All man pages empty after problematic up2date - Redhat

This is a discussion on All man pages empty after problematic up2date - Redhat ; On RHEL 4.7 I ran into some problems with rpmdb being corrupted while using up2date. I was ultimately able to fix that by rebuilding the db and reinstalling the redhat-release rpm. But now all of the man pages are empty. ...

  1. All man pages empty after problematic up2date

    On RHEL 4.7 I ran into some problems with rpmdb being corrupted while
    using up2date. I was ultimately able to fix that by rebuilding the db
    and reinstalling the redhat-release rpm. But now all of the man pages
    are empty. "man ls", "man rm", even "man man" all come up blank. Now
    the funny thing is, if I look in /etc/man.config, the very first
    MANPATH is /usr/share/man, and if I do gunzip -dc /usr/share/man/en/
    man1/man.1.gz , sure enough the content is there. It seems like man
    man at least should be working, right? Any advice on how to continue
    debugging is appreciated.

    TIA!
    Joe

  2. Re: All man pages empty after problematic up2date

    The solution turned out to be to remove and reinstall the groff
    package:

    rpm -e groff --nodeps
    up2date -i groff

+ Reply to Thread