Fedora Core 9 Questions - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora Core 9 Questions - Redhat ; Hello, I've two questions: 1. Is FC 9 in full release or still in Beta? 2. I haven't seen a rescue disk for FC 9. Is there one available or have they bundled it within the install dvd? I'm currently ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Fedora Core 9 Questions

  1. Fedora Core 9 Questions

    Hello,

    I've two questions:

    1. Is FC 9 in full release or still in Beta?

    2. I haven't seen a rescue disk for FC 9. Is there one available or
    have they bundled it within the install dvd?

    I'm currently running FC 8 and it has a separate resuce disk.

    Thank you in advance,

    Buck

  2. Re: Fedora Core 9 Questions

    First of all it is Fedora 9 not fedora core 9 as since fedora 7 they
    have merged the core and extras repositories doing away with the
    "core" middle name
    As I am typing this Fedora 9 released 6 days, 3 hours, 26 minutes, and
    36 seconds ago.and yes the release is a full release not a Beta one
    About your second question I am not quite sure but they must have put
    the rescue disk bindled with the dvd itself ..need to check on that


    Buck Rogers wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've two questions:
    >
    > 1. Is FC 9 in full release or still in Beta?
    >
    > 2. I haven't seen a rescue disk for FC 9. Is there one available or
    > have they bundled it within the install dvd?
    >
    > I'm currently running FC 8 and it has a separate resuce disk.
    >
    > Thank you in advance,
    >
    > Buck


  3. Re: Fedora Core 9 Questions

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:29:46 -0700 (PDT), abhishek
    wrote:

    >First of all it is Fedora 9 not fedora core 9 as since fedora 7 they
    >have merged the core and extras repositories doing away with the
    >"core" middle name
    >As I am typing this Fedora 9 released 6 days, 3 hours, 26 minutes, and
    >36 seconds ago.and yes the release is a full release not a Beta one
    >About your second question I am not quite sure but they must have put
    >the rescue disk bindled with the dvd itself ..need to check on that
    >
    >
    >Buck Rogers wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I've two questions:
    >>
    >> 1. Is FC 9 in full release or still in Beta?
    >>
    >> 2. I haven't seen a rescue disk for FC 9. Is there one available or
    >> have they bundled it within the install dvd?
    >>
    >> I'm currently running FC 8 and it has a separate resuce disk.
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance,
    >>
    >> Buck


    Abhishek,

    Thanks for the education, and thanks for the info.

    Regards,

    Buck

  4. Re: Fedora Core 9 Questions

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 11:30:21 -0500, Buck Rogers wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've two questions:
    >
    > 1. Is FC 9 in full release or still in Beta?
    >
    > 2. I haven't seen a rescue disk for FC 9. Is there one available or
    > have they bundled it within the install dvd?
    >
    > I'm currently running FC 8 and it has a separate resuce disk.
    >
    > Thank you in advance,
    >
    > Buck


    Yes it's out. The LiveCD serves as the rescue disk. In F9 they've added
    overlays to the USB FLASH version which makes it possible to install
    additional software and to modify it just like you would a normal Fedora
    system. On my rescue FLASH drive I've added gparted, parted, Xemacs,
    tcsh, ssh, my .csh, .ssh and .xemacs files. When you boot the LiveCD it
    mounts all of the partitions on the system that you've booted on so you
    can get to the /etc/ files of the injured system if you need to (you have
    to su to root to do that). F9 also supports spinning a custom LiveCD if
    you want, however using the overlay feature and doing yum installs is
    easier.

