CentOS4.6; yum spontaneously broke (libxml2mod.so undef. symbolxmlNewDocPI) - Redhat

This is a discussion on CentOS4.6; yum spontaneously broke (libxml2mod.so undef. symbolxmlNewDocPI) - Redhat ; I'm using CentOS4.6 in a virtual machine (that shouldn't matter for this) that I'm setting up to provide a service here. Anyway, I'd gotten everything configured just fine, no former problems with yum or anything else on the system and ...

  1. CentOS4.6; yum spontaneously broke (libxml2mod.so undef. symbolxmlNewDocPI)

    I'm using CentOS4.6 in a virtual machine (that shouldn't matter for
    this) that I'm setting up to provide a service here. Anyway, I'd
    gotten everything configured just fine, no former problems with yum or
    anything else on the system and then I find out I need to try to
    provide libdb.so.1 for my new server proggie.

    So I break out yum and begin searching for something that will provide
    that. But it doesn't go very far, because out of nowhere 'yum' comes
    back with:

    -=-=-=-=-=-=-
    There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
    required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

    /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined symbol:
    xmlNewDocPI

    Please install a package which provides this module, or
    verify that the module is installed correctly.

    It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
    current version of Python, which is:
    2.3.4 (#1, May 2 2007, 19:26:00)
    [GCC 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-8)]
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-

    I have absolutely no clue what might've broken this. I've never had a
    problem using yum on the machine and I've added a few packages to it
    previously without a problem. Anyway to try to fix it I manually
    snagged 'libxml2-python-2.6.16-10.i386.rpm' from the CentOS4
    repository, which is where libxml2mod.so is provided. I had to force
    an install because it said it was already there.

    Of course, it fixed nothing.

    Does anybody have any ideas of what I might be able to do about this
    other than a full reinstall? I'm thankful for anything you might have
    about this; I don't get a chance to use CentOS very often, and I'm
    afraid that I don't know nearly as much about it as a few other
    variants.

    Thanks for your time and assistance!

    Damon Getsman
    Linux/Solaris System Administrator

  2. Re: CentOS4.6; yum spontaneously broke (libxml2mod.so undef. symbolxmlNewDocPI)

    On Apr 24, 1:43 pm, Damon Getsman wrote:
    > So I break out yum and begin searching for something that will provide
    > that. But it doesn't go very far, because out of nowhere 'yum' comes
    > back with:
    >
    > -=-=-=-=-=-=-
    > There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
    > required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:
    >
    > /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined symbol:
    > xmlNewDocPI
    >
    > Please install a package which provides this module, or
    > verify that the module is installed correctly.
    >
    > It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
    > current version of Python, which is:
    > 2.3.4 (#1, May 2 2007, 19:26:00)
    > [GCC 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-8)]
    > -=-=-=-=-=-=-
    >
    > I have absolutely no clue what might've broken this. I've never had a
    > problem using yum on the machine and I've added a few packages to it
    > previously without a problem. Anyway to try to fix it I manually
    > snagged 'libxml2-python-2.6.16-10.i386.rpm' from the CentOS4
    > repository, which is where libxml2mod.so is provided, etc, etc, etc [snip]

    Oh wait. I didn't break anything. Unlike any other distribution that
    I've come across, CentOS just isn't smart enough to know when you run
    'yum' from 'su' that it should still provide access to the same
    dependencies.

    Stability is great, but this is the most obtuse distribution of linux
    that I've ever had the misfortune to be forced to use.

  3. Re: CentOS4.6; yum spontaneously broke (libxml2mod.so undef. symbolxmlNewDocPI)

    On Apr 24, 1:43 pm, Damon Getsman wrote:
    > So I break out yum and begin searching for something that will provide
    > that. But it doesn't go very far, because out of nowhere 'yum' comes
    > back with:
    >
    > -=-=-=-=-=-=-
    > There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
    > required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:
    >
    > /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined symbol:
    > xmlNewDocPI
    >
    > Please install a package which provides this module, or
    > verify that the module is installed correctly.
    >
    > It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
    > current version of Python, which is:
    > 2.3.4 (#1, May 2 2007, 19:26:00)
    > [GCC 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-8)]
    > -=-=-=-=-=-=-
    >
    > I have absolutely no clue what might've broken this. I've never had a
    > problem using yum on the machine and I've added a few packages to it
    > previously without a problem. Anyway to try to fix it I manually
    > snagged 'libxml2-python-2.6.16-10.i386.rpm' from the CentOS4
    > repository, which is where libxml2mod.so is provided, etc, etc, etc [snip]

    Oh wait. I didn't break anything. Unlike any other distribution that
    I've come across, CentOS just isn't smart enough to know when you run
    'yum' from 'su' that it should still provide access to the same
    dependencies.

