Redhat upgrade problems -- commentary - Redhat

This is a discussion on Redhat upgrade problems -- commentary - Redhat ; I have noticed having and have red others having an unusual number of yum problems. It started for me with release 8 with the mix of 32 and 64 bit packages, libraries and who knows what else. When I upgraded ...

  1. Redhat upgrade problems -- commentary

    I have noticed having and have red others having an unusual number of yum
    problems.

    It started for me with release 8 with the mix of 32 and 64 bit packages,
    libraries and who knows what else.

    When I upgraded to 9 some problems ended but new ones appeared.

    After noticing that all I found after a reasonable search that all the apps
    appeared to be 64 I took a flyer and did a fresh install last night.

    I can't swear to anything this soon but overnight I did
    # yum -y upgrade and in the morning it all went without a problem but that
    happened on the 9 upgrade also.

    If I forget to post again in a week someone ask if it did solve the problem.

    --
    It is said just before you die your life flashes before your eyes.
    What if this is the flash?

  2. Re: Redhat upgrade problems -- commentary

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > I have noticed having and have red others having an unusual number of yum
    > problems.
    >
    > It started for me with release 8 with the mix of 32 and 64 bit packages,
    > libraries and who knows what else.

    What are you talking about. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is only up to RHEL 5.2
    and I have no update problems with that.

    Red Hat Linux was discontinued some years ago at RHL 9.

    > When I upgraded to 9 some problems ended but new ones appeared.
    >
    > After noticing that all I found after a reasonable search that all the apps
    > appeared to be 64 I took a flyer and did a fresh install last night.
    >
    > I can't swear to anything this soon but overnight I did
    > # yum -y upgrade and in the morning it all went without a problem but that
    > happened on the 9 upgrade also.

    I never specifically run yum or anything, since Red Hat does this automatically.

    > If I forget to post again in a week someone ask if it did solve the problem.

    ^^-^^ 21:45:01 up 7:05, 4 users, load average: 4.11, 4.26, 4.27

  3. Re: Redhat upgrade problems -- commentary

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > I have noticed having and have red others having an unusual number of yum
    > problems.
    >
    > It started for me with release 8 with the mix of 32 and 64 bit packages,
    > libraries and who knows what else.

    What are you talking about. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is only up to RHEL 5.2
    and I have no update problems with that.

    Red Hat Linux was discontinued some years ago at RHL 9.

    > When I upgraded to 9 some problems ended but new ones appeared.
    >
    > After noticing that all I found after a reasonable search that all the apps
    > appeared to be 64 I took a flyer and did a fresh install last night.
    >
    > I can't swear to anything this soon but overnight I did
    > # yum -y upgrade and in the morning it all went without a problem but that
    > happened on the 9 upgrade also.

    I never specifically run yum or anything, since Red Hat does this automatically.

    > If I forget to post again in a week someone ask if it did solve the problem.

    ^^-^^ 21:45:01 up 7:05, 4 users, load average: 4.11, 4.26, 4.27

  4. Re: Redhat upgrade problems -- commentary

    On 26 Jun, 02:48, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > Matt Giwer wrote:
    > > * *I have noticed having and have red others having an unusual number of yum
    > > problems.

    > > * *It started for me with release 8 with the mix of 32 and 64 bit packages,
    > > libraries and who knows what else.

    > What are you talking about. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is only up to RHEL 5..2
    > and I have no update problems with that.
    >
    > Red Hat Linux was discontinued some years ago at RHL 9.

    He's talking about Fedora, not RHEL.

  5. Re: Redhat upgrade problems -- commentary

    On 26 Jun, 02:48, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > Matt Giwer wrote:
    > > * *I have noticed having and have red others having an unusual number of yum
    > > problems.

    > > * *It started for me with release 8 with the mix of 32 and 64 bit packages,
    > > libraries and who knows what else.

    > What are you talking about. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is only up to RHEL 5..2
    > and I have no update problems with that.
    >
    > Red Hat Linux was discontinued some years ago at RHL 9.

    He's talking about Fedora, not RHEL.

  6. Re: Redhat upgrade problems -- commentary

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > On 26 Jun, 02:48, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >> Matt Giwer wrote:
    >>> I have noticed having and have red others having an unusual number of yum
    >>> problems.
    >>> It started for me with release 8 with the mix of 32 and 64 bit packages,
    >>> libraries and who knows what else.

    >> What are you talking about. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is only up to RHEL 5.2
    >> and I have no update problems with that.
    >>
    >> Red Hat Linux was discontinued some years ago at RHL 9.

    > He's talking about Fedora, not RHEL.

    Should have said Fedora instead of Red Hat, then.

    ^^-^^ 17:35:01 up 1 day, 2:55, 3 users, load average: 4.09, 4.15, 4.15

  7. Re: Redhat upgrade problems -- commentary

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > On 26 Jun, 02:48, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >> Matt Giwer wrote:
    >>> I have noticed having and have red others having an unusual number of yum
    >>> problems.
    >>> It started for me with release 8 with the mix of 32 and 64 bit packages,
    >>> libraries and who knows what else.

    >> What are you talking about. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is only up to RHEL 5.2
    >> and I have no update problems with that.
    >>
    >> Red Hat Linux was discontinued some years ago at RHL 9.

    > He's talking about Fedora, not RHEL.

    Should have said Fedora instead of Red Hat, then.

