How can I get USB port to work? - Redhat

This is a discussion on How can I get USB port to work? - Redhat ; I tried to get Epson 750 printer to work on USB port after not being able to get a memory stick to work and found the USB ports dont seem to work properly. The printer is recognised in the definition ...

  1. How can I get USB port to work?

    I tried to get Epson 750 printer to work on USB port after not being able
    to get a memory stick to work and found the USB ports dont seem to work
    properly.

    The printer is recognised in the definition files and even the mount identifies
    it correctly ( I did tail -f /var/log/messages )

    But any attempt to use it in KDE just says it cant find the "server" or server
    isnt running and it locks up KDE desktop permanently.

    The print services are running as is haldaemon and I have tried enabling the
    "legacy" print server. All to no effect.

    I am able to change the "sharing" option in the printer setup window on KDE
    but any other change again locks up the desktop permanently. A hard reset
    is needed. The same lockup occurrs if I try the test printer option.

    I believe this is a USB issue as my ramstick also has problems -

    The machine is a dual boot Windows-ME system and the PC prints fine on its USB
    port in windows so that rules out a hardware issue. The ramstick also works in
    windows

    I am able to change anything to test it - the machine is not networked and has
    no firewall installed.

    It does not have SElinux enabled.

    Can anyone help please - I really need the USB port to be reliable for
    transfering USB ramstick data,

    Nadia

  2. Re: How can I get USB port to work?

    nadia wrote:
    > I tried to get Epson 750 printer to work on USB port after not being able
    > to get a memory stick to work and found the USB ports dont seem to work
    > properly.
    >
    > The printer is recognised in the definition files and even the mount identifies
    > it correctly ( I did tail -f /var/log/messages )
    >
    > But any attempt to use it in KDE just says it cant find the "server" or server
    > isnt running and it locks up KDE desktop permanently.
    >
    > The print services are running as is haldaemon and I have tried enabling the
    > "legacy" print server. All to no effect.
    >
    > I am able to change the "sharing" option in the printer setup window on KDE
    > but any other change again locks up the desktop permanently. A hard reset
    > is needed. The same lockup occurrs if I try the test printer option.
    >
    > I believe this is a USB issue as my ramstick also has problems -
    >
    > The machine is a dual boot Windows-ME system and the PC prints fine on its USB
    > port in windows so that rules out a hardware issue. The ramstick also works in
    > windows
    >
    > I am able to change anything to test it - the machine is not networked and has
    > no firewall installed.
    >
    > It does not have SElinux enabled.
    >
    > Can anyone help please - I really need the USB port to be reliable for
    > transfering USB ramstick data,
    >
    > Nadia

    Nadia,

    Which distribution are we talking about? Fedora, RHEL or any other distro?

    Please state distro and version.

    Are you using USB or USB2?

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: How can I get USB port to work?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:43:37 +0200, Jan Gerrit Kootstra
    wrote:

    >Which distribution are we talking about? Fedora, RHEL or any other distro?
    >
    >Please state distro and version.
    >
    >Are you using USB or USB2?
    >

    >Kind regards,
    >

    >Jan Gerrit Kootstra

    Thanks for the response Jan.

    I'm away from the office for 7-10 days and can't remember the exact release
    version. I'll try and get someone to info it to me.

    The kernel is about 3 years old I think (I didnt install this myself it was on
    when I came to it and I'm just trying to help out )

    I get the same problem with USB 1 or 2

    The irritating thing is it correctly identifies the devices - both the printer
    and ram stick and all their parameters. It just seems to refuse to pass data
    about ... I did at one point get a partial read off the ram stick but then the
    OS locked up again right after.

    An old chinese proverb springs to mind... you can guess which one I expect !
    Ill give more info when I have it - any suggestions welcome in the mean time.

    Nadia

+ Reply to Thread