    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Live

  5. Re: Fedora Core 9 Questions

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 05:50:11 -0500, General Schvantzkopf
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 19 May 2008 11:30:21 -0500, Buck Rogers wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I've two questions:
    >>
    >> 1. Is FC 9 in full release or still in Beta?
    >>
    >> 2. I haven't seen a rescue disk for FC 9. Is there one available or
    >> have they bundled it within the install dvd?
    >>
    >> I'm currently running FC 8 and it has a separate resuce disk.
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance,
    >>
    >> Buck

    >
    >Yes it's out. The LiveCD serves as the rescue disk. In F9 they've added
    >overlays to the USB FLASH version which makes it possible to install
    >additional software and to modify it just like you would a normal Fedora
    >system. On my rescue FLASH drive I've added gparted, parted, Xemacs,
    >tcsh, ssh, my .csh, .ssh and .xemacs files. When you boot the LiveCD it
    >mounts all of the partitions on the system that you've booted on so you
    >can get to the /etc/ files of the injured system if you need to (you have
    >to su to root to do that). F9 also supports spinning a custom LiveCD if
    >you want, however using the overlay feature and doing yum installs is
    >easier.
    >
    >http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Live


    General,

    Thanks for the information. I'll DL the LiveCD.

    Regards,

    Buck

  6. Re: Fedora Core 9 Questions

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 09:15:28 -0500, Buck Rogers wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 May 2008 05:50:11 -0500, General Schvantzkopf
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 19 May 2008 11:30:21 -0500, Buck Rogers wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I've two questions:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Is FC 9 in full release or still in Beta?
    >>>
    >>> 2. I haven't seen a rescue disk for FC 9. Is there one available or
    >>> have they bundled it within the install dvd?
    >>>
    >>> I'm currently running FC 8 and it has a separate resuce disk.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you in advance,
    >>>
    >>> Buck

    >>
    >>Yes it's out. The LiveCD serves as the rescue disk. In F9 they've added
    >>overlays to the USB FLASH version which makes it possible to install
    >>additional software and to modify it just like you would a normal Fedora
    >>system. On my rescue FLASH drive I've added gparted, parted, Xemacs,
    >>tcsh, ssh, my .csh, .ssh and .xemacs files. When you boot the LiveCD it
    >>mounts all of the partitions on the system that you've booted on so you
    >>can get to the /etc/ files of the injured system if you need to (you
    >>have to su to root to do that). F9 also supports spinning a custom
    >>LiveCD if you want, however using the overlay feature and doing yum
    >>installs is easier.
    >>
    >>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Live

    >
    > General,
    >
    > Thanks for the information. I'll DL the LiveCD.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Buck


    On your regular F9 system you'll need to install the live-cd tools also.

  7. Re: Fedora Core 9 Questions

    Buck Rogers wrote:
    > I've two questions:


    > 1. Is FC 9 in full release or still in Beta?


    If is a full release. The upgrade caused KDE to reboot itself as its first
    action after finishing booting. This is KDE only not the system. I haven't
    solved the problem yet so I still presume it is my problem. Gnome works fine.

    > 2. I haven't seen a rescue disk for FC 9. Is there one available or
    > have they bundled it within the install dvd?


    Put in the install disk and use the rescue option. If I remember correctly it
    was that way with 8 also.
    --
    With the internet more and more people are finally realizing all governments
    are no more than necessary evils and not to be taken seriously.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 4001
    http://www.giwersworld.org/israel/bombings.phtml a5

  8. Fedora Questions


    I currently have FC5 installed on a server, but the question is :what does
    the "ant_" indicate in front of things like apache when doing a "rpm -qa"?

    -- Herb



  9. Re: Fedora Questions

    "Herb Stein" writes:

    > I currently have FC5 installed on a server, but the question is :what does
    > the "ant_" indicate in front of things like apache when doing a "rpm -qa"?
    >
    > -- Herb


    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Ant

    You do realize that FC5 has been unsupported for almost a year, so you
    have not been getting patches and security updates?

    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LifeCycle

    HTH,

    Marc Schwartz

  10. Re: Fedora Questions


    "Marc Schwartz" wrote in message
    news:m3od6gax2w.fsf@MagicKingdom.localdomain...
    > "Herb Stein" writes:
    >
    >> I currently have FC5 installed on a server, but the question is :what
    >> does
    >> the "ant_" indicate in front of things like apache when doing a
    >> "rpm -qa"?
    >>
    >> -- Herb

    >
    > See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Ant
    >
    > You do realize that FC5 has been unsupported for almost a year, so you
    > have not been getting patches and security updates?
    >
    > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LifeCycle


    I realize that. FC5 was current when the server was last in production.
    I'll grab the latest version tonight. Right now I'm just trying to
    demonstate
    feasibility of a concept to a client.

