHEL is a lousy choice for a desktop type
    >> system, it's aimed at servers. The major flaw is Redhat's kernel
    >> policy. They use antique kernels that start life a year out of date
    >> when the distro is new and then stay frozen in time. As a result if you
    >> have desktop hardware that came out after the release of the kernel in
    >> RHEL it won't be supported. I think they backport drivers for server
    >> hardware but they don't bother to do it for desktop hardware. If you
    >> want to run RHEL on your laptop you will have to build your own kernel.
    >> I have 2.6.24.7 running on my CentOS5.2 Core2 box.
    >>
    >> The other drawback of RHEL/CentOS as a desktop/laptop system is that it
    >> only has a subset of the available Linux apps, basically the things
    >> that you need for a server but not the things that are nice to have on
    >> a desktop. Also it has antique wireless tools and an antique version of
    >> Gnome.
    >>
    >> Fedora is a much better choice for your laptop. Fedora 9 is completely
    >> up to date and it has everything that's available in the Linux
    >> universe. Fedora has compatibility libraries which give it fairly good
    >> compatibility with RHEL and if that's not good enough you can use
    >> VMware to run RHEL/ CentOS on top of Fedora.

    > This is not necessarily good. If you use your laptop for software demos,
    > or consider it for untra-reliable business demos, Fedora can be a
    > software integration adventure. That's why it's developer class
    > software, not 'always works for the sales guys' software.
    >
    > Laptops, with their unpredictable chipsets and tendencies of
    > manufacturers to shave a few pennies here and there with odd components,
    > are one of the most difficult markets for server-class software support.

    I run VMware on top of Fedora which gives me software compatibility and
    hardware compatibility. I have both Windows and CentOS5 VMs running on F9.

    If you are worried about Fedora breaking, the trick is to stay one rev
    behind, which would be Fedora 8 today. Fedora is pretty stable for the
    second half of it's life.

    If you really need to run RHEL/CentOS then you are stuck installing your
    own kernel. The .24 kernels seem to be the most recent kernels that run on
    CentOS5.2, I've tried the latest .25 and .26 kernels and I get kernel
    panics when I try to boot them but 2.6.24.7 works just fine.

+ Reply to Thread