Add GUI to Server - Redhat

This is a discussion on Add GUI to Server - Redhat ; Hello Group; I installed CentOS 4.6 in text mode on my HP dual processor server. I'd like to use yum to install all the needed GUI stuff so I can use gnome if I want to. I've tried using yum ...

  1. Add GUI to Server

    Hello Group;
    I installed CentOS 4.6 in text mode on my HP dual processor server. I'd
    like to use yum to install all the needed GUI stuff so I can use gnome if I
    want to.
    I've tried using yum to add gnome, but I still can't use the command
    "startx" and get a GUI.
    What do I have to do to get a GUI (gnome) on my server?
    Thanks
    doug in milwaukee

  2. Re: Add GUI to Server

    "Doug Holtz" writes:

    > Hello Group;
    > I installed CentOS 4.6 in text mode on my HP dual processor server. I'd
    > like to use yum to install all the needed GUI stuff so I can use gnome if I
    > want to.
    > I've tried using yum to add gnome, but I still can't use the command
    > "startx" and get a GUI.
    > What do I have to do to get a GUI (gnome) on my server?

    Please supply details.

    When you tried to add gnome, what did you type, what happened?
    When you tried startx, what happened?

  3. Re: Add GUI to Server

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 07:12:34 -0500, Doug Holtz typed this message:

    > Hello Group;
    > I installed CentOS 4.6 in text mode on my HP dual processor server. I'd
    > like to use yum to install all the needed GUI stuff so I can use gnome
    > if I want to.
    > I've tried using yum to add gnome, but I still can't use the command
    > "startx" and get a GUI.
    > What do I have to do to get a GUI (gnome) on my server? Thanks
    > doug in milwaukee

    Did you install X11?

  4. Re: Add GUI to Server

    "Dan Espen" wrote in message
    > "Doug Holtz" writes:
    >
    >> Hello Group;
    >> I installed CentOS 4.6 in text mode on my HP dual processor server. I'd
    >> like to use yum to install all the needed GUI stuff so I can use gnome if
    >> want to.
    >> I've tried using yum to add gnome, but I still can't use the command
    >> "startx" and get a GUI.
    >> What do I have to do to get a GUI (gnome) on my server?

    > Please supply details.
    >
    > When you tried to add gnome, what did you type, what happened?
    > When you tried startx, what happened?

    Dan;

    There is no "startx" command in the X11 directory.

    There IS a gnome directory. I must have installed it with yum a while ago.
    I don't want to "start all over" if I don't have to.

    Any ideas?

    It has to be able to be done.

    TNX

    doug

  5. Re: Add GUI to Server

    "Doug Holtz" writes:

    > "Dan Espen" wrote in message
    >> "Doug Holtz" writes:
    >>
    >>> Hello Group;
    >>> I installed CentOS 4.6 in text mode on my HP dual processor server. I'd
    >>> like to use yum to install all the needed GUI stuff so I can use gnome if
    >>> want to.
    >>> I've tried using yum to add gnome, but I still can't use the command
    >>> "startx" and get a GUI.
    >>> What do I have to do to get a GUI (gnome) on my server?

    >> Please supply details.
    >>
    >> When you tried to add gnome, what did you type, what happened?
    >> When you tried startx, what happened?
    >>

    > Dan;
    >
    > There is no "startx" command in the X11 directory.
    >
    > There IS a gnome directory. I must have installed it with yum a while ago.
    > I don't want to "start all over" if I don't have to.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > It has to be able to be done.

    Of course it can be done.

    But technically, you didn't answer EITHER question I asked.

    There isn't supposed to be a startx command in the X11 directory.

    On my system, startx is in /usr/bin.

    I'm going to GUESS that it isn't there either.

    I'm also going to GUESS that you typed in:

    yum install gnome

    which will fail because "gnome" isn't the right package name.
    (Not that I know off hand what the right name is.)

    One thing you can do is install any common X11
    app, like xterm and that will cause the rest of X to be installed.
    For example:

    yum install xterm

    That should get you as far as the startx command.

  6. Re: Add GUI to Server

    "Dan Espen" wrote in message
    > "Doug Holtz" writes:
    >
    >> "Dan Espen" wrote in message

    >>> Please supply details.
    >>>
    >>> When you tried to add gnome, what did you type, what happened?
    >>> When you tried startx, what happened?
    >>>

    >> Dan;
    >>
    >> There is no "startx" command in the X11 directory.
    >>
    >> There IS a gnome directory. I must have installed it with yum a while
    >> ago.
    >> I don't want to "start all over" if I don't have to.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> It has to be able to be done.

