Update to getting Wireless working - Redhat

This is a discussion on Update to getting Wireless working - Redhat ; Hey Zappa, Those Livna packages worked great. It is functioning now, but not the way I need it to work. Not this is a totally bad thing, but it did connect to someone else's network when I activated wlan1. However ...

  1. Update to getting Wireless working

    Hey Zappa,

    Those Livna packages worked great.

    It is functioning now, but not the way I need it to work.

    Not this is a totally bad thing, but it did connect to someone else's
    network when I activated wlan1.

    However I do need it to connect to mine or another sooner or later.

    Seems it did it on its own. I tried using WiFi Radar to connect to my
    secure network.

    What to use to choose my connection. or is the MadWifi part of that and I
    just need to look it up?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Update to getting Wireless working

    GeekBoy wrote:
    > Hey Zappa,
    >
    > Those Livna packages worked great.
    >
    > It is functioning now, but not the way I need it to work.
    >
    > Not this is a totally bad thing, but it did connect to someone else's
    > network when I activated wlan1.
    >
    > However I do need it to connect to mine or another sooner or later.
    >
    > Seems it did it on its own. I tried using WiFi Radar to connect to my
    > secure network.
    >
    > What to use to choose my connection. or is the MadWifi part of that and I
    > just need to look it up?
    >
    > Thanks

    If you bring up Wireless Assistant - you should find it under "System -
    Preferences -Wireless Assistant" - it will give you the list of access
    points that your computer is receiving. It also tells you what security
    is on each access point. If your AP is working OK it should be listed.

  3. Re: Update to getting Wireless working

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 17:00:25 +1000, zappa wrote:

    > GeekBoy wrote:
    >> Hey Zappa,
    >>
    >> Those Livna packages worked great.
    >>
    >> It is functioning now, but not the way I need it to work.
    >>
    >> Not this is a totally bad thing, but it did connect to someone else's
    >> network when I activated wlan1.
    >>
    >> However I do need it to connect to mine or another sooner or later.
    >>
    >> Seems it did it on its own. I tried using WiFi Radar to connect to my
    >> secure network.
    >>
    >> What to use to choose my connection. or is the MadWifi part of that and
    >> I just need to look it up?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > If you bring up Wireless Assistant - you should find it under "System -
    > Preferences -Wireless Assistant" - it will give you the list of access
    > points that your computer is receiving. It also tells you what security
    > is on each access point. If your AP is working OK it should be listed.

    yes, yes...just what I was looking for.
    It was not on the box so I had to install it.

    The wireless network at the university is seen by it, but a bit weak.

    Time to order the Cantenna instead of this Fry's special Airlink 101
    bidirectional antenna.

    But it seems I still have a problem. The student wireless network
    requires PEAP to connect. I don't see that ability here.

    (Windows XP Setup instructions)
    http://www.utpa.edu/helpdesk/tutoria...rial.asp?id=26

    Thanks a lot.

  4. Re: Update to getting Wireless working

    GeekBoy wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 17:00:25 +1000, zappa wrote:
    >
    >> GeekBoy wrote:
    >>> Hey Zappa,
    >>>
    >>> Those Livna packages worked great.
    >>>
    >>> It is functioning now, but not the way I need it to work.
    >>>
    >>> Not this is a totally bad thing, but it did connect to someone else's
    >>> network when I activated wlan1.
    >>>
    >>> However I do need it to connect to mine or another sooner or later.
    >>>
    >>> Seems it did it on its own. I tried using WiFi Radar to connect to my
    >>> secure network.
    >>>
    >>> What to use to choose my connection. or is the MadWifi part of that and
    >>> I just need to look it up?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> If you bring up Wireless Assistant - you should find it under "System -
    >> Preferences -Wireless Assistant" - it will give you the list of access
    >> points that your computer is receiving. It also tells you what security
    >> is on each access point. If your AP is working OK it should be listed.

    > yes, yes...just what I was looking for.
    > It was not on the box so I had to install it.
    >
    > The wireless network at the university is seen by it, but a bit weak.
    >
    > Time to order the Cantenna instead of this Fry's special Airlink 101
    > bidirectional antenna.
    >
    > But it seems I still have a problem. The student wireless network
    > requires PEAP to connect. I don't see that ability here.
    >
    > (Windows XP Setup instructions)
    > http://www.utpa.edu/helpdesk/tutoria...rial.asp?id=26
    >

    > Thanks a lot.

    Sorry but I'm not familiar with PEAP, only WEP & WPA (1 & 2). I'll have
    a look at your URL & get back!

    Z.

  5. Re: Update to getting Wireless working

    zappa writes:

    >GeekBoy wrote:

    >>> If you bring up Wireless Assistant - you should find it under "System -
    >>> Preferences -Wireless Assistant" - it will give you the list of access
    >>> points that your computer is receiving. It also tells you what security
    >>> is on each access point. If your AP is working OK it should be listed.

    >> yes, yes...just what I was looking for.
    >> It was not on the box so I had to install it.
    >>
    >> The wireless network at the university is seen by it, but a bit weak.
    >>
    >> Time to order the Cantenna instead of this Fry's special Airlink 101
    >> bidirectional antenna.
    >>
    >> But it seems I still have a problem. The student wireless network
    >> requires PEAP to connect. I don't see that ability here.
    >>
    >> (Windows XP Setup instructions)
    >> http://www.utpa.edu/helpdesk/tutoria...rial.asp?id=26
    >>

    >> Thanks a lot.

    >Sorry but I'm not familiar with PEAP, only WEP & WPA (1 & 2). I'll have
    >a look at your URL & get back!

    >Z.

    PEAP is a form of WPA telling it how to get the passwords, etc.
    You probbly have to code /etc/iwconfig.conf by hand for that network.

    If it is a new iwconfig, that is possible. You donot say how old your
    system is.

  6. Re: Update to getting Wireless working

    "Unruh" wrote in message
    > zappa writes:
    >
    >>GeekBoy wrote:

    >>> yes, yes...just what I was looking for.
    >>> It was not on the box so I had to install it.
    >>>
    >>> The wireless network at the university is seen by it, but a bit weak.
    >>>
    >>> Time to order the Cantenna instead of this Fry's special Airlink 101
    >>> bidirectional antenna.
    >>>
    >>> But it seems I still have a problem. The student wireless network
    >>> requires PEAP to connect. I don't see that ability here.
    >>>
    >>> (Windows XP Setup instructions)
    >>> http://www.utpa.edu/helpdesk/tutoria...rial.asp?id=26
    >>>

    >>> Thanks a lot.

    >>Sorry but I'm not familiar with PEAP, only WEP & WPA (1 & 2). I'll have
    >>a look at your URL & get back!

    >>Z.

    > PEAP is a form of WPA telling it how to get the passwords, etc.
    > You probbly have to code /etc/iwconfig.conf by hand for that network.
    >
    > If it is a new iwconfig, that is possible. You donot say how old your
    > system is.

    I got the graphic front end ofr it, and it works great.

+ Reply to Thread