Fedora 9 display and adduser? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora 9 display and adduser? - Redhat ; I installed Fedora 9 on a different HD then the FD core 6 question. I'm using KDE only as my only X Windows. The first problem I have is the default resolution is 1350X768. I have changed it in root ...

  1. Fedora 9 display and adduser?

    I installed Fedora 9 on a different HD then the FD core 6 question. I'm
    using KDE only as my only X Windows. The first problem I have is the
    default resolution is 1350X768. I have changed it in root and in user
    mode and it keeps going back to 1350X768. I want 1024X768. There is an
    acccept, but no save button.
    The second question is how to add a user? I even tried adduser from the
    terminal mode and it won't work. Ideas please. Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: Fedora 9 display and adduser?

    I'd recommend editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf then restart X

    There is a gui to addusers in KDE.

    Jesse Benton wrote:
    > I installed Fedora 9 on a different HD then the FD core 6 question. I'm
    > using KDE only as my only X Windows. The first problem I have is the
    > default resolution is 1350X768. I have changed it in root and in user
    > mode and it keeps going back to 1350X768. I want 1024X768. There is an
    > acccept, but no save button.
    > The second question is how to add a user? I even tried adduser from
    > the terminal mode and it won't work. Ideas please. Thanks for any help.

  3. Re: Fedora 9 display and adduser?

    pavlos wrote:
    > I'd recommend editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf then restart X
    >
    > There is a gui to addusers in KDE.
    >

    > Jesse Benton wrote:
    >> I installed Fedora 9 on a different HD then the FD core 6 question.
    >> I'm using KDE only as my only X Windows. The first problem I have is
    >> the default resolution is 1350X768. I have changed it in root and in
    >> user mode and it keeps going back to 1350X768. I want 1024X768. There
    >> is an acccept, but no save button.
    >> The second question is how to add a user? I even tried adduser
    >> from the terminal mode and it won't work. Ideas please. Thanks for any
    >> help.

    Pavlos,
    First thanks for your response. When I tried editing xorg.conf my only
    choice was of depth. It was set at 24 show I change it to 16. This is my
    normal resolution of choice, as well as 1024X768. Now root's display
    goes black when I try to get the that GUI under System Tools. At least
    cntl alt shift backspace still works. I put it back to 24 and still no good.
    It says it was created by pyfx86config. I tried running that. Command
    not found. Then I went back to Xconfigurator and it said the same thing.
    Now I'm at a loss? Your bringing back the RedHat 4,5,7.2 and 7.3 days.
    Also in KDE I can find users, but no way to add one. Please tell me
    what I'm missing?

  4. Re: Fedora 9 display and adduser?

    Jesse Benton wrote:

    > Pavlos,
    > First thanks for your response. When I tried editing xorg.conf my
    > only choice was of depth. It was set at 24 show I change it to 16. This
    > is my normal resolution of choice, as well as 1024X768. Now root's
    > display goes black when I try to get the that GUI under System Tools. At
    > least cntl alt shift backspace still works. I put it back to 24 and
    > still no good.
    > It says it was created by pyfx86config. I tried running that.
    > Command not found. Then I went back to Xconfigurator and it said the
    > same thing. Now I'm at a loss? Your bringing back the RedHat 4,5,7.2 and
    > 7.3 days.
    > Also in KDE I can find users, but no way to add one. Please tell me
    > what I'm missing?

    Try adding
    Modes "1024x768"
    to the SubSection "Display". Then restart X.

    --
    Steve

  5. Re: Fedora 9 display and adduser?

    Steve Sentoff wrote:
    > Jesse Benton wrote:
    >
    >> Pavlos,
    >> First thanks for your response. When I tried editing xorg.conf my
    >> only choice was of depth. It was set at 24 show I change it to 16.
    >> This is my normal resolution of choice, as well as 1024X768. Now
    >> root's display goes black when I try to get the that GUI under System
    >> Tools. At least cntl alt shift backspace still works. I put it back to
    >> 24 and still no good.
    >> It says it was created by pyfx86config. I tried running that.
    >> Command not found. Then I went back to Xconfigurator and it said the
    >> same thing. Now I'm at a loss? Your bringing back the RedHat 4,5,7.2
    >> and 7.3 days.
    >> Also in KDE I can find users, but no way to add one. Please tell
    >> me what I'm missing?

    > Try adding
    > Modes "1024x768"
    > to the SubSection "Display". Then restart X.

    > Steve,

    Your idea made sense. But it caused me to use vim to get back to a GUI
    screen. I decided to reinstall everything and loaded GNOME this time.
    GNOME let's me change resolutions no problem but KDE won't. It also
    let's me addusers in. So now in Gnome I have 1024X768 and in KDE it is
    still 1360X768. I don't like looking at a squished screen.
    My son did the install. It took me forever to get the Chinese and
    Japanese stuff off. Any quick ideas on how be sure I got them all?

    Thanks for your help

    Jesse
    Here is my current xong.conf
    Section "ServerLayout"