how do I install with RPM to install dependencies also? - Redhat

This is a discussion on how do I install with RPM to install dependencies also? - Redhat ; I am a newie to installing linux software and have been beating my head for a couple of days. I just learned that I can use something on my CENTOS 5 - which is the same as RHEL 5 - ...

  1. how do I install with RPM to install dependencies also?

    I am a newie to installing linux software and have been beating my head for
    a couple of days. I just learned that I can use something on my CENTOS 5 -
    which is the same as RHEL 5 - to install the rpm and all dependencies.

    Numeric-24.2-1.i586.rpm is the rpm I want to install, if that matters.

    How can I do install it AND any dependencies?

    Many thanks.

  2. Re: how do I install with RPM to install dependencies also?

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:46:04 -0400, TriAdmin typed this message:

    > I am a newie to installing linux software and have been beating my head
    > for a couple of days. I just learned that I can use something on my
    > CENTOS 5 - which is the same as RHEL 5 - to install the rpm and all
    > dependencies.
    >
    > Numeric-24.2-1.i586.rpm is the rpm I want to install, if that matters.
    >
    > How can I do install it AND any dependencies?
    >
    > Many thanks.

    I think you need the python-devel rpm

    $ sudo rpm -Uhv python-2.4-devel-2.4.2-3.2.1.i386.rpm

    I forgot you're using Redhat in my other reply.

    $ sudo yum install python-2.4-devel-2.4.2-3.2.1.i386.rpm

    or
    $ su -c "rpm -Uhv python-2.4-devel-2.4.2-3.2.1.i386.rpm"

    $ man yum

    Yum is a better package manager than rpm. Save rpm for 3rd party
    packages that do not have yum repositories for Redhat.

+ Reply to Thread