Re: Fedora 9 | changing login screen? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Re: Fedora 9 | changing login screen? - Redhat ; cooch17@NOSPAMverizon.net wrote: > cooch17@NOSPAMverizon.net wrote: >> Greetings - >> >> I have a number of machines, all running FC7 or FC8. I recently >> decided to have a look at FC9, so took the least important of my >> machines, ...

  1. Re: Fedora 9 | changing login screen?

    cooch17@NOSPAMverizon.net wrote:
    > cooch17@NOSPAMverizon.net wrote:
    >> Greetings -
    >>
    >> I have a number of machines, all running FC7 or FC8. I recently
    >> decided to have a look at FC9, so took the least important of my
    >> machines, reformatted / (left /home intact), and did the clean
    >> install. Seemed to go fine.
    >>
    >> However, once I fired up FC9, ran into a slew of issues - some minor,
    >> some less so. I'll start with a minor one - where the heck is the menu
    >> item to change attributes of the login screen? On all my other Fedora
    >> boxes, its System | Administration | Login Screen. But, on the Fedora
    >> 9 box, no such menu item (come to think of it - several of other menu
    >> items I normally find on System | Administration are missing, but I'll
    >> start with the Login Screen item.
    >>
    >> Oh, and before someone asks, logged in to default gnome desktop as root.
    >>
    >> I'm stumped/puzzled. Suggestions? Pointers to the obvious?

    > Oh, and I looked for gdmsetup in all the usual places - doesn't exist.
    >
    > How very weird. Perhaps Redhat/Fedora doesn't want us to play with the
    > spiffy read: annoying) new gdm?

    Actually it's Gnome (i.e., the Gnome Project) that doesn't provide the
    option/utility to change the greeter (aka login screen). Lots of other
    folks have complained about its inflexibility, too.

    If you get ambitious, there are some things you can change by editing
    the GConf structures for the gdm user. Like you can hide the
    reboot/shutdown buttons if you want (and a very few other useless
    things). As of about a week ago, Gnome added an option to hide the user
    list on the login screen, an excellent improvement that would be nice if
    it came downstream to Fedora.

    The best documentation on what you can and cannot do is at www.gnome.org.

  2. Re: Fedora 9 | changing login screen?

    Allen Kistler wrote:

    > cooch17@NOSPAMverizon.net wrote:
    >> cooch17@NOSPAMverizon.net wrote:
    >>> Greetings -
    >>>
    >>> I have a number of machines, all running FC7 or FC8. I recently
    >>> decided to have a look at FC9, so took the least important of my
    >>> machines, reformatted / (left /home intact), and did the clean
    >>> install. Seemed to go fine.
    >>>
    >>> However, once I fired up FC9, ran into a slew of issues - some minor,
    >>> some less so. I'll start with a minor one - where the heck is the menu
    >>> item to change attributes of the login screen? On all my other Fedora
    >>> boxes, its System | Administration | Login Screen. But, on the Fedora
    >>> 9 box, no such menu item (come to think of it - several of other menu
    >>> items I normally find on System | Administration are missing, but I'll
    >>> start with the Login Screen item.
    >>>
    >>> Oh, and before someone asks, logged in to default gnome desktop as
    >>> root.
    >>>
    >>> I'm stumped/puzzled. Suggestions? Pointers to the obvious?

    >> Oh, and I looked for gdmsetup in all the usual places - doesn't exist.
    >>
    >> How very weird. Perhaps Redhat/Fedora doesn't want us to play with the
    >> spiffy read: annoying) new gdm?

    > Actually it's Gnome (i.e., the Gnome Project) that doesn't provide the
    > option/utility to change the greeter (aka login screen). Lots of other
    > folks have complained about its inflexibility, too.
    >
    > If you get ambitious, there are some things you can change by editing
    > the GConf structures for the gdm user. Like you can hide the
    > reboot/shutdown buttons if you want (and a very few other useless
    > things). As of about a week ago, Gnome added an option to hide the user
    > list on the login screen, an excellent improvement that would be nice if
    > it came downstream to Fedora.
    >
    > The best documentation on what you can and cannot do is at www.gnome.org.

    I know this is a late, late, L-A-T-E followup, but this needs to be said.

    I installed FC9 on a Compaq Deskpro running a Pentium III @ 1.2GHz
    (Coppermine) with 384MB RAM. I have had it on this desktop for two weeks.

    As of now, I am scrubbing the HDD and installing SuSE on it. Fedora really
    f***ed the pooch here. Screen resolution changes with each login. GNOME can
    go jump off a pier for all I care. I really dislike the fact that all of
    the desktop managers (icewm, fvwm, etc) are now gone (my last install was
    FC6).

    The only other time I was more disappointed in an OS was when I first used
    Vista.

    Fedora Project phucked up big time with 9.

+ Reply to Thread