I have noticed having and have red others having an unusual number of yum
problems.

It started for me with release 8 with the mix of 32 and 64 bit packages,
libraries and who knows what else.

When I upgraded to 9 some problems ended but new ones appeared.

After noticing that all I found after a reasonable search that all the apps
appeared to be 64 I took a flyer and did a fresh install last night.

I can't swear to anything this soon but overnight I did
# yum -y upgrade and in the morning it all went without a problem but that
happened on the 9 upgrade also.

If I forget to post again in a week someone ask if it did solve the problem.

--
It is said just before you die your life flashes before your eyes.
What if this is the flash?