    Stability is great, but this is the most obtuse distribution of linux
    that I've ever had the misfortune to be forced to use.

  4. Re: CentOS4.6; yum spontaneously broke (libxml2mod.so undef. symbolxmlNewDocPI)

    On Apr 24, 1:43 pm, Damon Getsman wrote:
    > So I break out yum and begin searching for something that will provide
    > that. But it doesn't go very far, because out of nowhere 'yum' comes
    > back with:
    >
    > -=-=-=-=-=-=-
    > There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
    > required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:
    >
    > /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined symbol:
    > xmlNewDocPI
    >
    > Please install a package which provides this module, or
    > verify that the module is installed correctly.
    >
    > It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
    > current version of Python, which is:
    > 2.3.4 (#1, May 2 2007, 19:26:00)
    > [GCC 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-8)]
    > -=-=-=-=-=-=-
    >
    > I have absolutely no clue what might've broken this. I've never had a
    > problem using yum on the machine and I've added a few packages to it
    > previously without a problem. Anyway to try to fix it I manually
    > snagged 'libxml2-python-2.6.16-10.i386.rpm' from the CentOS4
    > repository, which is where libxml2mod.so is provided, etc, etc, etc [snip]

    Oh wait. I didn't break anything. Unlike any other distribution that
    I've come across, CentOS just isn't smart enough to know when you run
    'yum' from 'su' that it should still provide access to the same
    dependencies.

    Stability is great, but this is the most obtuse distribution of linux
    that I've ever had the misfortune to be forced to use.

  5. Re: CentOS4.6; yum spontaneously broke (libxml2mod.so undef. symbolxmlNewDocPI)

    On Apr 25, 12:27 am, "Sandgroper"
    wrote:
    > Use the command su - instead of just su
    >
    > When you use su - it puts you in the environment and path of root and in
    > root's home directory, when you use just plain su it gives you root
    > permissions in the current user environment and path .

    'tis precisely what I did... Still, it's the only distribution I've
    ever had to do that on. Just because something is 'enterprise'
    doesn't necessarily mean it should be more obtuse to use.

  6. Re: CentOS4.6; yum spontaneously broke (libxml2mod.so undef. symbol xmlNewDocPI)

    Damon Getsman staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > On Apr 25, 12:27 am, "Sandgroper" wrote:
    >> Use the command su - instead of just su. When you use su - it puts
    >> you in the environment and path of root and in root's home directory,
    >> when you use just plain su it gives you root permissions in the
    >> current user environment and path .

    > 'tis precisely what I did... Still, it's the only distribution I've
    > ever had to do that on. Just because something is 'enterprise'
    > doesn't necessarily mean it should be more obtuse to use.

    "Enterprise" software generally promises phasers and photon torpedoes.
    What it typically *delivers* is a red shirt. This sounds
    extraordinarily weird. If I were using this system, I might run strace
    on the offending yum command as both "real" root and someone who su
    -'ed, then compare the strace output and find out what precisely is
    going on.

    --
    For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple,
    neat, and wrong.

  7. Re: CentOS4.6; yum spontaneously broke (libxml2mod.so undef. symbolxmlNewDocPI)

    Damon Getsman wrote:
    > On Apr 24, 1:43 pm, Damon Getsman wrote:
    >> So I break out yum and begin searching for something that will provide
    >> that. But it doesn't go very far, because out of nowhere 'yum' comes
    >> back with:
    >>
    >> -=-=-=-=-=-=-
    >> There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
    >> required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:
    >>
    >> /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined symbol:
    >> xmlNewDocPI
    >>
    >> Please install a package which provides this module, or
    >> verify that the module is installed correctly.
    >>
    >> It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
    >> current version of Python, which is:
    >> 2.3.4 (#1, May 2 2007, 19:26:00)
    >> [GCC 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-8)]
    >> -=-=-=-=-=-=-
    >>
    >> I have absolutely no clue what might've broken this. I've never had a
    >> problem using yum on the machine and I've added a few packages to it
    >> previously without a problem. Anyway to try to fix it I manually
    >> snagged 'libxml2-python-2.6.16-10.i386.rpm' from the CentOS4
    >> repository, which is where libxml2mod.so is provided, etc, etc, etc [snip]