    Thanks for you observation.

    > HTH,
    >
    > Marc Schwartz


    --
    Herb
    herb@herbstein.com



  11. Re: Fedora Questions

    "Herb Stein" writes:

    > "Marc Schwartz" wrote in message
    > news:m3od6gax2w.fsf@MagicKingdom.localdomain...
    >> "Herb Stein" writes:
    >>
    >>> I currently have FC5 installed on a server, but the question is :what
    >>> does
    >>> the "ant_" indicate in front of things like apache when doing a
    >>> "rpm -qa"?
    >>>
    >>> -- Herb

    >>
    >> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Ant
    >>
    >> You do realize that FC5 has been unsupported for almost a year, so you
    >> have not been getting patches and security updates?
    >>
    >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LifeCycle

    >
    > I realize that. FC5 was current when the server was last in production.
    > I'll grab the latest version tonight. Right now I'm just trying to
    > demonstate
    > feasibility of a concept to a client.
    >
    > Thanks for you observation.


    Not for nothing, but if this is a mission critical server, don't install
    F9 and I would even advise against Fedora in general. There are those
    who use Fedora on servers, but if you want an RH based, free Linux
    distribution, check into CentOS. It is based upon RHEL, which is better
    suited to server platforms, where stability, not having the latest
    and greatest of everything, is the priority.

    F9 right now has several components, including Xorg, which are
    pre-release and given that we are less than 30 days since release,
    updates have been fast and furious. I am running F9 on my laptop, but
    would not recommend it for servers.

    If you want to stay with Fedora, install F8 which is more mature at this
    point and will be supported for a while yet.

    My $0.02.

    Marc

  12. Re: Fedora Questions

    Marc Schwartz wrote:
    > "Herb Stein" writes:
    >
    >> "Marc Schwartz" wrote in message
    >> news:m3od6gax2w.fsf@MagicKingdom.localdomain...
    >>> "Herb Stein" writes:
    >>>
    >>>> I currently have FC5 installed on a server, but the question is :what
    >>>> does
    >>>> the "ant_" indicate in front of things like apache when doing a
    >>>> "rpm -qa"?
    >>>>
    >>>> -- Herb
    >>> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Ant
    >>>
    >>> You do realize that FC5 has been unsupported for almost a year, so you
    >>> have not been getting patches and security updates?
    >>>
    >>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LifeCycle

    >> I realize that. FC5 was current when the server was last in production.
    >> I'll grab the latest version tonight. Right now I'm just trying to
    >> demonstate
    >> feasibility of a concept to a client.
    >>
    >> Thanks for you observation.

    >
    > Not for nothing, but if this is a mission critical server, don't install
    > F9 and I would even advise against Fedora in general. There are those
    > who use Fedora on servers, but if you want an RH based, free Linux
    > distribution, check into CentOS. It is based upon RHEL, which is better
    > suited to server platforms, where stability, not having the latest
    > and greatest of everything, is the priority.


    CentOS, like RHEL, has a big problem. It's always at least a year if not 3
    behind Fedora in open source toolkits. The result is that you have to go to
    non-RHEL repositories, like EPEL and RPMforge, to get quite useful tools for
    new services. I've been through this extensively with Xen, Musicbrainz, and
    bugzilla, for years.

    > F9 right now has several components, including Xorg, which are
    > pre-release and given that we are less than 30 days since release,
    > updates have been fast and furious. I am running F9 on my laptop, but
    > would not recommend it for servers.
    >
    > If you want to stay with Fedora, install F8 which is more mature at this
    > point and will be supported for a while yet.
    >
    > My $0.02.
    >
    > Marc


    That makes good sense, and it's a straightforward upgrade down the road when
    F9 has settled down a bit more.

+ Reply to Thread