FC-9 boot problem/solution - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC-9 boot problem/solution - Redhat ; I installed fc-9 on a friends computer. We updated the system and it went flawlessly. After rebooting we notice that the kernel had been updated. I rem out the line for the older version in grub.conf. I should have first ...

  1. FC-9 boot problem/solution

    I installed fc-9 on a friends computer. We updated the system and it
    went flawlessly. After rebooting we notice that the kernel had been
    updated. I rem out the line for the older version in grub.conf. I should
    have first made sure it would worked.
    Upon booting it failed with the new kernel. I booted to disk 1 of
    Fedora and tried a repair. It didn't see /boot or grub in etc. I don't
    know why this is? /boot/grub/grub.conf is were it is located. I was
    going to use vi and take the rem out so linux would boot to the older
    kernel. I couldn't get there? No boot directory visible. I know I've
    done this before and it was there. Any ideas?
    I edited grub in the boot process and saw “f'c9” on the boot line.
    Edited it taking out the “'”and it worked fine. Once it booted I took it
    out for good, but the insures I'll try a boot before just rem it out again.

  2. Re: FC-9 boot problem/solution

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 03:23:19 -0400
    Jesse Benton wrote:

    > I installed fc-9 on a friends computer. We updated the system and it
    > went flawlessly. After rebooting we notice that the kernel had been
    > updated. I rem out the line for the older version in grub.conf. I should
    > have first made sure it would worked.
    > Upon booting it failed with the new kernel. I booted to disk 1 of
    > Fedora and tried a repair. It didn't see /boot or grub in etc. I don't
    > know why this is? /boot/grub/grub.conf is were it is located. I was
    > going to use vi and take the rem out so linux would boot to the older
    > kernel. I couldn't get there? No boot directory visible. I know I've
    > done this before and it was there. Any ideas?
    > I edited grub in the boot process and saw "f'c9" on the boot line.
    > Edited it taking out the "'"and it worked fine. Once it booted I took it
    > out for good, but the insures I'll try a boot before just rem it out again.

    IIRC, when booting to recovery mode, you still need to manually mount
    the partition holding the grub.conf since your current working
    environment and root will be the recovery CD, not your hard disk.

    If in the newer Fedoras it's mounted automatically for you, check
    for something like /mnt/sda1/boot/grub/grub.conf. Otherwise, you'll
    have to mount the partition manually.
    --
    Michael

  3. Re: FC-9 boot problem/solution

    Jesse Benton wrote:
    > I installed fc-9 on a friends computer. We updated the system and it
    > went flawlessly. After rebooting we notice that the kernel had been
    > updated. I rem out the line for the older version in grub.conf. I should
    > have first made sure it would worked.
    > Upon booting it failed with the new kernel. I booted to disk 1 of
    > Fedora and tried a repair. It didn't see /boot or grub in etc. I don't
    > know why this is? /boot/grub/grub.conf is were it is located. I was
    > going to use vi and take the rem out so linux would boot to the older
    > kernel. I couldn't get there? No boot directory visible. I know I've
    > done this before and it was there. Any ideas?
    > I edited grub in the boot process and saw “f'c9” on the boot line.
    > Edited it taking out the “'”and it worked fine. Once it booted I took it
    > out for good, but the insures I'll try a boot before just rem it out again.

    Hello Jesse:

    In Grub:

    After having had an OS update installed, the next reboot offers a short
    period of time for you to either continue the bootup with the newer OS,
    or go back to the previous OS. It may seem wasteful to keep the extra
    files around, but this is your insurance policy, for success, on those
    rare occasions when the newer OS fails. I believe the OS files that
    are installed during an update amount to <100MB.

    Good luck to you.

    --
    1PW

    @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]