missing dependency is actually there - Redhat

This is a discussion on missing dependency is actually there - Redhat ; Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote: > noi ance wrote: > >> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:10:59 -0400, TriAdmin typed this message: >> >>>> Hmmm, I recognize some of that though confused about what's installed. >>>> >>>> When you tried the # ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: missing dependency is actually there

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> [...]
    >
    >> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:10:59 -0400, TriAdmin typed this message:

    >>> Thanks again. It is CENTOS 5 and uname -vp gave: #1 SMP Mon Mar 5
    >>> 16:35:19 MSK 2007 i686
    >>>
    >>> It looks like a later version of python-2.4.3-X is already installed
    >>>
    >>> [root@ip-XXX-XXX-XX-XX bin]# yum install python-2.4.3-19.el5.i386.rpm
    >>> Setting up Install Process
    >>> Setting up repositories
    >>> Reading repository metadata in from local files Parsing package install
    >>> arguments
    >>> Examining python-2.4.3-19.el5.i386.rpm: python - 2.4.3-19.el5.i386
    >>> python-2.4.3-19.el5.i386.rpm: does not update installed package. Nothing
    >>> to do
    >>> [root@ip-XXX-XXX-XX-XX bin]# yum install
    >>> python-devel-2.4.3-19.el5.i386.rpm Loading "installonlyn" plugin
    >>> Setting up Install Process
    >>> Setting up repositories
    >>> Reading repository metadata in from local files Parsing package install
    >>> arguments
    >>> Examining python-devel-2.4.3-19.el5.i386.rpm: python-devel -
    >>> 2.4.3-19.el5.i386
    >>> Marking python-devel-2.4.3-19.el5.i386.rpm to be installed Resolving
    >>> Dependencies
    >>> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait. --->
    >>> Package python-devel.i386 0:2.4.3-19.el5 set to be updated --> Running
    >>> transaction check
    >>> --> Processing Dependency: python = 2.4.3-19.el5 for package:
    >>> python-devel --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    >>> Error: Missing Dependency: python = 2.4.3-19.el5 is needed by package
    >>> python-devel

    >> What does Centos 5 mean? If you mean Centos 5.0 you'll have to use
    >> your installation CD or look for a repository that has Centos 5.0. I
    >> don't think Centos 5.0 is supported.

    > CentOS is a rebuild of RHEL, as complete freeware and with the closed
    > source bits and trademarks left out. CentOS comes with access to CentOS
    > repositories built-in, unlike that ghods-awful version of up2date in
    > grandma's dress with big teeth and big ears and fuzz all over that
    > RedHat published as 'yum-rhn-plugin' in their RHEL 5. To speed all
    > RedHat yum work, use 'reposync' to create a local yum-compatible mirror
    > of all RedHat packages and delete yum-rhn-plugin the rest of the time.
    >
    > Ye ghods, that thing is nasty.
    >
    >> I don't see output from $ rpm -qa | grep -i python
    >> $ yum search python
    >> so can't verify installed versions.
    >>
    >> But seems like python isn't installed correctly.
    >> At this point I suggest you verify that python-2.4.3-19.el5 is the
    >> python version that is on your Centos CD and is correct for your
    >> version of Centos.
    >>
    >> Then you can try to replace the Python package using rpm
    >> $ su -c 'rpm --replacepkgs -Fhv python-2.4.3-19.el5.i386.rpm'
    >>
    >> or $ su -c 'rpm --force -Fhv python-2.4.3-19.el5.i386.rpm'
    >>

    > Don't use --force for this sort of work: --replacepkgs is useful.
    >
    > Running 'yum list | less' will also give a lot of useful package

    or

    yum list available | less

    gives only packages that or not yet installed (shorter list)

  2. Re: missing dependency is actually there

    > Don't use --force for this sort of work: --replacepkgs is useful.
    >
    > Running 'yum list | less' will also give a lot of useful package
    > information.

    --force is --replacepkgs

    Apparently something is wrong with the OP's installed python package,
    whether it's the yum database or installed python package its unknown.
    Its shown as being installed but not available for packages dependent on
    python.

    Rather than reinstall the Centos package I suggest he try to reinstall
    the base python package.

  3. Re: missing dependency is actually there

    noi ance wrote:
    >> Don't use --force for this sort of work: --replacepkgs is useful.
    >>
    >> Running 'yum list | less' will also give a lot of useful package
    >> information.

    > --force is --replacepkgs

    No, it's *NOT*. --force ignores all dependencies. --replacepkgs is useful when
    RPM failed partway through and gave you multiple copies of the package, or is
    confusing itself about the installation needs.

    > Apparently something is wrong with the OP's installed python package,
    > whether it's the yum database or installed python package its unknown.
    > Its shown as being installed but not available for packages dependent on
    > python.
    >
    > Rather than reinstall the Centos package I suggest he try to reinstall
    > the base python package.

    Which seems reasonable, but is not a --force option. It's a --replacepkgs
    optio option.

    The original poster seemed to be hanking components from distinct sources,
    even distinct RHEL or Fedora releases, and expecting them to install
    gracefully on the same system. Doesn't work, and shouldn't work. Let's make
    sure he gets the right versions of packages for his OS, rather than
    over-riding his existing structure with mismatched components. That's
    something really easy to muck up with the '--force' option.

  4. Re: missing dependency is actually there

    continued many thanks for your help along this path to being an RH newbie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2