    > Oh wait. I didn't break anything. Unlike any other distribution that
    > I've come across, CentOS just isn't smart enough to know when you run
    > 'yum' from 'su' that it should still provide access to the same
    > dependencies.
    >
    > Stability is great, but this is the most obtuse distribution of linux
    > that I've ever had the misfortune to be forced to use.

    What? How did this get confused, via a LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting perhape? The
    root user doens't use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, for seurity reasons.

  8. Re: CentOS4.6; yum spontaneously broke (libxml2mod.so undef. symbolxmlNewDocPI)

    Damon Getsman wrote:
    > On Apr 24, 1:43 pm, Damon Getsman wrote:
    >> So I break out yum and begin searching for something that will provide
    >> that. But it doesn't go very far, because out of nowhere 'yum' comes
    >> back with:
    >>
    >> -=-=-=-=-=-=-
    >> There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
    >> required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:
    >>
    >> /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined symbol:
    >> xmlNewDocPI
    >>
    >> Please install a package which provides this module, or
    >> verify that the module is installed correctly.
    >>
    >> It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
    >> current version of Python, which is:
    >> 2.3.4 (#1, May 2 2007, 19:26:00)
    >> [GCC 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-8)]
    >> -=-=-=-=-=-=-
    >>
    >> I have absolutely no clue what might've broken this. I've never had a
    >> problem using yum on the machine and I've added a few packages to it
    >> previously without a problem. Anyway to try to fix it I manually
    >> snagged 'libxml2-python-2.6.16-10.i386.rpm' from the CentOS4
    >> repository, which is where libxml2mod.so is provided, etc, etc, etc [snip]

    > Oh wait. I didn't break anything. Unlike any other distribution that
    > I've come across, CentOS just isn't smart enough to know when you run
    > 'yum' from 'su' that it should still provide access to the same
    > dependencies.
    >
    > Stability is great, but this is the most obtuse distribution of linux
    > that I've ever had the misfortune to be forced to use.

    What? How did this get confused, via a LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting perhape? The
    root user doens't use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, for seurity reasons.

  9. Re: CentOS4.6; yum spontaneously broke (libxml2mod.so undef. symbolxmlNewDocPI)

    Damon Getsman wrote:
    > On Apr 24, 1:43 pm, Damon Getsman wrote:
    >> So I break out yum and begin searching for something that will provide
    >> that. But it doesn't go very far, because out of nowhere 'yum' comes
    >> back with:
    >>
    >> -=-=-=-=-=-=-
    >> There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
    >> required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:
    >>
    >> /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined symbol:
    >> xmlNewDocPI
    >>
    >> Please install a package which provides this module, or
    >> verify that the module is installed correctly.
    >>
    >> It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
    >> current version of Python, which is:
    >> 2.3.4 (#1, May 2 2007, 19:26:00)
    >> [GCC 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-8)]
    >> -=-=-=-=-=-=-
    >>
    >> I have absolutely no clue what might've broken this. I've never had a
    >> problem using yum on the machine and I've added a few packages to it
    >> previously without a problem. Anyway to try to fix it I manually
    >> snagged 'libxml2-python-2.6.16-10.i386.rpm' from the CentOS4
    >> repository, which is where libxml2mod.so is provided, etc, etc, etc [snip]

    > Oh wait. I didn't break anything. Unlike any other distribution that
    > I've come across, CentOS just isn't smart enough to know when you run
    > 'yum' from 'su' that it should still provide access to the same
    > dependencies.
    >
    > Stability is great, but this is the most obtuse distribution of linux
    > that I've ever had the misfortune to be forced to use.

    What? How did this get confused, via a LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting perhape? The
    root user doens't use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, for seurity reasons.

+ Reply to Thread