Just installed Fedora Core 8. No root password ??? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Just installed Fedora Core 8. No root password ??? - Redhat ; I just installed Fedora Core 8. All went well. After the 1st reboot I was prompted by "last stage" setup which included setting up the first "normal" user (i.e. no administrative privileges). I logged in with that account without any ...

  1. Just installed Fedora Core 8. No root password ???

    I just installed Fedora Core 8. All went well. After the 1st reboot I
    was prompted by "last stage" setup which included setting up the first
    "normal" user (i.e. no administrative privileges).

    I logged in with that account without any problem. However, when I
    arrived to my first task in configuring something in the system, I was
    prompted for the 'root' password.

    Problem is... I never entered any root password. The installation went
    almost completely unattended, so Fedora may have prompted for such
    password then timed out with some default?

    Anyway, my question is: How do I find out what that "default" root
    password it? (it is not that first normal user's password - I already
    tried that).

    Thanks,
    Sweng

  2. Re: Just installed Fedora Core 8. No root password ???

    On May 6, 4:09 pm, swengtoo wrote:
    > I just installed Fedora Core 8. All went well. After the 1st reboot I
    > was prompted by "last stage" setup which included setting up the first
    > "normal" user (i.e. no administrative privileges).
    >
    > I logged in with that account without any problem. However, when I
    > arrived to my first task in configuring something in the system, I was
    > prompted for the 'root' password.
    >
    > Problem is... I never entered any root password. The installation went
    > almost completely unattended, so Fedora may have prompted for such
    > password then timed out with some default?
    >
    > Anyway, my question is: How do I find out what that "default" root
    > password it? (it is not that first normal user's password - I already
    > tried that).
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sweng

    I Solved the problem. Here is how:

    1) Reboot and at the GRUB prompt move cursor to the 2nd line
    and append: 'linux single'
    2) The kernel will load up and you will be straight into a root shell.
    3) Now type 'passwd root' to set the new password and reboot to
    resume operations.

    Thank me, :-)
    Sweng

  3. Re: Just installed Fedora Core 8. No root password ???

    On May 6, 4:09 pm, swengtoo wrote:
    > I just installed Fedora Core 8. All went well. After the 1st reboot I
    > was prompted by "last stage" setup which included setting up the first
    > "normal" user (i.e. no administrative privileges).
    >
    > I logged in with that account without any problem. However, when I
    > arrived to my first task in configuring something in the system, I was
    > prompted for the 'root' password.
    >
    > Problem is... I never entered any root password. The installation went
    > almost completely unattended, so Fedora may have prompted for such
    > password then timed out with some default?
    >
    > Anyway, my question is: How do I find out what that "default" root
    > password it? (it is not that first normal user's password - I already
    > tried that).
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sweng

    I found a solution. Here is how:

    1) Reboot and at the GRUB prompt move cursor to the 2nd line
    and append: 'linux single'
    2) The kernel will load up and you will be straight into a root shell.
    3) Now type 'passwd root' to set the new password and reboot
    to resume operations.

    The only question remaining now is: How on earth did Fedora
    installation let a situation like this happen? I mean, the average
    Microsoft Windows installer would never have patience to deal with
    such an installation bug... or has the Linux community completely
    given up on the Desktop market?

  4. Re: Just installed Fedora Core 8. No root password ???

    swengtoo writes:

    > I just installed Fedora Core 8. All went well. After the 1st reboot I
    > was prompted by "last stage" setup which included setting up the first
    > "normal" user (i.e. no administrative privileges).
    >
    > I logged in with that account without any problem. However, when I
    > arrived to my first task in configuring something in the system, I was
    > prompted for the 'root' password.
    >
    > Problem is... I never entered any root password. The installation went
    > almost completely unattended, so Fedora may have prompted for such
    > password then timed out with some default?
    >
    > Anyway, my question is: How do I find out what that "default" root
    > password it? (it is not that first normal user's password - I already
    > tried that).

