Has anyone gotten 802.1x / WPA Supplicant working on Redhat or otherLinux?? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Has anyone gotten 802.1x / WPA Supplicant working on Redhat or otherLinux?? - Redhat ; I have not heard of anyone getting it to work. I have been trying to get it to work on a university network. Seems everyone in the EE and CS departments has tried and all failed using these instructions: Since ...

  1. Has anyone gotten 802.1x / WPA Supplicant working on Redhat or otherLinux??

    I have not heard of anyone getting it to work.

    I have been trying to get it to work on a university network.
    Seems everyone in the EE and CS departments has tried and all failed
    using these instructions:
    Since Mac is based on BSD, you would THINK it would work.

    Mac
    http://www.utpa.edu/helpdesk/tutoria...rial.asp?id=19

    Win XP
    http://www.utpa.edu/helpdesk/tutoria...rial.asp?id=26

    Vista
    http://www.utpa.edu/helpdesk/tutoria...rial.asp?id=21

    I am not in front of the box now, but mine card is based on the
    Atheros chipset.
    Airlink 101 who made a "Super G" card

  2. Re: Has anyone gotten 802.1x / WPA Supplicant working on Redhat orotherLinux??

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:27:15 -0700, Trent wrote:

    > I have not heard of anyone getting it to work.
    >

    > I have been trying to get it to work on a university network. Seems
    > everyone in the EE and CS departments has tried and all failed using
    > these instructions:
    > Since Mac is based on BSD, you would THINK it would work.
    >
    > Mac
    > http://www.utpa.edu/helpdesk/tutoria...rial.asp?id=19
    >
    > Win XP
    > http://www.utpa.edu/helpdesk/tutoria...rial.asp?id=26
    >
    > Vista
    > http://www.utpa.edu/helpdesk/tutoria...rial.asp?id=21
    >
    > I am not in front of the box now, but mine card is based on the Atheros
    > chipset.
    > Airlink 101 who made a "Super G" card

    The Atheros chipsets need the madwifi drivers (http://sourceforge.net/
    projects/madwifi/). Although I haven't set one up myself (my wireless is
    Broadcom based) the process to making wireless work should be about the
    same.

    Once you have the driver squared away, the easiest way to getting WPA
    Supplicant working is not to edit it directly at all. In Gnome there is a
    "Network Manager Applet" that can handle connecting to various wireless
    networks including WEP/WPA and it handles the WPA Supplicant business. I
    believe there is also an equivalent network manager in KDE but I don't
    have the exact name off hand.

    I have successfully used Network Manager to connect to WPA protected
    wireless networks in Fedora 7, 8, and 9.

    - NL

  3. Re: Has anyone gotten 802.1x / WPA Supplicant working on Redhat orother Linux??

    On Jul 11, 10:58*am, Netlurker wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:27:15 -0700, Trent wrote:
    > > I have not heard of anyone getting it to work.

    > > I have been trying to get it to work on a university network. Seems
    > > everyone in the EE and CS departments has tried and all failed using
    > > these instructions:
    > > Since Mac is based on BSD, you would THINK it would work.

    > > Mac
    > >http://www.utpa.edu/helpdesk/tutoria...rial.asp?id=19

    > > Win XP
    > >http://www.utpa.edu/helpdesk/tutoria...rial.asp?id=26

    > > Vista
    > >http://www.utpa.edu/helpdesk/tutoria...rial.asp?id=21

    > > I am not in front of the box now, but mine card is based on the Atheros
    > > chipset.
    > > Airlink 101 *who made a *"Super G" card

    > The Atheros chipsets need the madwifi drivers (http://sourceforge.net/
    > projects/madwifi/). *Although I haven't set one up myself (my wireless is
    > Broadcom based) the process to making wireless work should be about the
    > same. *
    >
    > Once you have the driver squared away, the easiest way to getting WPA
    > Supplicant working is not to edit it directly at all. *In Gnome there is a
    > "Network Manager Applet" that can handle connecting to various wireless
    > networks including WEP/WPA and it handles the WPA Supplicant business. *I
    > believe there is also an equivalent network manager in KDE but I don't
    > have the exact name off hand.
    >
    > I have successfully used Network Manager to connect to WPA protected
    > wireless networks in Fedora 7, 8, and 9.
    >
    > - NL- Hide quoted text -

    Yes, I have done all of that, but still it refuses to connect without
    error.

    However I do notice that I need to connect to a LEAP type of
    connection, while Mad Wifi only has PEAP. Unless I am using a older
    driver?

+ Reply to Thread