Internet Sharing on Fedora - Redhat

This is a discussion on Internet Sharing on Fedora - Redhat ; In Mandrake, there was an option in the device setup similar to Windows that you merely clicked to activate Internet sharing on that network card. It's not on Fedora 7. Do I have to use Squid? Or is there another ...

  1. Internet Sharing on Fedora

    In Mandrake, there was an option in the device setup similar to Windows
    that you merely clicked to activate Internet sharing on that network card.

    It's not on Fedora 7. Do I have to use Squid? Or is there another option?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Internet Sharing on Fedora

    GeekBoy wrote:
    > In Mandrake, there was an option in the device setup similar to Windows
    > that you merely clicked to activate Internet sharing on that network card.
    >
    > It's not on Fedora 7. Do I have to use Squid? Or is there another option?
    >
    > Thanks

    I've never used Mandrake, but if it has a simple option in some dialog,
    it probably just hides the real implementation details from you.

    To make changes permanent:

    1. enter
    net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
    in /etc/sysctl.conf

    2. make sure you have routing set up correctly

    3. make sure you have netfilter (aka iptables) set up correctly with
    whatever filtering you need, plus MASQUERADE or SNAT, depending upon
    whether you have a dynamic or static shared address

    Your spiffy Mandrake option probably did 1 & 3 (at least MASQUERADE) for
    you.

  3. Re: Internet Sharing on Fedora

    On Tue, 06 May 2008 15:47:03 -0500, Allen Kistler wrote:

    > GeekBoy wrote:
    >> In Mandrake, there was an option in the device setup similar to Windows
    >> that you merely clicked to activate Internet sharing on that network
    >> card.
    >>
    >> It's not on Fedora 7. Do I have to use Squid? Or is there another
    >> option?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > I've never used Mandrake, but if it has a simple option in some dialog,
    > it probably just hides the real implementation details from you.
    >
    > To make changes permanent:
    >
    > 1. enter
    > net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
    > in /etc/sysctl.conf
    >
    > 2. make sure you have routing set up correctly
    >
    > 3. make sure you have netfilter (aka iptables) set up correctly with
    > whatever filtering you need, plus MASQUERADE or SNAT, depending upon
    > whether you have a dynamic or static shared address
    >
    > Your spiffy Mandrake option probably did 1 & 3 (at least MASQUERADE) for
    > you.

    Thanks a lot for the input. I will give it a try.
    Is there a built-in NAT?

  4. Re: Internet Sharing on Fedora

    GeekBoy wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 May 2008 15:47:03 -0500, Allen Kistler wrote:
    >
    >> GeekBoy wrote:
    >>> In Mandrake, there was an option in the device setup similar to Windows
    >>> that you merely clicked to activate Internet sharing on that network
    >>> card.
    >>>
    >>> [snip]

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> 3. make sure you have netfilter (aka iptables) set up correctly with
    >> whatever filtering you need, plus MASQUERADE or SNAT, depending upon
    >> whether you have a dynamic or static shared address
    >>
    >> Your spiffy Mandrake option probably did 1 & 3 (at least MASQUERADE) for
    >> you.

    > Thanks a lot for the input. I will give it a try.
    > Is there a built-in NAT?

    I'm not sure what you intend by "built-in."
    The netfilter actions MASQUERADE, DNAT, and SNAT accomplish NAT.
    "man iptables" and/or Google zillions of pages for more info.

+ Reply to Thread