Redhat certification - Redhat

This is a discussion on Redhat certification - Redhat ; On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup linux.redhat, in article , Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote: >Ahh. You're in one facility, not scattered around a county or a country. >I *wish* I could work in such a tight facility again. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: Redhat certification

    <4883CBAD.8030707@gmail.com>, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    >Ahh. You're in one facility, not scattered around a county or a country.
    >I *wish* I could work in such a tight facility again.

    There are five buildings in this facility, and seven more in Northern
    California that form this division. They're far enough apart that we
    have separate staff for each campus. Then there is corporate in New
    York, but our IP ranges are shared between facilities around the world.
    As long as we stay within the guidelines from corporate, we're pretty
    much master of all we survey.

    >I do like keeping a spare external USB DVD drive around: they're handy
    >at odd moments, such as duplicating bootable media or using it on a
    >system with one of those 'covers' on it that blocks the CD drive from
    >opening.

    Up until about 2002, we still had floppy drives in all systems, and
    that meant we carried Tomsrtbt (and similar for non-Linux) in the shirt
    pockets. However, corporate says... and that was basically the end of
    removable media drives on workstations, and that trickled down into our
    servers. The hardware types who do installs and repairs have what
    amount to be portable drives. We're very dependent on networking, so
    installs basically consist of popping the hood to inspect things and
    do an inventory, connecting a bootable CD, and doing a network install.
    As most of the working systems are not in space where it's convenient
    to work on, if the system can't be brought up from the console, it's
    at least temporarily replaced, and repaired in a shop area with the
    necessary support.

    Old guy

  2. Re: Redhat certification

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup linux.redhat, in article
    <71635$4883c3f6$d1d97aaa$29914@PRIMUS.CA>, Johnny Rebel wrote:

    > Moe Trin wrote:

    >> Looking at the delegated* files from AFRINIC, APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC
    >> and RIPE, the allocations and assignments of Class A, B, and C sized
    >> chunks is still marginally ahead of classless sized chunks (45502
    >> classful vs. 41771 classless as of five days ago), but part of that
    >> is because /24s are the most common (35367) delegation world wide.

    >Interesting - I would have figured classed addressing would have still
    >been way ahead.

    The old /8s and /16s that were assigned/allocated long ago still exist,
    and that accounts for a significant amount of address space. 73.0.0.0
    was the last /8 allocated (to comcast in 2005) and before that, you're
    back in 1991. /16s are more common - there's about 10000 of them and
    just under 1600 of those were allocated/assigned since 1/1/2000, but
    that's merely a reasonable chunk size that's not to hard to justify.
    See RFC2050, but also see RFC1917 for the other side of the coin. IPv4
    address space isn't unlimited, and this was recognized as far back as
    RFC1366 in 1992.

    >> Not sure which point you are commenting about. Our helpdesk is a
    >> position that 1) solves problems over the phone/net if immediately
    >> possible, and 2) assigns the rest to individuals who will go to the
    >> computer in question, and do what is needed.

    >I was responding to the 'rotating people in' to the Helpdesk. If that
    >happened to me, I would quit, plain and simple. I am an SA, not a
    >helpdesk person. It is like telling a brain surgeon to fix broken arms,
    >it just shouldn't be done.

    Obviously, you aren't the right person to be working for us. But that
    should not be a surprise, as there is no "one size fits all" positions.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2