Installation problem - Redhat

This is a discussion on Installation problem - Redhat ; Hi, I am trying to install Red Hat Enterprise Linux v5.2. I am installing on a Lenovo computer, Intel E2160 CPU, 4GB RAM, 250GB disk. The installation went fine. When I try to boot the system, it starts, but then ...

  1. Installation problem

    Hi,

    I am trying to install Red Hat Enterprise Linux v5.2.

    I am installing on a Lenovo computer, Intel E2160 CPU, 4GB RAM, 250GB
    disk.

    The installation went fine.

    When I try to boot the system, it starts, but then goes into a reboot
    loop.

    How can I find out what the problem is?

    Gadi

  2. Re: Installation problem

    Hi Gadi.
    So you're saying that you never got it booted even once after install?
    You didn't change anything?
    It would be helpful to know how far it gets in the boot process..?
    What (if any) error messages can you catch before it reboots?

    Without that info, all I can say is for you to try booting into
    different runlevels and see what happens.
    When GRUB (first red screen) comes up, press any key and then press
    'a' [to append an argument to the kernel boot line]. Assuming you set
    this machine up with X (the default, means it goes into runlevel5) you
    could try adding a '3' (no quotes & w/ a space before it) to see if
    anything happens differently--it won't load X or any services not set
    to load in runlevel 3..might bring you to a command prompt. If you're
    still crashing out into a reboot, try putting a 1 instead. If that
    doesn't help, try 's' which won't load any of the init.d scripts. If
    you get a command-line, type: 'grep id /etc/inittab' ......and report
    back the # in the output. I can't imagine how this could've been
    changed, but I suppose it doesn't hurt: 'grep :wait /etc/inittab' and
    then make sure the three numbers on each line correspond to each other
    and proceed consecutively (0 first line,1 second line, etc). In case
    you didn't know, if you're at a command prompt and want to shutdown or
    reboot, use 'init 0' or 'init 6' respectively.

    Ryan Sawhill

    On Jul 2, 1:00 am, gadi.ben....@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to install Red Hat Enterprise Linux v5.2.
    >
    > I am installing on a Lenovo computer, Intel E2160 CPU, 4GB RAM, 250GB
    > disk.
    >
    > The installation went fine.
    >
    > When I try to boot the system, it starts, but then goes into a reboot
    > loop.
    >
    > How can I find out what the problem is?
    >
    > Gadi

  3. Re: Installation problem

    Hi Ryan,

    I started Linux in runlevel 3 and it started fine.
    I then did an init 5 command and the X system started.

    I then rebooted. I saw that grub gives me two options for booting.
    The default says:
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-92.el5xen)

    The other option is:
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-92.el5PAE)

    If I select the other options, linux boots just fine.

    How can I make the other options the default?

    TIA

    Gadi

    On Jul 3, 4:07*am, ryran wrote:
    > Hi Gadi.
    > So you're saying that you never got it booted even once after install?
    > You didn't change anything?
    > It would be helpful to know how far it gets in the boot process..?
    > What (if any) error messages can you catch before it reboots?
    >
    > Without that info, all I can say is for you to try booting into
    > different runlevels and see what happens.
    > When GRUB (first red screen) comes up, press any key and then press
    > 'a' [to append an argument to the kernel boot line]. Assuming you set
    > this machine up with X (the default, means it goes into runlevel5) you
    > could try adding a '3' (no quotes & w/ a space before it) to see if
    > anything happens differently--it won't load X or any services not set
    > to load in runlevel 3..might bring you to a command prompt. If you're
    > still crashing out into a reboot, try putting a 1 instead. If that
    > doesn't help, try 's' which won't load any of the init.d scripts. If
    > you get a command-line, type: 'grep id /etc/inittab' ......and report
    > back the # in the output. I can't imagine how this could've been
    > changed, but I suppose it doesn't hurt: 'grep :wait /etc/inittab' and
    > then make sure the three numbers on each line correspond to each other
    > and proceed consecutively (0 first line,1 second line, etc). In case
    > you didn't know, if you're at a command prompt and want to shutdown or
    > reboot, use 'init 0' or 'init 6' respectively.
    >
    > Ryan Sawhill
    >
    > On Jul 2, 1:00 am, gadi.ben....@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > Hi,

    > > I am trying to install Red Hat Enterprise Linux v5.2.