    ^^-^^ 17:35:01 up 1 day, 2:55, 3 users, load average: 4.09, 4.15, 4.15

  8. Re: Redhat upgrade problems -- commentary

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:37:35 -0400, Matt Giwer wrote:

    > I have noticed having and have red others having an unusual number of
    > yum problems.
    >
    > It started for me with release 8 with the mix of 32 and 64 bit
    > packages,
    > libraries and who knows what else.
    >
    > When I upgraded to 9 some problems ended but new ones appeared.
    >
    > After noticing that all I found after a reasonable search that

    all the
    > apps
    > appeared to be 64 I took a flyer and did a fresh install last night.
    >
    > I can't swear to anything this soon but overnight I did
    > # yum -y upgrade and in the morning it all went without a problem but
    > that happened on the 9 upgrade also.
    >
    > If I forget to post again in a week someone ask if it did solve

    the
    > problem.

    Fedora upgrades have always been problematic, even ordinary updates break
    every now and then. I always do clean installs to a different partition
    so that I still have my working version in place. With Fedora you want to
    keep testing the waters before you decide to jump into in new version. By
    keeping the older version in place you can keep going back until you are
    happy with the newer version.

    CentOS is a different story, upgrades will just work. However a RHEL/
    CentOS upgrade is really just an update, it's not an true upgrade because
    all of the components are just bug fixed version of the older components.
    Each revision of Fedora is a major departure from the previous version so
    you can't really expect an upgrade to work.

  9. Re: Redhat upgrade problems -- commentary

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:37:35 -0400, Matt Giwer wrote:

    > I have noticed having and have red others having an unusual number of
    > yum problems.
    >
    > It started for me with release 8 with the mix of 32 and 64 bit
    > packages,
    > libraries and who knows what else.
    >
    > When I upgraded to 9 some problems ended but new ones appeared.
    >
    > After noticing that all I found after a reasonable search that

    all the
    > apps
    > appeared to be 64 I took a flyer and did a fresh install last night.
    >
    > I can't swear to anything this soon but overnight I did
    > # yum -y upgrade and in the morning it all went without a problem but
    > that happened on the 9 upgrade also.
    >
    > If I forget to post again in a week someone ask if it did solve

    the
    > problem.

    Fedora upgrades have always been problematic, even ordinary updates break
    every now and then. I always do clean installs to a different partition
    so that I still have my working version in place. With Fedora you want to
    keep testing the waters before you decide to jump into in new version. By
    keeping the older version in place you can keep going back until you are
    happy with the newer version.

    CentOS is a different story, upgrades will just work. However a RHEL/
    CentOS upgrade is really just an update, it's not an true upgrade because
    all of the components are just bug fixed version of the older components.
    Each revision of Fedora is a major departure from the previous version so
    you can't really expect an upgrade to work.

  10. Re: Redhat upgrade problems -- commentary

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    --
    If the country had known in 1996 that Hilary was really running the White
    House Bill would not have been re-elected.
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >>> What are you talking about. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is only up to RHEL 5.2
    >>> and I have no update problems with that.
    >>>
    >>> Red Hat Linux was discontinued some years ago at RHL 9.

    >> He's talking about Fedora, not RHEL.

    > Should have said Fedora instead of Red Hat, then.

    The release numbers in addition to 32 and 64 bit mentions should have made it
    obvious it was the only thing I could have been talking about.

    --
    If the country had known in 1996 that Hilary was really running the White
    House Bill would not have been re-elected.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 4026
    http://www.giwersworld.org/israel/bombings.phtml a5

  11. Re: Redhat upgrade problems -- commentary

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    --
    If the country had known in 1996 that Hilary was really running the White
    House Bill would not have been re-elected.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 4026
    http://www.giwersworld.org/israel/bombings.phtml a5
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >>> What are you talking about. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is only up to RHEL 5.2
    >>> and I have no update problems with that.
    >>>
    >>> Red Hat Linux was discontinued some years ago at RHL 9.

    >> He's talking about Fedora, not RHEL.

    > Should have said Fedora instead of Red Hat, then.

    The release numbers in addition to 32 and 64 bit mentions should have made it
    obvious it was the only thing I could have been talking about.

    --
    If the country had known in 1996 that Hilary was really running the White
    House Bill would not have been re-elected.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 4026
    http://www.giwersworld.org/israel/bombings.phtml a5

  12. Re: Redhat upgrade problems -- commentary ++ 1

    Matt Giwer wrote:

    After watching yum perform flawlessly many times have gotten use to including
    -y so I can let it do its thing and forget it.

    So I was about to restore flash from the adobe repository and caught it
    adding lots of i386 libraries including the pango that was one of my first
    conflict problems. ^C several times worked.

    So now I know not to -y when using other than Redhat repositories.

    --
    It helps to remember that half of Congress are not crooks.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 4028

  13. Re: Redhat upgrade problems -- commentary ++ 1

    Matt Giwer wrote:

    After watching yum perform flawlessly many times have gotten use to including
    -y so I can let it do its thing and forget it.

    So I was about to restore flash from the adobe repository and caught it
    adding lots of i386 libraries including the pango that was one of my first
    conflict problems. ^C several times worked.

    So now I know not to -y when using other than Redhat repositories.

    --
    It helps to remember that half of Congress are not crooks.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 4028
    t the voters in a democracy equally responsible for all the
    actions of their government?
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 4025
    http://www.giwersworld.org/holo/nizgas3.html a4
    http://www.haaretz.com What is Israel really like? http://www.jpost.com a7