freeware for data guard - Redhat

This is a discussion on freeware for data guard - Redhat ; Howdy experts, I am looking for a solution to replicate Oracle DB to DR site. My boss does not want me to use dataguard and is asking me to find a freeware solution. If anyone of you is aware of ...

  1. freeware for data guard

    Howdy experts,
    I am looking for a solution to replicate Oracle DB to DR site. My boss
    does not want me to use dataguard and is asking me to find a freeware
    solution. If anyone of you is aware of some data replication solution
    please let me know. I know all about rsync, but he wants something
    better than rsync that could replicate data real time.
    Any information in this regard will be helpful.

    Thanks .

  2. Re: freeware for data guard

    On Jun 8, 3:17 pm, learner wrote:
    > Howdy experts,
    > I am looking for a solution to replicate Oracle DB to DR site. My boss
    > does not want me to use dataguard and is asking me to find a freeware
    > solution. If anyone of you is aware of some data replication solution
    > please let me know. I know all about rsync, but he wants something
    > better than rsync that could replicate data real time.
    > Any information in this regard will be helpful.
    >
    > Thanks .

    There are very good reasons that rsync does not work in real time.
    There are realtime replication solutions - like DRBD. From the tone of
    your question your going to have lots of problems when you try to
    bring up a database on top of realtime file-level replication that has
    unexpectedly stopped.

    If you can afford a proper DR solution then you can afford Dataguard,
    if you can't afford Dataguard, you won't have realtime failover
    capability.

    ...or migrate your apps to MySQL and use the built-in replication.

    C.

  3. Re: freeware for data guard

    Thanks a million for your help.
    We do intend to move to mySQL soon in the coming future, but until we
    move to mySQL we have to bear the licensing cost and other issues
    associated with Oracle.
    My boss hates me because I make him pay for a lot of licenses.
    So dataguard goes out the window for right now.
    If you have information regarding DRBD please let me know.

    Thanks

  4. Re: freeware for data guard

    C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/) wrote:
    > On Jun 8, 3:17 pm, learner wrote:
    >> Howdy experts,
    >> I am looking for a solution to replicate Oracle DB to DR site. My boss
    >> does not want me to use dataguard and is asking me to find a freeware
    >> solution. If anyone of you is aware of some data replication solution
    >> please let me know. I know all about rsync, but he wants something
    >> better than rsync that could replicate data real time.
    >> Any information in this regard will be helpful.
    >>
    >> Thanks .

    > There are very good reasons that rsync does not work in real time.
    > There are realtime replication solutions - like DRBD. From the tone of
    > your question your going to have lots of problems when you try to
    > bring up a database on top of realtime file-level replication that has
    > unexpectedly stopped.

    Define realtime. If you can pause a database and do a 'sync' command to get
    everything written to disk, you can LVM snapshot the underlying LVM filesystem
    and duplicate *that* for backup.

    > If you can afford a proper DR solution then you can afford Dataguard,
    > if you can't afford Dataguard, you won't have realtime failover
    > capability.
    >
    > ...or migrate your apps to MySQL and use the built-in replication.
    >
    > C.

    Agreed.

  5. Re: freeware for data guard

    On Jun 14, 1:57*am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > Define realtime. If you can pause a database and do a 'sync' command to get

    realtime: a system which does not need to be paused to be copied
    coherently.

    Snapshot backups with broken mirrors reduce downtime - they DO NOT
    ELIMIATE IT.

    C.

+ Reply to Thread