Internet connection sharing - Redhat

This is a discussion on Internet connection sharing - Redhat ; Hello Soldiers I have a small mission. I have RHEL 5 on my computer... Connected to internet.. Have two NICS. Internet works fine .. no problem... I have another Computer having Windows XP... connected to linux compueter..through 2nd NICS . ...

  1. Internet connection sharing

    Hello Soldiers

    I have a small mission. I have RHEL 5 on my computer... Connected to
    internet.. Have two NICS.

    Internet works fine .. no problem...

    I have another Computer having Windows XP... connected to linux
    compueter..through 2nd NICS . I want internet on windows computer as
    well.

    So any Soldier knows how share internet in RHEL 5..

    Okay soldiers please pick u r weapons up

    yes please

  2. Re: Internet connection sharing

    varin312@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello Soldiers
    >
    > I have a small mission. I have RHEL 5 on my computer... Connected to
    > internet.. Have two NICS.
    >
    > Internet works fine .. no problem...
    >
    > I have another Computer having Windows XP... connected to linux
    > compueter..through 2nd NICS . I want internet on windows computer as
    > well.
    >
    > So any Soldier knows how share internet in RHEL 5..

    Sure. I suggest you read the book, "Red Hat Linux Firewalls" by Bill
    McCarty, especially chapters 9 and 10 that are about _iptables_. Basically,
    you will want your RHEL5 box that is connected to the Internet to do NAT
    (and you might as well have it be a firewall for the Windows XP machine as
    well). This is explained in Chapter 10, but you will need the background of
    Chapter 9 to get up to speed for Chapter 10.

    Roughly, your "firewall" will look like this:

    EXTDEV1=eth0
    EXTIP1=`/sbin/ifconfig $EXTDEV1 | grep "inet addr:" | \
    awk -F: {'print $2'} | cut -d\ -f 1`
    EXTNET1=$EXTIP1/24

    $IPT -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $EXTDEV1 -j SNAT --to-source $EXTIP1

    That should do it, but you sure should make the firewall do some firewalling
    too, expecially for Windows boxen.

    ^^-^^ 17:00:01 up 46 days, 22:02, 3 users, load average: 4.41, 4.20, 4.11

+ Reply to Thread