vnc does not show *same* screen, it opens a new session instead - Redhat

This is a discussion on vnc does not show *same* screen, it opens a new session instead - Redhat ; I've used WinVNC before, and am now trying out VNC on Linux The thing I found most useful and cool about WinVNC was the ability to *share* control of a single desktop. For example, if I wanted to show a ...

  1. vnc does not show *same* screen, it opens a new session instead

    I've used WinVNC before, and am now trying out VNC on Linux

    The thing I found most useful and cool about WinVNC was the ability to
    *share* control of a single desktop. For example, if I wanted to show
    a friend how to do something or vice-versa, he could simply browse to
    my VNC, and both parties will be looking at the *same display*, and
    both can (take turns to) input.

    I have tried searching on forums and groups how to do the same in
    Linux.

    The general solution suggested is to start vncserver on linux using
    the following command:
    vncserver -alwaysshared

    To be doubly sure, that client settings are not overriding this
    sharing behaviour
    And when starting the vncviewer (either on a windows or on another
    linux machine ), use -shared option (or set it in the Options window)

    I have tried all this, and it doesnt work.

    Is my xstartup file an issue. Please have a look:
    #!/bin/sh

    # Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
    unset SESSION_MANAGER
    exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

    [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
    [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    vncconfig -iconic &
    xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    startkde &

    If I do ps ax|grep vnc on the linux box where vncserver is running, I
    get

    ps ax|grep vnc

    6496 ? S 0:00 Xvnc :1 -desktop dhcp-hyd-phase2-ground-
    floor-10-176-83-160.idc.oracle.com:1 (root) -httpd /usr/share/vnc/
    classes -auth /tmp/.gdmNPMJAU -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -rfbwait
    30000 -rfbauth /root/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5901 -pn
    15889 pts/5 S 0:00 Xvnc :2 -desktop dhcp-hyd-phase2-ground-
    floor-10-176-83-160.idc.oracle.com:2 (root) -httpd /usr/share/vnc/
    classes -auth /tmp/.gdmNPMJAU -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -rfbwait
    30000 -rfbauth /root/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5902 -pn -alwaysshared
    16197 pts/5 S+ 0:00 grep vnc

    This tells me if I connect to 10.176.83.160:2 then I will get shared
    access.

    Please help me...

    Thanks,

    john

  2. Re: vnc does not show *same* screen, it opens a new session instead

    jstein.soa@gmail.com writes:
    >I've used WinVNC before, and am now trying out VNC on Linux
    >
    >The thing I found most useful and cool about WinVNC was the ability to
    >*share* control of a single desktop. For example, if I wanted to show
    >a friend how to do something or vice-versa, he could simply browse to
    >my VNC, and both parties will be looking at the *same display*, and
    >both can (take turns to) input.
    >
    >I have tried searching on forums and groups how to do the same in
    >Linux.
    >
    >The general solution suggested is to start vncserver on linux using
    >the following command:
    >vncserver -alwaysshared

    What you want is 'x11vnc'. google it.

    scott

  3. Re: vnc does not show *same* screen, it opens a new session instead

    On Apr 25, 8:27 pm, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:
    > jstein....@gmail.com writes:
    > >I've used WinVNC before, and am now trying out VNC on Linux

    > >The thing I found most useful and cool about WinVNC was the ability to
    > >*share* control of a single desktop. For example, if I wanted to show
    > >a friend how to do something or vice-versa, he could simply browse to
    > >my VNC, and both parties will be looking at the *same display*, and
    > >both can (take turns to) input.

    > >I have tried searching on forums and groups how to do the same in
    > >Linux.

    > >The general solution suggested is to start vncserver on linux using
    > >the following command:
    > >vncserver -alwaysshared

    > What you want is 'x11vnc'. google it.
    >
    > scott