newbie needs to install software, please help - Redhat

This is a discussion on newbie needs to install software, please help - Redhat ; I want to install some software that are used in another package I am using. this is the software I want to install: http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mde...er-1.39.tar.gz How do I do it? Where is it supposed to go or will it automatically be ...

  1. newbie needs to install software, please help

    I want to install some software that are used in another package I am using.

    this is the software I want to install:
    http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mde...er-1.39.tar.gz

    How do I do it? Where is it supposed to go or will it automatically be
    installed where it is suppoed to? Do I need to download it first to my
    windows machine the upload it using ftp to a directory, then untar it then
    make install?

    OR, (hopefully) there is an easy to get get and install this where it is
    supposed to be installed using the OS which is CENTOS

    Many thanks for helping this poor newbie(me) out!

  2. Re: newbie needs to install software, please help

    TriAdmin wrote:
    > I want to install some software that are used in another package I am using.
    >
    > this is the software I want to install:
    > http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mde...er-1.39.tar.gz
    >
    > How do I do it? Where is it supposed to go or will it automatically be
    > installed where it is suppoed to? Do I need to download it first to my
    > windows machine the upload it using ftp to a directory, then untar it then
    > make install?
    >
    > OR, (hopefully) there is an easy to get get and install this where it is
    > supposed to be installed using the OS which is CENTOS
    >
    > Many thanks for helping this poor newbie(me) out!

    TriAdmin,

    Download either with firefox on the server or with your browser on the
    windows machine.

    ftp to server if needed.

    tar xvzf Pycluster-1.39.tar.gz

    less INSTALL

    and follow instructions for Python.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: newbie needs to install software, please help

    "Jan Gerrit Kootstra" wrote in message
    news:7ca31$4884ece6$5039c0af$7663@news.chello.nl.. .
    > TriAdmin wrote:
    >> I want to install some software that are used in another package I am
    >> using.
    >>
    >> this is the software I want to install:
    >> http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mde...er-1.39.tar.gz
    >>
    >> How do I do it? Where is it supposed to go or will it automatically be
    >> installed where it is suppoed to? Do I need to download it first to my
    >> windows machine the upload it using ftp to a directory, then untar it
    >> then make install?
    >>
    >> OR, (hopefully) there is an easy to get get and install this where it is
    >> supposed to be installed using the OS which is CENTOS
    >>
    >> Many thanks for helping this poor newbie(me) out!

    > TriAdmin,
    >

    > Download either with firefox on the server or with your browser on the
    > windows machine.
    >
    > ftp to server if needed.
    >
    > tar xvzf Pycluster-1.39.tar.gz
    >
    > less INSTALL
    >
    > and follow instructions for Python.
    >

    > Kind regards,
    >

    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra

    Many thanks Jan -

    - does it know where to install or will it stall in the directory I tar it?

    - "less INSTALL" is a command or was I supposed to undersatnd what less
    means?

    Many thanks.

  4. Re: newbie needs to install software, please help

    TriAdmin wrote:
    > "Jan Gerrit Kootstra" wrote in message
    > news:7ca31$4884ece6$5039c0af$7663@news.chello.nl.. .
    >> TriAdmin wrote:
    >>> I want to install some software that are used in another package I am
    >>> using.
    >>>
    >>> this is the software I want to install:
    >>> http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mde...er-1.39.tar.gz
    >>>
    >>> How do I do it? Where is it supposed to go or will it automatically be
    >>> installed where it is suppoed to? Do I need to download it first to my
    >>> windows machine the upload it using ftp to a directory, then untar it
    >>> then make install?
    >>>
    >>> OR, (hopefully) there is an easy to get get and install this where it is
    >>> supposed to be installed using the OS which is CENTOS
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks for helping this poor newbie(me) out!

    >> TriAdmin,
    >>

    >> Download either with firefox on the server or with your browser on the
    >> windows machine.
    >>
    >> ftp to server if needed.
    >>
    >> tar xvzf Pycluster-1.39.tar.gz
    >>
    >> less INSTALL
    >>
    >> and follow instructions for Python.
    >>

    >> Kind regards,
    >>

    >> Jan Gerrit Kootstra

    > Many thanks Jan -
    >
    > - does it know where to install or will it stall in the directory I tar it?

    Usually they are installed in /usr/bin

    > - "less INSTALL" is a command or was I supposed to undersatnd what less
    > means?

    man less

    > Many thanks.

  5. Re: newbie needs to install software, please help

    TriAdmin wrote:
    > "Jan Gerrit Kootstra" wrote in message
    > news:7ca31$4884ece6$5039c0af$7663@news.chello.nl.. .
    >> TriAdmin wrote:
    >>> I want to install some software that are used in another package I am
    >>> using.
    >>>
    >>> this is the software I want to install:
    >>> http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mde...er-1.39.tar.gz
    >>>
    >>> How do I do it? Where is it supposed to go or will it automatically be
    >>> installed where it is suppoed to? Do I need to download it first to my
    >>> windows machine the upload it using ftp to a directory, then untar it
    >>> then make install?
    >>>
    >>> OR, (hopefully) there is an easy to get get and install this where it is
    >>> supposed to be installed using the OS which is CENTOS
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks for helping this poor newbie(me) out!

    >> TriAdmin,
    >>

    >> Download either with firefox on the server or with your browser on the
    >> windows machine.
    >>
    >> ftp to server if needed.
    >>
    >> tar xvzf Pycluster-1.39.tar.gz
    >>
    >> less INSTALL
    >>
    >> and follow instructions for Python.
    >>

    >> Kind regards,
    >>

    >> Jan Gerrit Kootstra

    > Many thanks Jan -
    >
    > - does it know where to install or will it stall in the directory I tar it?
    >
    > - "less INSTALL" is a command or was I supposed to undersatnd what less
    > means?
    >
    > Many thanks.

    And look, *FIRST*, to see if there's an RPM or SRPM available to work from.
    RedHat of all flavors have RPM software management: use it, or be vulnerable
    to manual installations blowing up critical system tools without warning.

    Writing an RPM from such a tarball is also not too difficult, and most of them
    can be sent to EPEL or RPMforge for inclusion in those public repositories.

+ Reply to Thread