    > > I am installing on a Lenovo computer, Intel E2160 CPU, 4GB RAM, 250GB
    > > disk.

    > > The installation went fine.

    > > When I try to boot the system, it starts, but then goes into a reboot
    > > loop.

    > > How can I find out what the problem is?

    > > Gadi- Hide quoted text -

  4. Re: Installation problem

    gadi.ben.avi@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Ryan,
    >
    > I started Linux in runlevel 3 and it started fine.
    > I then did an init 5 command and the X system started.
    >
    > I then rebooted. I saw that grub gives me two options for booting.
    > The default says:
    > Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-92.el5xen)
    >
    > The other option is:
    > Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-92.el5PAE)
    >
    > If I select the other options, linux boots just fine.
    >
    > How can I make the other options the default?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Gadi

    Start the editor you like for /etc/grub.conf

    Approximately 10 or so lines from the top is one that starts:

    default=X

    Where "X" equals the stanza to start. Stanzas begin with "title".

    Have your editor change "X" to the stanza you would like your
    system to start with.

    Just beneath default=X is timeout=Y where "Y" is a delay in seconds.

    If "Y" is changed to something comfortable, say 10, you have 10 seconds
    to hit something like the enter key, when you first see the RHEL 5
    splash screen. After that, you can manually select the next code to
    be executed, else at the end of the "Y" second timer, the system will
    attempt to start at the stanza pointed at by "X".

    Best wishes.

    --
    1PW

    @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

  5. Re: Installation problem

    Thanx,

    Worked like a charm.

    Gadi
    "1PW" wrote in message
    > gadi.ben.avi@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hi Ryan,
    >>
    >> I started Linux in runlevel 3 and it started fine.
    >> I then did an init 5 command and the X system started.
    >>
    >> I then rebooted. I saw that grub gives me two options for booting.
    >> The default says:
    >> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-92.el5xen)
    >>
    >> The other option is:
    >> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-92.el5PAE)
    >>
    >> If I select the other options, linux boots just fine.
    >>
    >> How can I make the other options the default?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Gadi
    >>

    > Start the editor you like for /etc/grub.conf
    >
    > Approximately 10 or so lines from the top is one that starts:
    >
    > default=X
    >
    > Where "X" equals the stanza to start. Stanzas begin with "title".
    >
    > Have your editor change "X" to the stanza you would like your
    > system to start with.
    >
    > Just beneath default=X is timeout=Y where "Y" is a delay in seconds.
    >
    > If "Y" is changed to something comfortable, say 10, you have 10 seconds
    > to hit something like the enter key, when you first see the RHEL 5
    > splash screen. After that, you can manually select the next code to
    > be executed, else at the end of the "Y" second timer, the system will
    > attempt to start at the stanza pointed at by "X".
    >
    > Best wishes.
    >
    > --
    > 1PW
    >
    > @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

  6. Re: Installation problem

    1PW wrote:
    > gadi.ben.avi@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hi Ryan,
    >>
    >> I started Linux in runlevel 3 and it started fine.
    >> I then did an init 5 command and the X system started.
    >>
    >> I then rebooted. I saw that grub gives me two options for booting.
    >> The default says:
    >> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-92.el5xen)
    >>
    >> The other option is:
    >> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-92.el5PAE)
    >>
    >> If I select the other options, linux boots just fine.
    >>
    >> How can I make the other options the default?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Gadi
    >>

    > Start the editor you like for /etc/grub.conf
    >
    > Approximately 10 or so lines from the top is one that starts:
    >
    > default=X
    >
    > Where "X" equals the stanza to start. Stanzas begin with "title".
    >
    > Have your editor change "X" to the stanza you would like your
    > system to start with.
    >
    > Just beneath default=X is timeout=Y where "Y" is a delay in seconds.
    >
    > If "Y" is changed to something comfortable, say 10, you have 10 seconds
    > to hit something like the enter key, when you first see the RHEL 5
    > splash screen. After that, you can manually select the next code to
    > be executed, else at the end of the "Y" second timer, the system will
    > attempt to start at the stanza pointed at by "X".
    >
    > Best wishes.

    Or delete the Xen kernels. Unless you're doing Xen virtualization on that
    laptop as a server, don't install such a kernel. And if you are, be aware that
    Xen kernels are much more difficult to keep integrated with the latest
    hardware, and you may want to jump to a much more leading edge platform, such
    as Fedora.

+ Reply to Thread