Host Only networking with KVM? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Host Only networking with KVM? - Redhat ; I have several questions about networking KVM VMs. I running CentOS5 VMs on Fedora 9. 1) How do you setup Host Only networking in KVM? 2) Does KVM support multiple subnets? If so how do you specify the IP address ...

  1. Host Only networking with KVM?

    I have several questions about networking KVM VMs. I running CentOS5 VMs
    on Fedora 9.

    1) How do you setup Host Only networking in KVM?
    2) Does KVM support multiple subnets? If so how do you specify the IP
    address of a KVM subnet?
    3) Does KVM support shared directories (i.e. host directories that can be
    mounted as partitions in the VM)? If so how do you set them up?

  2. Re: Host Only networking with KVM?

    General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > I have several questions about networking KVM VMs. I running CentOS5 VMs
    > on Fedora 9.

    KVM has pretty much the same UI as QEMU, so you may find your questions
    answered there.

    Chris

  3. Re: Host Only networking with KVM?

    General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > I have several questions about networking KVM VMs. I running CentOS5 VMs
    > on Fedora 9.
    >
    > 1) How do you setup Host Only networking in KVM?

    No idea, in general I'm going the other way and fighting with getting
    connections INTO a VM. :-(

    > 2) Does KVM support multiple subnets? If so how do you specify the IP
    > address of a KVM subnet?

    Yes, take a look at the qemu docs. I haven't done it in over a year and
    one quick try didn't work, so I'll leave you with that, it certainly can
    be done.

    > 3) Does KVM support shared directories (i.e. host directories that can be
    > mounted as partitions in the VM)? If so how do you set them up?

    You could specify making a partition or device available to the VM as a
    device, but the safest way is to NFS mount it, so you don't get multiple
    machines stepping on each other.

  4. Re: Host Only networking with KVM?

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:04:46 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:

    > General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >> I have several questions about networking KVM VMs. I running CentOS5
    >> VMs on Fedora 9.
    >>
    >> 1) How do you setup Host Only networking in KVM?

    > No idea, in general I'm going the other way and fighting with getting
    > connections INTO a VM. :-(
    >
    >> 2) Does KVM support multiple subnets? If so how do you specify the IP
    >> address of a KVM subnet?

    > Yes, take a look at the qemu docs. I haven't done it in over a year and
    > one quick try didn't work, so I'll leave you with that, it certainly can
    > be done.
    >
    >> 3) Does KVM support shared directories (i.e. host directories that can
    >> be mounted as partitions in the VM)? If so how do you set them up?
    >>

    > You could specify making a partition or device available to the VM as a
    > device, but the safest way is to NFS mount it, so you don't get multiple
    > machines stepping on each other.

    I've decided to hold off on KVM for a few months at least and stick with
    VMware. In fact I think I'm going to buy a VMware Workstation license
    when my trial license expires. The raw performance of KVM is better than
    VMware if you don't use any virtual IO and it's integrated into the Linux
    Kernel so it's worth keeping an eye on. However it's very immature. It
    has almost no tools and those that are there don't work very well. On the
    other hand VMware is very easy to configure and use. VMware is not
    integrated into Linux so it's a less convenient then it could be but it's
    still way easier to use then KVM in it's current state. By the time
    Fedora 10 comes out I'm hoping that KVM will have reached the usable
    state.

+ Reply to Thread