I'm using CentOS4.6 in a virtual machine (that shouldn't matter for
this) that I'm setting up to provide a service here. Anyway, I'd
gotten everything configured just fine, no former problems with yum or
anything else on the system and then I find out I need to try to
provide libdb.so.1 for my new server proggie.

So I break out yum and begin searching for something that will provide
that. But it doesn't go very far, because out of nowhere 'yum' comes
back with:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined symbol:
xmlNewDocPI

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.3.4 (#1, May 2 2007, 19:26:00)
[GCC 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-8)]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I have absolutely no clue what might've broken this. I've never had a
problem using yum on the machine and I've added a few packages to it
previously without a problem. Anyway to try to fix it I manually
snagged 'libxml2-python-2.6.16-10.i386.rpm' from the CentOS4
repository, which is where libxml2mod.so is provided. I had to force
an install because it said it was already there.

Of course, it fixed nothing.

Does anybody have any ideas of what I might be able to do about this
other than a full reinstall? I'm thankful for anything you might have
about this; I don't get a chance to use CentOS very often, and I'm
afraid that I don't know nearly as much about it as a few other
variants.

Thanks for your time and assistance!

Damon Getsman
Linux/Solaris System Administrator