Configuring LDAP client with RH Directory Server - Redhat

This is a discussion on Configuring LDAP client with RH Directory Server - Redhat ; Hi. I've made a test installation ("typical" installation) of Red Hat Directory Server, and are trying to configure a client with the LDAP server. On the client I've run "system-config-authentication", entered the necessary LDAP information under both the "User Information" ...

  1. Configuring LDAP client with RH Directory Server

    Hi.

    I've made a test installation ("typical" installation) of Red Hat
    Directory Server, and are trying to configure a client with the LDAP
    server.

    On the client I've run "system-config-authentication", entered the
    necessary LDAP information under both the "User Information" tab and
    "Authentication" tab, and restarted the client, but I doesn't seem to
    work. Running "getent passwd" on the client doesn't list the user
    added on the DS.

    Any ideas as to debugging this? I should add that I'm new to LDAP.

    Regards,
    kenneho

  2. Re: Configuring LDAP client with RH Directory Server

    I tried setting up both client and LDAP server on the same host. Now /
    var/log/messages tells me this:

    ntpd[1813]: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server
    ldap://127.0.0.1/: Can't contact LDAP server

    The firewall is disabled, and the LDAP services seems to be running
    fine.

  3. Re: Configuring LDAP client with RH Directory Server

    kenneho wrote:
    > I tried setting up both client and LDAP server on the same host. Now /
    > var/log/messages tells me this:
    >
    > ntpd[1813]: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server
    > ldap://127.0.0.1/: Can't contact LDAP server
    >
    > The firewall is disabled, and the LDAP services seems to be running
    > fine.

    Kenneho,

    How do you know the LDAP server is running?

    What do the following command show?

    /etc/init.d/dirsrv status
    /etc/init.d/dirsrv-admin status

    and what does the following command show?

    /etc/init.d/ldap status

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

+ Reply to Thread