    > Of course it can be done.
    >
    > But technically, you didn't answer EITHER question I asked.
    >
    > There isn't supposed to be a startx command in the X11 directory.
    >
    > On my system, startx is in /usr/bin.
    >
    > I'm going to GUESS that it isn't there either.
    >
    > I'm also going to GUESS that you typed in:
    >
    > yum install gnome
    >
    > which will fail because "gnome" isn't the right package name.
    > (Not that I know off hand what the right name is.)
    >
    > One thing you can do is install any common X11
    > app, like xterm and that will cause the rest of X to be installed.
    > For example:
    >
    > yum install xterm
    >
    > That should get you as far as the startx command.

    Dan;

    Yes, I did not answer exactly. It's because I have 2 servers running the
    same web site, and I pulled the newer server into production and can't
    remember what I did.

    I think I installed gnome with yum.

    There is no startx on the machine. There is an X11 directory; it doesn't
    seem complete. I installed xterm via yum. In the X11 directory is a
    flashing red X next to xorg.conf and I don't know what that means.

    If you can think of something, please pass it on.

    tnx

    doug

  7. Re: Add GUI to Server

    "noi ance" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 07:12:34 -0500, Doug Holtz typed this message:
    >
    >> Hello Group;
    >> I installed CentOS 4.6 in text mode on my HP dual processor server. I'd
    >> like to use yum to install all the needed GUI stuff so I can use gnome
    >> if I want to.
    >> I've tried using yum to add gnome, but I still can't use the command
    >> "startx" and get a GUI.
    >> What do I have to do to get a GUI (gnome) on my server? Thanks
    >> doug in milwaukee

    > Did you install X11?

    noi;

    nice name.

    I tried yum X11 and no packages came up. I did yum xterm and the xterm
    package did install. I don't have a startx command on the machine.

    doug

  8. Re: Add GUI to Server

    "Dan Espen" wrote in message
    > "Doug Holtz" writes:
    >
    >> "Dan Espen" wrote in message

    >>> Please supply details.
    >>>
    >>> When you tried to add gnome, what did you type, what happened?
    >>> When you tried startx, what happened?
    >>>

    >> Dan;
    >>
    >> There is no "startx" command in the X11 directory.
    >>
    >> There IS a gnome directory. I must have installed it with yum a while
    >> ago.
    >> I don't want to "start all over" if I don't have to.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> It has to be able to be done.

    > Of course it can be done.
    >
    > But technically, you didn't answer EITHER question I asked.
    >
    > There isn't supposed to be a startx command in the X11 directory.
    >
    > On my system, startx is in /usr/bin.
    >
    > I'm going to GUESS that it isn't there either.
    >
    > I'm also going to GUESS that you typed in:
    >
    > yum install gnome
    >
    > which will fail because "gnome" isn't the right package name.
    > (Not that I know off hand what the right name is.)
    >
    > One thing you can do is install any common X11
    > app, like xterm and that will cause the rest of X to be installed.
    > For example:
    >
    > yum install xterm
    >
    > That should get you as far as the startx command.

    I ran yum list all and see that gnome is not all installed. It looks like I
    need to install xorg-x11. may as well try.

    doug

  9. Re: Add GUI to Server

    "Doug Holtz" writes:

    > "Dan Espen" wrote in message
    >> "Doug Holtz" writes:
    >>
    >>> "Dan Espen" wrote in message

    > I ran yum list all and see that gnome is not all installed. It looks like I
    > need to install xorg-x11. may as well try.

    If that doesn't help, you might want to try "yumex".

    yum install yumex

    That will give you a GUI version of yum.
    Then in the GUI you can select a "Group View".
    Under "Desktop Environments" you'll see Gnome.

  10. Re: Add GUI to Server

    "Dan Espen" wrote in message
    > "Doug Holtz" writes:
    >
    >> "Dan Espen" wrote in message

    >> I ran yum list all and see that gnome is not all installed. It looks
    >> like I
    >> need to install xorg-x11. may as well try.

    > If that doesn't help, you might want to try "yumex".
    >
    > yum install yumex
    >
    > That will give you a GUI version of yum.
    > Then in the GUI you can select a "Group View".
    > Under "Desktop Environments" you'll see Gnome.

    Thanks Dan;

    yumex wouldn't come up because of some files that were missing.

