Net connection problem - Redhat

This is a discussion on Net connection problem - Redhat ; I had an update of the kernel today among some other updates to make it up to date. It is on Fedora 8. I now have 2 very serious problems. 1- xscreensaver can no longer be stopped the normal way. ...

  1. Net connection problem

    I had an update of the kernel today among some other updates to make it up to date.
    It is on Fedora 8.

    I now have 2 very serious problems.

    1- xscreensaver can no longer be stopped the normal way.
    killall -9 xscreensaver is the only way. I changed it to gnome-screensaver
    which I hate to clear the problem. To say that I am not very happy with this
    is saying it mildly. There is also no way to get back to the previous kernel.
    The one I had before (2.6.25.4-10) is no longer entirely available at livna.
    To revert back to the previous stuff I need the ATI driver which are is not
    available for that version.
    If it is not the kernel the problem I wonder if anyone has had the same problem
    and is aware of a solution.

    2- The worst of the problems. I have no network connection unless I run startx.
    This means that if my xwindows interfaces becomes invalid I have no way to connect
    on the net. Anyone has a solution for that?

    I don't recall ever having that problem before. It looks like Fedora is getting
    more and more buggy. I always thought the software updates were to fix problems,
    not to screw up a system, this is not windows here.

    --
    Barack Obama for President http://www.barackobama.com/
    http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal

  2. Re: Net connection problem

    Le Fri, 04 Jul 2008 22:12:16 -0500, Michel Catudal a √©crit¬*:

    > 2- The worst of the problems. I have no network connection unless I run
    > startx.

    I solved the problem by uninstalling the network manager crap. It wanted
    to uninstal some useless program (evolution) which I never use. I tried it
    once and it reminded me too much of windows so I disabled it. On SuSE it always
    wanted to uninstal other stuff so I never bothered uninstalling it. I was
    pleased to note that on Fedora you can remove this crapware without uninstalling
    most of gnome. This is a good improvement.

    This network manager may have a purpose when running on laptops but for
    a regular PC it is seen as a trojan that disables internet access on the
    command line. I was puzzled not to have internet access since as it boots
    I saw that it recognized the router and filled resolv.conf with valid
    information. Even disabling it in the services didn't do anything. I could
    only get internet access after I ran startx.
    The bug only got fixed after I uninstalled that trojan.

    I think that this is rather stupid to search for a best connection when it
    is told from the start that it only has one, it is comcast and if comcast
    goes out there is no point trying anything else since it is the only thing
    available in the house.

    On my wife's computer it keeps disconnecting the ethernet. I have both SuSE
    10.0 and fedora 8 on her computer. I have no issue with the ethernet connection
    whatsoever on SuSE 10. I hope that what I found on my computer can fix the
    issue on hers and her firefox 3 keeps going in the offline mode.
    She doesn't use evolution either so removing it is just doing some cleanup.

    --
    Barack Obama for President http://www.barackobama.com/
    http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal
    We are the Cybernetic Entomology Experts

+ Reply to Thread