    I don't know about a default root password, but here's how you can set
    a new one:

    1. Boot the computer, and press a key (if necessary) so that you get
    to the GRUB boot menu.

    2. Use the up or down arrow keys to select the Linux kernel you want.
    (You probably only have one, so you don't have to do anything at
    this step.)

    3. Press "e" to edit the commands before booting.

    4. Move down to the "kernel" line with the arrow keys.

    5. Press "e" to edit the command line arguments.

    6. The cursor should be positioned at the end of the command line
    arguments. Type a space and the number "1" at the end.

    7. Press ENTER to accept your changes, then press "b" to boot.

    Your computer now boots into single user mode. It gives you a prompt
    for a command. You are already logged in as the root user.

    8. Enter "passwd", which is the program to change your password.
    Type your new password, followed by ENTER. You will be prompted
    to enter your password again to confirm it.

    The root password has now been changed, and you didn't have to know
    what the old password was.

    9. When prompted again for a command, type a Ctrl-D. Your computer
    will switch to runlevel 5, which will give you the normal login
    screen you're familiar with.

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  5. Re: Just installed Fedora Core 8. No root password ???

    "swengtoo" wrote in message

    > However, when I
    > arrived to my first task in configuring something in the system, I was
    > prompted for the 'root' password.
    >
    > Problem is... I never entered any root password.

    Just because you don't remember what password you used for the root account
    during installation..

  6. Re: Just installed Fedora Core 8. No root password ???

    On May 6, 7:56 pm, "h.stroph" wrote:
    > "swengtoo" wrote in message

    > > However, when I
    > > arrived to my first task in configuring something in the system, I was
    > > prompted for the 'root' password.

    > > Problem is... I never entered any root password.

    > Just because you don't remember what password you used for the root
    > account during installation..

    Hmmm... I hope that you are right. But AFAICR I wasn't prompted for
    any root password.

  7. Re: Just installed Fedora Core 8. No root password ???

    On May 6, 6:57 pm, Scott Hemphill wrote:
    > swengtoo writes:
    > > I just installed Fedora Core 8. All went well. After the 1st reboot I
    > > was prompted by "last stage" setup which included setting up the first
    > > "normal" user (i.e. no administrative privileges).

    > > I logged in with that account without any problem. However, when I
    > > arrived to my first task in configuring something in the system, I was
    > > prompted for the 'root' password.

    > > Problem is... I never entered any root password. The installation went
    > > almost completely unattended, so Fedora may have prompted for such
    > > password then timed out with some default?

    > > Anyway, my question is: How do I find out what that "default" root
    > > password it? (it is not that first normal user's password - I already
    > > tried that).

    > I don't know about a default root password, but here's how you can set
    > a new one:
    >
    > 1. Boot the computer, and press a key (if necessary) so that you get
    > to the GRUB boot menu.
    >
    > 2. Use the up or down arrow keys to select the Linux kernel you want.
    > (You probably only have one, so you don't have to do anything at
    > this step.)
    >
    > 3. Press "e" to edit the commands before booting.
    >
    > 4. Move down to the "kernel" line with the arrow keys.
    >
    > 5. Press "e" to edit the command line arguments.
    >
    > 6. The cursor should be positioned at the end of the command line
    > arguments. Type a space and the number "1" at the end.
    >
    > 7. Press ENTER to accept your changes, then press "b" to boot.
    >
    > Your computer now boots into single user mode. It gives you a prompt
    > for a command. You are already logged in as the root user.
    >
    > 8. Enter "passwd", which is the program to change your password.
    > Type your new password, followed by ENTER. You will be prompted
    > to enter your password again to confirm it.
    >
    > The root password has now been changed, and you didn't have to know
    > what the old password was.
    >
    > 9. When prompted again for a command, type a Ctrl-D. Your computer
    > will switch to runlevel 5, which will give you the normal login
    > screen you're familiar with.
    >
    > Scott

    Thank you Scott. That is exactly what I did - and it worked.

+ Reply to Thread