    I put a question on the centos support board. I have groups that I can
    install, but something is wrong with the names (there are spaces in the
    group names). Maybe I'll substitute the ? for the space and see if that
    trick works, but for now no GUI.

    doug

  11. Re: Add GUI to Server

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 07:03:57 -0500, Doug Holtz typed this message:

    > "noi ance" wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 07:12:34 -0500, Doug Holtz typed this message:
    >>
    >>> Hello Group;
    >>> I installed CentOS 4.6 in text mode on my HP dual processor server.
    >>> I'd like to use yum to install all the needed GUI stuff so I can use
    >>> gnome if I want to.
    >>> I've tried using yum to add gnome, but I still can't use the command
    >>> "startx" and get a GUI.
    >>> What do I have to do to get a GUI (gnome) on my server? Thanks doug in
    >>> milwaukee

    >> Did you install X11?

    > noi;
    >
    > nice name.
    >
    > I tried yum X11 and no packages came up. I did yum xterm and the xterm
    > package did install. I don't have a startx command on the machine.
    >
    > doug

    http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=50

    Requested by donavan [donavan] and Answered by Johnny Hughes [hughesjr] on
    03-Apr-2006 18:33 (30559 reads)

    Can I add X to my server after install? or I installed from the Server ISO
    and it didn't install X, how do I install X?

    The easiest way to install X (and a GUI system) is to use the yum
    groupinstall feature.

    First you can see all the yum groups available with the command:

    yum grouplist

    You can install X and Gnome or KDE like this:

    yum groupinstall "X Window System" "GNOME Desktop Environment"

    or

    yum groupinstall "X Window System" "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

    You may also want to add some other groups from the list like "Graphical
    Internet" or "Office/Productivity"

  12. Re: Add GUI to Server

    "noi ance" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 07:03:57 -0500, Doug Holtz typed this message:
    >
    >> "noi ance" wrote in message
    >>> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 07:12:34 -0500, Doug Holtz typed this message:

    >>> Did you install X11?

    >> noi;
    >>
    >> nice name.
    >>
    >> I tried yum X11 and no packages came up. I did yum xterm and the xterm
    >> package did install. I don't have a startx command on the machine.
    >>
    >> doug

    > http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=50
    >
    > Requested by donavan [donavan] and Answered by Johnny Hughes [hughesjr] on
    > 03-Apr-2006 18:33 (30559 reads)
    >

    > Can I add X to my server after install? or I installed from the Server ISO
    > and it didn't install X, how do I install X?
    >
    > The easiest way to install X (and a GUI system) is to use the yum
    > groupinstall feature.
    >
    > First you can see all the yum groups available with the command:
    >
    > yum grouplist
    >
    > You can install X and Gnome or KDE like this:
    >
    > yum groupinstall "X Window System" "GNOME Desktop Environment"
    >
    > or
    >
    > yum groupinstall "X Window System" "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
    >
    > You may also want to add some other groups from the list like "Graphical
    > Internet" or "Office/Productivity"

    noi;

    Thanks for this link. I couldn't get the grouplist to work; now I see I
    needed quotation marks. I will give it a try.

    doug

  13. Re: Add GUI to Server

    "noi ance" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 07:03:57 -0500, Doug Holtz typed this message:
    >
    >> "noi ance" wrote in message
    >>> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 07:12:34 -0500, Doug Holtz typed this message:

    >>> Did you install X11?

    >> noi;
    >>
    >> nice name.
    >>
    >> I tried yum X11 and no packages came up. I did yum xterm and the xterm
    >> package did install. I don't have a startx command on the machine.
    >>
    >> doug

    > http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=50
    >
    > Requested by donavan [donavan] and Answered by Johnny Hughes [hughesjr] on
    > 03-Apr-2006 18:33 (30559 reads)
    >

    > Can I add X to my server after install? or I installed from the Server ISO
    > and it didn't install X, how do I install X?
    >
    > The easiest way to install X (and a GUI system) is to use the yum
    > groupinstall feature.
    >
    > First you can see all the yum groups available with the command:
    >
    > yum grouplist
    >
    > You can install X and Gnome or KDE like this:
    >
    > yum groupinstall "X Window System" "GNOME Desktop Environment"
    >
    > or
    >
    > yum groupinstall "X Window System" "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
    >
    > You may also want to add some other groups from the list like "Graphical
    > Internet" or "Office/Productivity"

    Yes, this worked. Thanks for the link.

    doug

  14. Re: Add GUI to Server

    "Dan Espen" wrote in message
    > "Doug Holtz" writes:
    >
    >> "Dan Espen" wrote in message

    >> I ran yum list all and see that gnome is not all installed. It looks
    >> like I
    >> need to install xorg-x11. may as well try.

    > If that doesn't help, you might want to try "yumex".
    >
    > yum install yumex
    >
    > That will give you a GUI version of yum.
    > Then in the GUI you can select a "Group View".
    > Under "Desktop Environments" you'll see Gnome.

    Thanks again for your help Dan. I have it installed now.

    doug

+ Reply to Thread